“over rated”

Ranked #21 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Miami, Florida
“over rated”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

well, its a fancy hotel... for the "want to be" people. The service is amazing and the people working there always do their best, but the hotel is frankly dissapointing. The rooms are old and certainly dirty, the pool want to be a nice spot but at the end is only a "no good taste" place to have a drink, plenty of strange people, a mix between business travelers, escorts, yuppies and Xgen guys.

I need to say for me was nice for the experience but not even close to real chic and trendy hotels like Hotel Costes in Paris.

The tango show... mmm better if you go to a traditional place near Downtown BA.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Javierchik08
Ariel B, General Manager at Faena Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Javierchik08
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointing experience at Faena Hotel Buenos Aires. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your experience; would you be open to the hotel contacting you directly? We apologize again and sincerely hope to restore your faith in Faena Hotel.
Kind regards,

Ariel Barrionuevo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed November 15, 2013

First off let me state the obvious, the interior decoration is amazing and gives this hotel a unique character! The location is also excellent as it is located in Puerto Madero and is a very nice walk to maany of the restaurants and stores around...

Now, here is what I believe makes this hotel overpriced according to me:

1) Standard rooms are extremly small 25m2 approx, with very little closet space and table space... Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Alvear and Sofitel are all cheaper for larger room sizes.

2) Service was way below what would be expected. I went down to reception to ask how the window blinds could be opened and was told someone would come to my room to open them.. (FYI there are buttons on one of the bedside tables that control them). When I returned to my room 1hr later, no one had come to my room... Also, it was very difficult for me to reach the concierge and eception, as the phone in my room has many shortcut buttons, but none of which sseem to refer to anything that could be perceived as a reception or concierge.. As I called "Operator" I tried calling sseveral times as no one answered the first few times...

3) There is also a cordless phone in the room which did NOT work

4) One of the two glasses in my bathroom had dried up touthpaste stains indicating it had been previously used and not replaced by the maid before I checked in... I didn't bother informing reception since I was only staying for one night aand could usse the other glass.

5) Wi-Fi is slow by Buenos Aires standards

6) SSleep quality was poor given that there was a Swedish House Mafia concert nearby until 4AM

Room Tip: Standard Rooms are very small
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mahme
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Everything from the welcoming lobby to the gorgeous bathrooms make staying in this unique Buenos Aires hotel a special treat. Quirky and unique touches everywhere separate this family run hotel from the cookie cutter chain hotel experience. Fantastic and personal service at every turn and a great location near everything that is hip and happening in this amazing city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed November 7, 2013

If you re in the mood for glassed walled bathrooms and velvet red curtains this the place. Phantom of the Opera -modern-romantic-cool atmosphere. Long well lighted aisles and lounges,
big rooms, and open views in the safe and beautiful Puerto Madero Area.
We had one queen room and one twin room, the queen was ver comfortable but the twin beds were too small.
The worse thing was the AC, it jumped from icy cold to too warm in 20 seconds, the thermostat seem not to be working and it was a nightmare to set, it really ruined the night.
Breakfast was nothing impressive from the point of view of the food but I loved the ceiling and the decorations at El Mercado restaurant. Other places were decorated a bit over the top but this restaurant was really nice.
The pool was supposed to be warm and it was cold, so nobody was swimming in spite of the beautiful design and the 29 degrees centigrades... we had a great guacamole and hummus by the pool but the salmon was not so great...the life guards and bell boys are the nicest staff we met as concierges and reception seem to be trained to look distant and cool... of course. Furnishing, decorations and food are all mixed quality... and there s something fishy in the ABOUT US lines in the Hotel Book that remind you too much of a famous Apple TV add " Think Different" . I don t think it is great value to choose this hotel... AC was a real annoying matter and the Four Seasons has far better overall authentic service and the rates are quite similar.

Room Tip: Twin beds are too small
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cucuruchito
Ariel B, General Manager at Faena Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that you felt our location safe and beautiful, besides our room confort and decoration, however I naturally regret the inconveniences with your AC during your stay, I am afraid we were not capable to offer a prompt and suitable solution and I feel disappointed about that.

We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back in the near future and delivering to you the professional and friendly customer service levels that so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at the Faena Hotel Buenos Aires.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, I will personally take care of your reservation.
Yours sincerely,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business trip and was impressed with the rooms and staff. Everyone was attentive and helpful, it reminded me of the service my grandfather used to talk about... I would and will stay here again. The only minor thing I would say would be the location is I bit out of the center and heart of the city.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JWolff72
Ariel B, General Manager at Faena Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear JWolff72
I am delighted to read your review, thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased that you appreciated our hotel, but more relevant our staff kindness appreciation.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your reservations. I
will be happy to make all the necessary to make every single stay every time, memorable.
Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013

White unicorns with demonic red eyes, giant gold crown floating in the swimming pool and a guy regularly cruising down the hallway in a pure white suit and a giant white hat..... No, I haven't been drinking, just been staying at the Faena Hotel for a conference. What an impressively different place. Location is very safe, albeit a little away from key sites and service was excellent. Key advice I would offer is request a room away from the swimming pool area. The hotel confuses itself with a disco in the evening and the pool area can be very loud until 3am with pounding music and revellers. Not something I think is congruent with a five star hotel, but I guess this hotel positions itself as younger and different. They moved me immediately but best to request. Dinner service was decent, however breakfast was comparatively ordinary and not cheap. I would stay here again and can understand why some people love it. No idea who that guy in the white suit is....

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river, get as far away from the pool as you can!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GulliverFromOz
Ariel B, General Manager at Faena Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear GulliverFromOZ,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that you felt our location in Puerto Madero very safe. Regarding to our nights in the Library Lounge and Pool Bar, this is an area that we are extremely passionate about and work at daily to continuously keep improving. I am really sorry you had to request room move, our windows are soundproof but I am afraid volume music was not managed suitably during your stay. I would welcome your further feedback in this area and will send you a message separately.
We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back in the near future and delivering to you the professional and friendly customer service levels that our guests experience and continue to enjoy at the Faena Hotel Buenos Aires.
Yours sincerely,

Ribeirão Prêto, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I wouldn´t stay anywhere else in Buenos Aires.
The Faena Hotel is perfect for those willing to have a nice time. It´s so relaxing that sometimes you will think twice before leaving your room to walk around the city! hahaha
I love the spa, the steam house and the massages you can find here.
They also have some cool restaurants inside the hotel, and the décor, by P. Starck is also a plus!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rachel G
Ariel B, General Manager at Faena Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Rachel G
Thank you very much for sharing your most recent experience at the Faena Hotel Buenos Aires.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We were also happy to learn that our location met your expectations and that you
enjoyed very much our facilities.
I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near
future, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your reservations. I
will be happy to make all the necessary to make your stay once again, perfect.
Warm regards,