We stayed here for 2 weeks with a group of friends and enjoyed the experience. The location is very central with a Subte stop right outside and bus stops to La Boca, Recoleta and incredibly, even the number 8 to the airport, within 1 or 2 streets of the main entrance. Our room was up on the 10th floor facing away from Avenida de Mayo and was relatively quiet even with the window open.
The breakfast was tasty and quite extensive but could benefit from a little variety.
The WiFi was 'IfFy' (as was the Internet connection at the 2 stations by the reception desk) which was a mild irritant - we couldn't get a signal in the room but could in the corridor by the lift!
The shower didn't spray water properly (I don't know why we didn't ask for it to be fixed) so the bathroom floor was washed every day.
There's an agreeable faded grandeur about the place and my only regret was not being around when Federico Garcia Lorca's room was open to the public on Wednesday afternoons (despite the hotel's website claiming that "guided tours will take place Monday through Friday from 15 to 18.30hs").
The hotel is expensive but sadly everything has become much more expensive since my previous visit 5 years ago although the only serious "ouch" moment was when one of our group got his laundry bill.
A highlight of our stay was an impromptu tango upstairs by the ballroom to put into practise lessons learnt from the tango festival.
Another highlight was the helpfulness of all on the reception desk.
I'd recommend the Hotel Castelar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The emblematic 4-star Castelar Hotel & Spa in Buenos Aires is located in the heart of the city centre, between the famous Avenida de Mayo and the Avenida 9 de Julio Avenues, at only few steps from the Obelisk and the Plaza de Mayo Square. The Castelar Hotel & Spa is more than a clasic hotel. Featuring modern amenities, the Castelar Hotel & Spa is a perfect accommodation choice both for business and leisure travelers in Buenos Aires. Among its outstanding facilities, guests will find a restaurant, elegant meeting and banqueting lounges, Wi-Fi Internet access in the public areas & rooms, and a luxurious Spa with sauna, Finnish baths, Turkish bath and a large range of beauty treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Castelar Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castelar Hotel And Spa
- Castelar Hotel Buenos Aires
- Castelar Buenos Aires
- Hotel Castelar Buenos Aires