“Unexpected surprise”

NH Buenos Aires City
Ranked #81 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our flight from BA was canceled and UAL put us up here. What a wonderful and unexpected surprise. The location is great, near the historic Plaza de Mayo. The staff were most gracious and accommodating. We got to the hotel at mid-night; tired, crabby and hungry. The restaurant was closed but the staff got us ham & cheese sandwiches (delicious) and a bottle of wine. The restaurant had a great breakfast and lunch buffet with a wide variety of choices that was delicious. The rooms and bathrooms were large, clean and well appointed. The beds were very comfortable! We would highly recommend this hotel when visiting BA.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We did not choose this hotel, it was included as part of a pre-cruise package and we only stayed one jet-lagged night. Good central location only a very short walk from the Casa Rosada but the street in which the hotel is actually situated isn't too salubrious. Apart from idiosyncratic air-conditioning (and a missing plug for the bathroom basin, quickly replaced) the room was fine for our purpose but very drab. Breakfast was OK but there was no sign of any other meals being available although other reviewers seem to indicate that there were. Not the sort of place we would want to stay for a proper city break or on business unless there are some better rooms than we had. Many guests were on our cruise or other tours and it did feel like a marble-halled transit camp with large groups constantly checking in or out. On the plus side, the room was available immediately on our arrival mid-morning.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew893
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night before boarding our Celebrity Antarctic cruise in BA. The hotel was perfectly suited for this and very well organized for cruise guests. Our luggage was collected the night before by the bell staff and was delivered to the port which made the whole process very smooth and hassle free, the best we've experienced by far on a pre cruise stay! Not sure whether this was down to Celebrity or the hotel but either way it worked.

Breakfast was included in our package and there was plenty of choice, hot and cold buffet, fruit juices etc so no complaints there. The location of the hotel was ideal for exploring the city, which we did as it was our first time there. Overall a good experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheFairy
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for one night on a business trip, its ok nothing really remarcable either on positive or negative side, service was ok aswell as the room. location in microcentre was good. I guess better for short business trips for tourism i would not go there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jan f
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel and other NH hotels in the same city and this place is not a great place.
I do really like the lobby and the small lobby bar. If you are handicapped or have a lot of luggage then you are going to have a problem getting up the stairs into the lobby. There is a chair lift that is slow and awkward.
I look at the pictures posted here and I had to double check that this is even the same hotel. My room or experience was no where near as nice as some pictures show.
Let start with the room. It was very tiny, no desk and no chair. The bed was pushed all the way against the wall to make enough room for a nightstand on one side. Not a comfortable bed either. There were also no open power outlets to plug in my computer or charge my phone. There was a small fridge that I had to unplug because it was so noisy.
The bathroom had a lot of empty space in it. Seems like a waste since the room was so small. They had plenty of room to put in a box of tissue or a wash cloth, but it was bare bones with none of those luxuries. The bathroom fan was also broken.
My favorite part of my room was the view. I looked right into the side of a building into apartments with bars covering the windows. I was wondering if I would be safer with bars on my windows too.
I went to the pool, but it was locked where you could not even go out and see the view of the city. There was no body up there to let you in or explain why it was locked. There was a gym, but it was a joke. Two treadmills and two exercise bikes.
The hotel had literature about the breakfast and how great and healthy, but it was an embarrassment. The only hot food was hard boiled eggs and some sort of runny egg soup. They even specifically mentioned having tomatoes for health and I had to search high and low for them. I finally saw them as I left and really wish I had taken a picture. It was a saucer with 4 slices of green tomatoes.
The area of town is not that great either. Lots of homeless people sleeping in the streets around the hotel.

I really like the NH hotels, but this one falls WAY short of the others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank setcarp
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for New Years 2012-2013. After checking tripadvisor a day before arriving, we started stressing out about all of the bad reports about security and safety on the surrounding streets. No doubts this caused us to be a lot more careful (keeping everything locked in the room's safe, not flashing valuables on the streets around the hotel) but we saw nothing to substantiate the bad reports. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the breakfast buffet was enourmous with a wide variety of fruits, pastries, meats etc. The pool on top of the hotel isn't huge, but it was a welcome relief on the sunny days and gave a great view to the surrounding streets. All in all, we were more than happy with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

The area is not a nice and cozy place to walk at night.
The hotel itself felt old and not updated. The room was outdated except for the bathroom. Old school TVs not a flat screen. The bed hard as a rock. The pillow as thin and cheap as the ones given to you on a plane.
The staff didn't care if you were in the room for breakfast or dinner. They have buffet style for both. Food tasted old and bland.
I do not recommend this hotel at all.
If you are looking for cheap do not chance it with this hotel.
There is a small sign at the dinner table from the hotel that said don't leave your bags in the room. To take them to the hotels lower lever secured room. That's when I realized maybe this is not a safe area. I had no idea this was a bad place.
We stayed here one night bc our flight was postponed. Our airline carrier put us up at this hotel along with others. If they weren't paying I would have not stayed here.

Stay away.