“Old school hotel”
Review of Dora Hotel

Dora Hotel
Ranked #172 of 440 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Because of New Year, and the kickoff of Dakar Rally, most hotels in BA are full (or charge steep prices), so I ended up at Dora for three nights around NYE. I paid US$99-110 for a double room.
It is located very close to Plaza San Martin, and Florida (the pedestrian street).
As other contributors have indicated, the front desk staff has an average age of approximately 85 years, but they do speak English.
There is a computer in the lobby with internet for free, and they also have a relatively fast wi-fi connection in the guest rooms.
Rooms are ok, but quite old fashioned. TV, minibar, but no safety deposit box.
Bathrooms have bathtub, and basic toiletries are provided.

Basically, I would recommend this to people who like the way hotels were back in the days.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jefi99

Reviewed October 6, 2010

Not a glitzy chain hotel that could be anywhere, but a grand old dame with all the advantages and a few of the drawbacks this brings. Courteous and unhurried service from polite older staff, not automaton youngsters, a perfect position near the metro, and a feeling of calm and reassurance as you walk through the doors. Ignore the outrageous review here by one American who clearly can't stand anything unAmerican! Excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Mikestrauss
Reviewed November 12, 2007

This is a nice hotel with godd location in Buenos Aires. The rooms are small but confortable enough. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. The hotel is very clean and everything worked as it should.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Rijos
Reviewed December 3, 2005

We stayed in Dorà for 4 nights, the first 4 ever for us in Argentina. There's nothing much to complain or get excited about this hotel. It's definitely not the cheapest option (we were charged 60 USD/night), but on the other hand offers a good location and a clean room and bathroom. We had a room on the eight floor, with a balcony (overlooking only the roofs of the surrounding buildings however) on the street side. I cannot say that we got woken up by any noises, although I can imagine that the lower floors might suffer more noise as Calle Maipù is a very narrow and rather busy street (especially during weekdays). The breakfast was okay, maybe a bit boring (3 croissants and 3 slices of toast for 2 people) but well presented by the friendly waiters. Internet is free to use (they have 2 computer terminals).
The staff consists of mostly older men, so don't expect much english out of them.
I certainly don't regret having stayed there, but I might try something different next time.

5  Thank Tintin_Belgium
Reviewed November 24, 2005

Just stayed last week for eight nights and found the hotel to be nice and easy to get everywhere from. Rooms are small yes but I didnt need luxury as I was hardly in the room. I only had the break fast once and it was fine. The other days the dining room was full so I went out for a small breakfast in the neighborhood. I find the staff to be amiable and patient with my less than adequate Spanish. I never had a problem with getting change or asking for info about the city or where to buy a particular item. I would return to the hotel for another stay.

4  Thank UrsaMajorNYC
Reviewed November 13, 2005

The location is great, almost a stone's throw to the San Martin subte (subway) stop. Just around the corner from the busy pedestrian street Florida.
The lobby provides a glimmer of hope as it is fairly attractive and looks fairly recently remodeled.
We had prepaid for a five night stay with octupustravel.
Our room was another story. First of all, it was small, as was the bathroom. Very small in fact, although there was adequate long term storage in drawers in the closet. It was also very worn, dingy carpet, scuffed walls, etc.
It was in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint. The door to the bathroom almost touched the toilet when opened making it very awkward to get in and out.
As far as the "cold breakfast" goes, one out of two ain't bad. It was cold but hardly a breakfast. We sat for 10 minutes before being acknowledged. The breakfast consisted of a big bowl of fruit salad which was 95% pears, a bowl of prunes, a plate of cheese and one type of cold meat cuts. After being served our coffee and a bowl with two pieces of toast and two croissants we went up to the food. The cheese plate was empty and never refilled with hours to go. We tired of waiting and set out on our first day in the city.
We spent one night in that small room and asked the front desk for a bigger room. We were told that bigger rooms were on the front of the hotel overlooking the street. We went up, looked at the room. It was big, it was bright, it was sparkling with fresh paint. But is was loud, even with the European style metal louvers down. We foolishly assumed it would be less noisy at night. We were wrong. It was unbearable. And don't plan on sleeping in past 6 AM, when the garbage truck literally sits outside for 10 minutes, making sounds that I did not know existed.
The hotel advertises that it is air conditioned, and this is true technically. However, be aware there are no controls in the room. When the air comes on everybody gets it. And it is not set very cool and they turn it off at night completely. It was cool outside but the windows have no screens and coupled with the noise, opening the windows is not an option. And if you are cold and want heat, you are out of luck.
We then convinced ourselves it wouldn’t be so bad the next night (weekend) but we were wrong. We didn’t want to go back to “the hole” so even though it was prepaid, and we stood a chance of losing our money on the last two nights we checked the Internet and found out the Howard Johnson’s around the corner was the only hotel available in a reasonable price range. That turned out to be the best decision of the trip (see our review of that property for our glowing review) and after checking out of the Dora and into the Hojo’s, I told my wife I felt like I was out of an abusive relationship.
I have heard that you should not consider the best or worst reviews of a hotel but rather the average. I hate, hate, hated this hotel. Remember, I left a prepaid room empty for two nights, rather than spend another ruined night of my vacation.
If you can live with the small dingy room and a horrible “breakfast” and don’t mind being warm at night, then maybe you will be happy. But I doubt it.
They will not hold your baggage for you after you check out as most other hotels will (a must if you are planning a trip to Iguazu and only want a few nights worth of clothing).

18  Thank luv2globetrot
Reviewed November 9, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in October 2005. We found the staff friendly and very helpful. The hotel is informal and is ideally situated for shops, restuarants and the many tourist attractions. We would recommend this as a good value City Centre Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005