“budget hotel in Congreso, Buenos Aires”

Hotel Dos Congresos
Ranked #401 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel is very clean, in a good location (you can take public transport to go anywhere in town). Good breakfast and helpful staff. The beds are comfortable and although the hotel is located in a busy street, the rooms are not noisy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I just could spend 1 hour inside the room, most of the time trying set up the wireless connection to find other hotel in BA!
The room is old, dirty, poor furniture; wallpaper was falling off, and wood carpet with no maintenance. The mattress is terrible too.
The plastic toilet seat was falling off. The staff was not friendly.
The wireless is provided, but just works at the front door desk.
The room’s photos do not match with the realty.

Thanks Ibis Hotel had available rooms (considering it was on a Brazilian 7 day’s holiday) with a tax slightly up that H. Congressos, with an indisputable cleaning and comfort!

Definitively I DO NOT recommend this Hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2012

On a five week trip to several cities in Argentina, we found that Dos Congresos was, without doubt, the worst three star hotel in which we stayed. Our first room was over the plaza, perhaps the busiest area of Buenos Aires. If you were to have this room, not only would you get no sleep until two in the morning due to the thousands of cars, buses and people under your window, but you would find a small, cheap bed in a tiny, dingy room with almost no furniture. It was depressing. Refusing this, our second room on the interior of the hotel, overlooking a dark shaft of concrete, had a sleeping loft and double bed, adequate but rating only a one-star designation, at best. All the bathroom fixtures were either cracked or broken. The plastic toilet seat was falling off, the small shelf under the mirror was broken and mold was permeating the grout in the shower and all corners of the floor. We booked this hotel partly based on the photographs, which were taken with a close-up, “fisheye” type lens, which makes the lobby and the rooms look far larger than they are. On the plus side, the breakfast was decent, and there was a mini-bar in the room. In short, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2011

A labor action against Aerolineas Argentinas airlines created a last-minute need for me to book a hotel for two nights in Buenos on my way back to the U.S. from Argentina. I had to do this online from El Calafate in the far south of the country. When I arrived at 2:30am, I walked into The Dos Congressos' small, dingy lobby to find the night clerk not willing to acknowledge my reservation (made on Expedia). Between his bad English and my bad Spanish, we were deadlocked. I was forced to pay anew for my two-night booking, despite my showing him the on-line receipt from Expedia. ("No Voucher!" he kept saying.)

When I was finally shown my room, I was aghast. I was greeted by a two story high arrangement of primary room and an iron sleeping loft, accessed by an industrial-looking metal staircase. The main room featured a small, lumpy bed, propped up against a wall painted electric blue and absolutely plastered with mold! The room's window, also two stories high, and filthy, was only partially covered by an ancient, heavy, blue curtain. Since this first floor room looked directly out onto the street, I sought to close the curtains, only to have them fall in a heap to the floor. The curtain rod was far too high for me to even consider trying to re-hang them. I chose, finally, to sleep in the loft, since the queen-sized bed there looked much more inviting and there was no discernible mold. (I will say that my extremely thorough search for evidence of bed bugs yielded none). The tub/shower was deeply, rustily pitted. it was far too late to even consider looking elsewhere for a hotel, so I stayed.

The next morning, I was delighted to discover that the location, directly adjacent to Buenos Aires' congress building, was right in the heart of the beautiful Retiro district. I took a three hour walk amid the richly ornamented, European-style buildings and beautiful, leafy parks and enjoyed every minute.

I'll say, too, that I had a peek into a room being made up on that day and it looked much more inviting than my dreary cavern, so it may just be that room 103 is the worst of the lot.
But I'd look carefully at a room in the hotel before paying for it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nprguy
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed here for five nights. The first room we were given was awful (clean, but wallpaper was falling off, and carpet was stained). It was at the street level and was quite noisy, but the view of the Congreso was quite nice. We were later moved to an inside room with no view, but more quite. Unfortunately the A/C didn't work in that room, but it was spring time and we could do without it (but did have to use the ceiling fan all the time). Internet was provided, but it wasn't very reliable. Kept disconnecting and we had to call down to the front desk to get them to re-set it. The staff was friendly and spoke English. Breakfast was average, or slightly better. The hotel is in a good location.

Probably wouldn't stay there again, as I think we could have found something better for what we ended up paying.

Room Tip: Hotel 113 has a beautiful view of the Congreso, but can get quite noisy. Ask for an inside room (e.g...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Rooms: small, dirty, noisy. Poor TV signal, no internet at all (specifically asked when made the reservation), unhelpful personnel. Good location but for slightly less Ibis offers considerably more.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I stayed for abouth a month in this hotel since i went to a school program and it was real nice and people treated us very nicely. they even looked after us since we where all students,rooms are ok nothing too fancy nor too old. breakfast was nice and coffee is ok
the location was the best part since i could get the subway just crossing the street,get a cab or just walk to know the city.

Stayed: August 2007