“Forget breakfast”

NH Collection Buenos Aires Lancaster
Ranked #35 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel was fine, staff helpful, but the breakfast is a joke, everything they put out runs out, so you cannot get what you would like, you are better going out the hotel, cross over the road 200 yds / 150 mts on the left and go to Starbucks, best way to do this hotel is room only.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the beginning and at the end of our Argentine holiday recently. We did not consider it to be an excellent hotel, but it had all the necessities and was clean and well-presented. We found one of its main attributes was its central location within walking distance of many of the landmarks in central Buenos Aires (Puerto Madero, Florida Peatonal, Plaza San Martin, Plaza de Mayo, etc). There are also a good number of restaurants to choose from in the vicinity, and we ate well at a different restaurant down the road to the side of the hotel (Reconquista) on the two nights we were there.

The other big plus was the service at reception - this was very good on the first time we were there, with taxis being ordered very satisfactorily, etc. However, on the second occasion, in addition to such matters, the receptionist (whose name I unfortunately cannot recall) went above and beyond to help me. I was able to check in for our flight back to UK on my wife's i-pad from our room, but had no printer to print our boarding passes. He told me to e-mail them to him so that he could print them. Unfortunately this did not work, so after 2 attempts, he loaned me the computer on the front desk - even this was a problem as I did not understand all the instructions in Spanish. So he worked it for me with me giving him the required details - it worked like a dream!

However, not all the hotel service was so good - my wife had to wait an inordinate amount of time for a cup of coffee in the bar, with the waitress disappearing for a considerable period. It was, nevertheless, a generally good experience.

Room Tip: A room at the back or side is likely to be quieter than one overlooking Cordoba
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David68_11
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The NH Lancaster is located in Central Buenos Aires at the intersection of Cordoba and Reconquista. The area is about half way between Plaza San Martin and the trendy rebuilt dock area. Check in was relatively quick, with a competent staff. My room was large. It had a double bed with 6 pillows, a large closet area (with a safe), a large bathroom, and a small entry area. The desk was modest size, but the WIFI was very very slow (albeit it was free). The WIFI was not password protected, so there are probably a large number of persons bootlegging it and clogging it up. The staff kept the room quite neat. The TV was relatively small, and unfortunately had no channels in English. Breakfast is good, with scrambled eggs and sausages as a hot food option. There is a fair bit of noise from the street.

I had a late-night flight, so I checked out a 6pm after paying a modest charge. Check out went quickly. I found the area to be relatively safe, but I did encounter a number of hookers on the street near the hotel after hours.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was in this hotel for 4 days, and it is OK. I was there on business, so I only needed basic features, which were fine. My room wasn't small at all (I was in a corner, facing the avenue) and it wasn't noisy even though I was on the second floor.
Breakfast is included and fine, not many choices but you can find the basics (orange juice, coffee, bread, eggs, etc).
Some features of the room were outdated and bathroom seemed in need of attention, but everything was very clean and nice.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you plan on spending time there, as it doesn't have anything other than basic TV on your room (not even iPod/iPad dock) and a restaurant where I never saw anyone past breakfast time.
Elevators are really outdated, and reading other reviews I never felt very safe on them. One of them wouldn't stop in floor 2, so I always ended up walking one floor up or down, so if I had a say, elevators should be the first thing renewed at this property.
Staff is nice, but they won't help you with any of the basics you get used to in latin america (for example, you will need to open the hotel doors yourself when you arrive at the hotel, as the staff may see you struggling with it but won't help).

Room Tip: Prefer a corner room, as they are bigger. I wouldn't recommend a room in the pedestrian walk (R...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Staying in BA for 4 days, I picked this hotel for its location first and then price. This is an excellent value hotel, with free wi-fi, in a great location surrounded by bars, restaurants and shops. My room was very comfortable and clean with good AC, and, although a bit on the small side, I put my suitcase under the desk, this was not a problem with me as I only slept there. The hotel airport shuttle is in fact a remis car and costs AR$250 pick up from Ezeiza and AR$90 drop off at Jorge Newbery. The staff all speak very good english, are very helpful and the hotel provides a great map of BA. One day I left my room safe open, went out all day, and when I came back nothing had been touched. The yellow BA tourist bus stops right outside and there is a tourist office a short walk away in San Martin, turn right out of hotel and right again into San Martin, from which walking tours of BA take place. I used the subway to go to Palermo. It is easy to use, cheap, ARS2.50 flat rate, and there are three terminus stops for different lines at Plaza De Mayo a short walk away. If you use the subway on Sat/Sun not all the entrances are open so if you go to one which is shut the last part of the notice will tell you where the open entrance is.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Taki P
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Recently had 2 stays at this central hotel. Close to major shopping areas and convenient for Puerto Madero and the restaurants and nightlife. My first room was fine, though slightly bijou, but on return had an excellent room up on the 8th floor. Good amenities and toiletries in the bathroom . Air con was excellent, and I had no problem with room keys etc. Safe in room worked well. Staff were very helpful throughout. Self serve breakfast varied and plentiful. Bar opening seemed slightly haphazard, but night staff served us after a late return from a night on the town. There are plenty of bars and other "entertainment" nearby.
As a general comment for visitors, keep your wits about you in BA. This was my 4th visit and each year someone in the party was ripped off or robbed in the street. Travel in pairs at least, keep watches and expensive jewellery out of sight and be careful with cameras etc. Only use the black and yellow cabs. The bus tours are generally good for getting a view of the city, which is beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Although this hotel does have pole position and your original impression of the entrance hall and surroundings give a quality feel. Sadly that might be the highlight of your stay. The rooms are tiny and tired, the keys will keep locking you out and the facilities for a hotel are woefully absent.

The breakfast will amaze you if you have a bread, cake or fruit fetish but for those who would expect a reasonable offering first thing, be aware. There will not be too much variety and or service on offer. We asked for our eggs to be fried and were told we would have to pay extra for this!!! For a hotel who advocate four stars then the only evidence I could find of any stars were those out at midnight far up above the hotel rooftop where I wished I was, or those reminiscent of a Tom and Jerry cartoon where Tom gets "whacked" with a mallet and drearily regains consciousness. The reception team did try there best to understand our position and mitigate the hotels position. The lift which it's self will be a clue to the room size yet to greet you if not stuck on the 4th floor most for most of your stay is further reminder that this hotel is past it's sell by date in terms of its decor. In my view the this hotel does no way live up to it's four star rating. I do not blame the people at the front line who sadly will seem to continue to get the brunt of the customer dissatisfaction but the managers whom who were sadly missing at every reasonable request. I would not recommend this hotel and would not visit it again, even for free. Sorry!

Room Tip: Despite its alleged 4 star rating. YOU WILL need to upgrade to a suite if you what a fridge, tea mak...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcela N, General Manager at NH Collection Buenos Aires Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate the time you have taken to transmit your feelings and opinions. They are very important for us in order to value and also to work on the improvements.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay and we encourage you to contact us in your next trip to Buenos Aires, we are convinced you will have a complete different experience with us.

NH Lancaster-General Manager