“old-style zoo”
Review of Zoo Buenos Aires - CLOSED

Zoo Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: El Zoologico de Buenos Aires tiene por objetivo ser un gran centro de educacion ambiental que forme mejores ciudadanos, mas comprometidos con el bienestar animal y el cuidado de la naturaleza. Paralelamente, que se convierta en un centro de conservacion de especies, con enfasis en la fauna argentina
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Buenos Aires zoo ("Zoológico de Buenos Aires") is an inner city zoo that was founded in the late 19th century. That explains as well rather small cages and an overall slightly outdated concept. You can see that the staff has been trying to modernize the zoo (shifting focus to conversation and animal protection). However, some of the animals (especially the parrots) seem to be living in an reduced environment that (I suppose) a modern zoo would do differently. Still it is a nice place to visit, especially for small children. Food is sold throughout the zoo and children of course enjoy feeding the different animals. Not a must-see for tourists, unless your kids are looking for some "kid"-time. Admission is 10 USD per adult.

1  Thank saltacity

Reviewed July 24, 2014

More like a petting zoo, its a bit small for the animals, so its like old fashioned Zoo in that regard.
But I can see that the Zoo is trying to get people to connect with the animals.
Sadly I wouldn't recommend going here it wasnt for me.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was in Buenos Aires for a whole month, and I think I can honestly say that one of my favorite days was a day at this zoo (not sure if this is sad or not). And yes, my boyfriend and I are both adults without kids. What makes this zoo special from the rest is that you can feed the animals. The best thing to do is to purchase a bucket of food (for 40 pesos) right when you walk in. The food is especially curated for the animals in the zoo, and enclosures will state whether you can feed them or not. The zoo has a lot of free-roaming animals who will not be shy about coming up to beg for food. I especially loved those cute little maras! If you're an animal lover, who uses any chance you get to get close to animals, this will truly provide a guilt-free unforgettable experience!

Now on to the zoo itself: The setting is very peaceful and beautiful with many ponds, greenery and trees. It also has some gorgeous old architecture! I can see that great care is taken to design the animal enclosures, but as with most inner-city zoos, the space is limited and many enclosures seem small. I wished that some where bigger and represented more of the animal's natural habitat. But nevertheless, I didn't get any overly sad feelings during my time in this zoo and I left happy.

Also, we visited on a weekday (in May), and it was very quiet with not a lot of people. We really enjoyed the feeling of having a lot of displays and enclosures to ourselves. However, on weekends, it seems very busy with a lot of kids.

For a full review and a lot of pictures of the zoo and its animals, free feel to check out the article I wrote about it here: http://www.slightlyastray.com/buenos-aires-zoo-worth-visit/

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Perhaps the best, most Porteño thing you can do with your kids. A very hands-on zoo. You can feed almost everything and hand-feed and pet Maras, goats, ducks, Coipo (if you dare). Marvel at the beauty of the decaying Victorian wrought-iron cages (especially the Condor cage). There is still much work to do here but it truly is a “Don’t Miss”.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Parts of the zoo look good and years ago I am sure it was a great place but international zoos have moved on and this place is stuck in time in many regards. You can see animals up close but enclosures are small and there is nothing to stimulate many animals especially the primates who looked particularly sad!