“Best Comfortable Bargain Hotel in Recoleta”
Review of Hotel Lion d'Or

Hotel Lion d'Or
Ranked #275 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed May 15, 2009

First, this is not an upscale luxury hotel that caters to the whims of upper crust travellers. It is a very clean, comfortable and simple small hotel that you would find extremely difficult to beat for the money. I requested and got a single room that was quiet. It was certainly small, but very cozy and inviting after hours of exploring Buenos Aires on foot. The bed was quite comfortable. I found all the staff I met to be friendly and helpful.

My only very minor complaint was that my room had no window opening directly to the outside, so it sometimes was a little stuffy. But the classic celiling fan helped to relieve this. The bathroom was also small, but entirely acceptable. Good hot water and water pressure. Bring your own shampoo, as I did not prefer the plastic envelopes of shampoo they furnished. Some may feel slighted that breakfast is not offered, but given the price and location of this hotel, this is insignificant.

I paid $A130 pesos a day, but next time I may well request room 116, a charming looking double with an exterior window but not facing the street. I think this was $A200 a day (about $53 U.S.). Recoleta is one of the very nicest, laid back neighborhoods in the city, and the hotel is on a relatively quiet street in a very convenient location. There are almost always people walking around, as well as off-duty federal police officers moonlighting for private businesses.

No credit cards, so plan ahead for checkout.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
14  Thank MassWineGuy

Reviewed January 1, 2009

I had a very good experience with this hotel. Booking was easy, service at the front desk was friendly and attentive. The room was clean, with high ceilings, a TV with a good selection of channels, and ample wardrobe space. The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. I also found the building quite charming, and I thought it was relatively quiet. As a young single American travelling alone, I thought this was the best hotel I stayed in in Argentina. Also, the location right near the Recoleta cemetery, bars, and shops is unbeatable. Would recommend staying here over a place like Hotel Los Tres Reyes in San Telmo, definitely.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
11  Thank axcxtxixoxn
Reviewed December 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days and regretted staying in this hotel.

We are not fussy. We are mid-budget travelers and mostly value location, cleanliness and safety. While we did indeed get those things, we were annoyed/disappointed by lots of problems.

*There was no breakfast. That's a small thing but worth mentioning.

*We had already arranged in advance to get the nicest and most expensive room in the hotel. I knew that "some rooms had air conditioning". Perhaps it was my fault to assume that the nicest and most expensive room would be one of those with AC... we were wrong. When we arrived it was 96 degrees. When we asked for a room with AC, they said they'd give it to us for 60 pesos more a night (about $20 USD)!!! We felt really swindled-- obviously this was just some "heat inflation" hustle/rip-off because we were already paying the highest amount listed on the website. We felt very cheated.

*furthermore, the room with AC that they transferred us to was the size of a box, with no windows, and an AC that blows directly on your face (and got me sick). We wound up paying so much money for this, way more than we would have paid at other hotels for far better rooms.

* there was ZERO sound privacy- the walls were so thin. every conversation anyone had in their rooms echoed throughout the whole place. Any time the elevator was activated it woke us up in the night. A bunch of drunk women were having loud conversations at 4am and woke us up. It was truly torture.

* finally, they only accept CASH PAYMENTS. I am a budget traveler and had never heard of that before. Sure, this is another thing that I should have known, but I didn't notice their itty-bitty 4" sign saying so, and sent us scrambling around at 6am searching for an ATM before our flight.

Mostly, we would have been way happier staying somewhere different for the same or less price. The only thing you're really paying for in this hotel is proximity to recoleta cemetery, and fellow budget travelers are better off staying somewhere different (maybe in Palermo) and paying for cabs every day. Much cheaper and better value.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank doraphilia
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel Lion Dor for three nights in their most "deluxe" room ($250 pesos/night). We had stayed at this hotel on another trip in late 2006. The location is great - on a quiet street in Recoleta - a very safe and nice area with lots of cafes, etc.

The room we stayed in was very large and had a large new bathroom with a full bathtub/shower. The room was clean and had a/c and a safe.

On our previous stay we had stayed in a more modest room (a couple different ones) which have incredibly small showers. I am a smaller/normal size woman (5'5") and I was "at one" with the shower curtain - water also gets all over the tiny bathroom.

This time we decided to pay the extra $ and upgrade and were glad we did. But if you are on a budget the smaller rooms will suffice. There isn't any breakfast or internet but there is an internet cafe just down the street that costs $1.5 (pesos) an hour and breakfast in BA is very inexpensive.

We found this hotel to be a very dependable clean, safe, budget friendly place in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2008
8  Thank sdcali_traveler
Reviewed November 28, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in May, 2007 for one week. The hotel staff are professional and courteous. The hotel location is ideal. In Recoleta and on a safe, clean street. The hotel is a great bargain, but there are also "nicer" and more expensive rooms. I stayed in the cheapest double room. The furnishings are simple and reminded me of a dorm room. The bathroom is tiny, but the shower is fine for most women. Most of the men I know would want more space. The room was a bit musty (smelled stale), but the price was so good and the property itself has so many benefits, I would highly recommend it. I would return in a heartbeat, unless of course someone else is paying for an upgrade.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank DeskJobDaydreamer
Reviewed November 7, 2007

This small family-run hotel is an extraordinary bargain in the elegant Recoleta district of Buenos Aires. The wealthy residential neighborhood is very clean and safe, and offers many pleasant cafes and services within a few blocks of the hotel. As a single woman, safety was a big concern for me, and I always felt comfortable walking around day or night.

My room was small but very clean, as was the bathroom. The big closet made the room size easier to manage. Amenities included TV and a personal safe, and I appreciated the reading light by the bed. The biggest drawbacks were no air conditioning and no view.

The desk staff mostly spoke passable English, and were courteous about calling for taxis and restaurant reservations for me. They also held my larger luggage for me while I went off to the country for a few days at the end of my trip.

Very positive experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank AmeliaEve
Reviewed February 7, 2007

Myself and my husband stayed here for one night while we overnighted in BA on our way to Iguazu. For 110 pesos(approx $37 USD ) we got a large double room, with a fan and a tiny bathroom. Everything was clean, towels were provided and the fan was sufficent to keep us cool. While the bathroom was tiny, it had a shower with hot water which was all we cared about.

This hotel is in a great location - Recolleta, very central. The woman who works at the desk was not the most friendly but was fine and they looked after our bags while we waited for our bus out of BA. If you are looking for a cheap clean hotel this place will do the job. Dont expect luxury but perfect for the budget travel .. it is a step above a hostel etc.
Niamh - Ireland