“Magic place.”

and up
Private City Tour of Buenos Aires
Ranked #93 of 746 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: El Zoologico de Buenos Aires tiene por objetivo ser un gran centro de educacion ambiental que forme mejores ciudadanos, mas comprometidos con el bienestar animal y el cuidado de la naturaleza. Paralelamente, que se convierta en un centro de conservacion de especies, con enfasis en la fauna argentina
Florianopolis, SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Magic place.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The animals are wealthy. There are a lot of attractions. Visitants restaurants are a little expensive and there are few options. But you must go if you are in Argentina.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank InTheSkyTravel

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
St.George, Barbados
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Im sad to say, but I would not go back”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was really excited about going to the zoo after visiting that beautiful webpage they have. I believed it was going to be like that (colorful, well-organized, easy to follow, friendly... wow, the webpage was so wonderful!!) The reality was quite different. I got to the place and the first thing that shocked me was to see all animals sleeping. I guess they keep them like that so that they dont jump over the very poor fences that surround them. So I could never get a good shot. I walked around the place trying to follow the map they'd given me, but I could never understand it fully because it talked about animals I never saw. I tried to be optimistic (for the other 40 mins that I needed to finish the tour. And it had only past 10 mins when I got disappointed!!), but even people's comments were annoying too. Some parents did not teach their kids to look at the animals with a bit of respect. So in general, I was hurt by the experience. When I left, I felt a relief, but also felt that had paid very expensive a ticket for a very sad experience. I am sad to say this but I would not go back to this place. Not even to take my 10 year old niece. I think she should be approached to the wild life in a more fullfilling way. The zoo definitely needs a renovation and the webpage needs to be honest!!!

Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 217 helpful votes
“Very sad - in need of renovation and animal care”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Most of the animal enclosures are very small and depressing.

Some of the enclosures are empty - as a result of the animals either dying or being relocated - but all in all this just gives the entire zoo the feeling that no one cares and no one looks after or maintains it.

Animals seem unhappy and it was just a very sad experience.

The zoo should either be renovated and maintained appropriately - or it should just be closed down.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Rick-and-Leah
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just ok!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had the chance to go there with some friends. Altough I got the opportunity to look at some great animals, I felt a bit sad due to the conditions they live in. Their space is not so big as it should be, nor is similar to their natural environment.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Natali W
Felton, California
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings.”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

When this zoo was built, I'm sure it was the pride of Buenos Aires; however, time and a lack of money have not been kind. While the staff seems to try and "make do", this zoo needs a LOT of money to bring it back to a place of joy for both visitors and animals alike. The grounds are peaceful and park-like but the animal enclosures need some serous attention. Buildings are decaying and there seems to be a penchant for closing off areas so that the animals don't have access to their entire enclosure. The poor elephant was just rocking back and forth and seemed to be in a bit of distress. In many cases, there are no animals (one assumes they've just died off and there's no hurry to replace them) and in other cases, there are an over-abundance of animals (deer, gazelles, etc.). I know that the money woes of Argentina have not gotten much better since their economy collapsed in 2001, but one would hope that some philanthropist would take pity on this once beautiful zoo and restore it back to its glory.

Visited March 2013