WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #9 of 690 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This not-for-profit art museum and cultural center first opened its doors in 2001 with the mission to promote contemporary Latin American artists.
Denver, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Must See for Architecture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

The building itself is a must see for its interesting modern architecture. The art is good too especially the wood bench that wraps the entire museum. The cafe food is very good but service was slow.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Excellent and unique museum, in a great building”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I loved this museum - I can't remember the last time I found a collection to be so interesting and memorable. I have very little familiarity with Latin American artists beyond Mexico, and so I found it fascinating, and loved the mixture of different styles and media. It's not a huge museum, so totally doable without getting tired out, and the building itself is also great - I was in love with the benches that were works of art themselves. The gift store was also excellent, with a charming bookstore hidden downstairs, and the cafe was good too! I think Bellas Artes gets more press, but if you only go to one museum in BA, make it MALBA!

Auckland, New Zealand
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Beautiful building with impressive Sth Amerian modern art”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

A great example of impressive architecture housing beautiful modern art by South American artists. enjoyed seeing Frida Kahlo self portrait too. Interesting visit and glad we did.

Missouri, USA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Museum seemed unimpresssive, restaurant horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stopped here for information and a beer / snack. The waiters were unattentive to put it nicely, just RUDE to be more realistic. No one would look at us for quite some time, and when we finally stopped to ask someone if they would like us to seat ourselves they hardly even responded, and referred us to "a guy up front" who was not present. When we sat on a sofa where others were served we were litterally ignored and stepped over clumsily three times until our table mates (who we did not know) called the waiter back and asked him to serve us. He responded something along the lines of "not yet" because he had other people to serve. We just left. Don't bother.

1 Thank ChiquiHerrera
Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Disclaimer: I don't like modern art”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

...and so MALBA was a bit tough for me to like. It's a visually interesting space for sure, but the art... I just couldn't get into it. I'm not going to offer a critique because I generally dislike most modern art and I don't consider myself particularly knowledgeable about such, but I think I would have enjoyed sitting in a Recoleta park, staring at a beautiful sculpture.

Visited October 2012