“Not my choice... that's for sure”
Review of Hotel Presidente

Hotel Presidente
Ranked #285 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Like most of the reviewers on here, I was placed in this hotel by an airline that had a canceled flight. I prefer to stay in hotels in the Palermo Soho area and, while I don't mind this area so much, I do mind the hotel. I've stayed in one-star hotels that have more charm than this one... really really dated and just not what I had hoped four. They need to remove their four-star designation. I guess when the airline is paying for your room, they put you in something relatively substandard. Well... that's certainly the case here. Oh well... I'll deal with it but, if you have a choice and want to stay in the downtown area, I would recommend the NH Latino. Better yet, stay in Recoleta or Palermo Soho.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Brichford

Reviewed November 2, 2008

The Hotel Presidente is a pretty average Hotel looks wise, however its a good price - its in a great location (central to everything) and the staff are really friendly.

I stayed here for a week and they kept everything pretty clean, the housekeeping staff were very friendly as were the doormen.

The rooms could do with a massive makeover as everything is quite old!

They have free internet in the lobby which is a plus.

Dont buy drinks from the hotel bar - its way over priced!!! go to a local bar or restaurant and you will get a much better deal!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Hotel Presidente is very well situated. For tourists and business people needing quick access to downtown services, you could not ask for a better location. We were only staying for the day since our flight was leaving late at night. We paid $120USD (10a.m to 6:30p.m.)

The room and the hotel had a worn look. Things were clean, but they looked like the needed to have been updated or replaced 5-10 years ago. The bathroom was the only "new" component of the room.

The room entry card, also activated the electricity. When you departed everything turned off...including the air condition. I could only imagine how long the room would take to cool off in middle of a Buenos Aires summer.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't have time to try their restaurant. This hotel would not be my 1st pick. I would only stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dgflyer
Reviewed August 18, 2008

After paying $168.00 US for two nights in advance , I got to the room and was very disapointed. As a "premium room" I had a view of a building roof. No air conditioning, no ventlation, The TV is bolted to the corner at the ceiling, with poor reception, and no english speaking channels (at least have CNN) At the front desk I asked if they could call if a certain store was open and the clerk said it was closed. On a hunch I called the number myself and It was open til one o'clock that day. Room service, I asked for two bottles of con gas water, I got three bottles of sin gas water. Bath room was smaller then a closet.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ArizonaGunslinger1
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I am a director for a youth exchange organization (YFU) and my partner organization in Argentina booked my stay here, as this is their corporate hotel. The prior reviews made me question it, but I enjoyed my stay very much. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful, and stored my luggage for 2 days while I travelled elsewhere in Argentina prior to my check-in. There is also free internet access in the lobby. While some of the hotel fixtures need updating (bedspread and side chair in room), I appreciated the old world charm and could see that this was a hotel very much in use by native Argentines for their visits to their Capital. The breakfast was great, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and updated. The hotel was very convenient (I walked to Recoleta Cemetary, Pacific Galleria, etc.). And, one evening as I left my room, I heard violin music in the hallway. It seems my neighbor across the hall was practicing for the concert he would be playing in a theatre around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank LFPoolMom
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Our United Airlines flight was scheduled to leave about 6pm, so we took the shuttle to the airport. Check-in was quick, and we went to the United lounge to await our departure. As the time got closer, our departure continued to be pushed back and finally at 4am the NEXT day, our flight was cancelled do to something wrong with the navigational system.
We were really tired, but United said they would take us to a hotel for the night, feed us, and let us know when they had another plane so we could return to the States. We piled on the bus, practically in the morning, and arrived at our hotel about 5am. It is some distance from the airport in to Buenos Aires.

They assured us that we would have a really nice place to stay! Well, I would have been happy at the Holiday Inn at this point in time, but we were ushered off to The Hotel Presidente not terribly far from downtown. We stumbled off the bus, and given keys to our room, and this didn?t look very hopeful. The lobby was very small and shabby, but gee we could get a little sleep, so it couldn?t be too bad.

My first concern was getting on the elevator and going to the 15th floor. I am sure that it had never been inspected, and with each creak, I knew that we wouldn?t make it. Finally we arrived. The dimly lit hall, complete with shabby carpet gave us the feeling that this place was not much. I guess that would be an understatement to say the least.

The room had one small window, deep red walls, a chair that was plastic, a full sized bed, and a very small bathroom. When we looked out the window all we could see was the roof top of more buildings. Frankly, just from a safety point this worried us. If there were a fire, we would never get out.

However, let?s try and get some sleep after all it is almost 6am. That didn?t work well, as the mattress was well used, the kind you would imagine to be in a hotel that rented rooms by the hour and not by the day. After lying there for an hour, I got up and went down to the lobby to visit with the United representative. I explained our displeasure with this hotel, and safety concern. She was sympathetic, and offered to put us in Business Class for the flight home. I readily accepted!

One fine thing that the hotel did was serving a very nice buffet lunch. I frankly was extremely surprised that a hotel with such horrid accommodations could actually put out a pleasant, tasty, and very attractive lunch. If they have a negative 5 star rating, the food did help some.

We left about 1pm, and United had a new aircraft for us. We did sit in business class, which was very enjoyable and arrived home at our destination two days later. We seemed to miss every connection.

When I was remembering about this horrible hotel, I thought that they might just have a website, and in my search, I found it. If you want to see something that looks really nice, but isn?t check out (-), and I had to laugh at their description. It says and I quote ?In a cozy environment you will enjoy a stylish lodging and a
faultless and high quality service up to the standards of the best international hotels. ?

I checked the rates and it is $175 per night including breakfast at this pleasure palace! Just a little thought to pass on, do not believe everything you see on a hotel website. "Update: When visiting their website, you have a choice of language, English, French, or Spanish, and since I checked in English, the rates came up the same as before the devaluation of the Peso."

This hotel is located at Cerrito 850 and has a four star rating. There are lots of lovely hotels in Buenos Aires, but El Presidente will always remain as one that I have to say, don?t stay there.

• Stayed: January 2004
4  Thank mikie12
Reviewed July 31, 2006

It is obvious that this hotel needs an upgrading soon. Everything is as it was in the 80's and needs to be change.

I do not recommend it. I stay there for one night and I won't come back.

The price was high.