“Not good for a romantic getaway.”
Review of Claridge Hotel

Claridge Hotel
Ranked #151 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The best thing about the Claridge was that it was only $67 per night for a king bed room. They advertise as a 5 star hotel. It definitely appears that it used to be, but has several things that drop the value down to 3 stars for me.

Half of our cash disappeared from my life partner's pants pockets while we were away from our room for about half an hour (the safe wasn't working, so he didn't feel comfortable using it). We were there only 3 nights, so those aren't great odds. We reported it, and they let us have a free meal.

Our room had dirt on the fabric covered walls. Considering how empty the hotel was (February is off season for them), that may indicate that there wasn't a cleaner room available for them to put us in.

The fabric glued to the box spring mattress was peeling off extensively and made the mood of the hotel room unpleasant for what we had planned as a romantic getaway.

They have signs on the wall that say sauna and massages in the pool area, but they no longer offer them. The pool closes at 7pm, which was a major bummer since the sun did not go down until 9pm, and we really didn't want to go back to our run-down room.

I recommend the Lancaster a few blocks away if you want to invest more in a 5 star hotel. I've stayed there twice and had only 1 negative memory: the A/c in the hallways made it feel like I was walking in a meat freezer. However, they do not have a pool, so that's why we went with the Claridge.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Claridge Hotel

Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was a very nice hotel in the center of Buenos Airies. Our room was not reserved but after a little confusion we were upgraded to a suite. Breakfast was fine and the pool facilities were great on a hot day. The bar was very nice and I am sure Louise would have had a few G and T's even though they were a little pricey.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great location, in walking distance from lots of different attractions. Stayed there for 4/5 nights. The pool was amazing, used it every day, would be nice if it stayed open until later though.
A bit outdated and probably expected more from a hotel like this one. However staff were very helpful. Breakfast was really good, incredible wide range of things to chose from

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Lovely hotel which we last stayed at about 8 years ago and it's still as good as ever. Ideal position for walking around the city with plenty of shops and excellent restaurants. A very good 4 star hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I first stayed in this hotel over 20 years ago - it was fantastic. Have stayed in it 6 times since, the last time was 4 years and everything was great. Now it is terrible. No bellman, spa closed, rooms and bedding tired. It is now cheap but I came here for old memories not value.

Last time I will ever stay

1  Thank oceanhuatulco
Reviewed January 20, 2014

When I read the reviews of this hotel, I wasn't expecting much. We had just come from a brand new hotel in Montevideo, so I thought I would be disappointed with the Claridge. However, the staff was great, they put in an extra bed for my daughter .. the room was old, but completely comfortable and all we needed. The pool is the best part of the hotel - we spent the whole afternoon there. Beautiful in the 38 degree Buenos Aires heat.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KellyinChile
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had booked three nights at the Calridge hotel not reading the reviews which I wish I had done. The facade is beautiful don't be fooled. And the location is excellent! Given the service was great there was only one person at concierge in the lobby he was very kind.
When going into the elevators that looked like they hadn't been renovated since the 50's, little did I know the rooms were even worse. The carpets had staining, the rooms smelled, bed a were horrible and hard, the bathroom was leaking all over, and the curtains were broken. The only thing that was modern was the television.
My family and I (4 of us) stayed one night had horrible sleep and decided to switch hotels to the hilton for about 50 dollars more a night! WOW the hilton is EXCELLENT highly recommend the hilton!

• Stayed: December 2013