“A good place to stay”

Ranked #122 of 445 Hotels in Buenos Aires
San Francisco, California
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of our trip -- we had previously stayed in the adjacent Park Tower hotel for two nights the week prior before travelling to other parts of Argentina. Both the Park Tower and the Sheraton are nice properties -- located in a convenient area and solid amenities one would expect from a higher-end Sheraton property. The pool/fitness area is sizable and well maintained, and the general amenities such as the breakfast buffet and bar/shops were sufficient. This is a high-traffic property in which a lot of large groups and airline crews seem to flow through, so it is not a place that might be labeled as quaint or intimate, but for a standard, tourist / luxury hotel this was a good fit. Rates were reasonable, and we didn't really spend enough time at the hotel to really make that big a difference. Location is key and this is a good one for getting around town and to both airports. A solid recommendation.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the clock tower in Plaza San Martin -- was great to see from our windo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Yanina C, Manager at Sheraton Buenos Aires Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at Sheraton Buenos Aires and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Buenos Aires!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hotel is located in central Buenos Aires a moderate walk to all city points of interest. Lobby and most areas are generally busy indicating the premises' convention centre status.

Unlike Sheraton Rio the gym is not included here. Access to the pool is included but this is located on a hotel floor and was usually crowded. Front desk and restaurant service ok but nothing memorable about this hotel. Breakfast buffet selection was decent. No free wifi but 1/2 hour net access per day provided on lobby pcs.

Room was small. Bathroom had seen better days. Door did not automatically lock upon closing and door bolt was faulty. Room was not serviced on one occasion but this was rectified upon request.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback! We really appreciate them. Is very nice to hear that you have a pleasant stay with us.
We hope to have you with us again
morganville
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This Hotel is located close to the cruise port. If taking a taxi ask around. We found one for $10 US . The hotel is only 8 blocks away but other Taxi drivers were trying to charge up to $30. The Hotel is very nice looking on the outside and inside. The rooms themselves need to be refurbished. The carpeting was not very clean and there were cracked titles in the bathroom.The Hotel is in a good location to see the sites of BA. It is not far from a Hop on Hop Bus or you can simply walk all around. It is located close to Florida street and within walking distance to the famous cemetary. The staff at the Hotel were very helpful with directions and other questions.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool area which was fine.
1 Thank milomorganville
Reviewed January 4, 2013

2 years ago, we had stayed here in a suite and remember that stay very pleasantly.This time, we had a normal room, and were dispappointed.
- The rate is still considerable high, but the room has nothing special and is worn out. Water in the bath tube is full of rost, the TV did not work in the beginning (was fixed though), no evening service, no little chocolate, no nothing. Not really 5 star.
- Service overall is mass volume oriented and not friendly or helpful. For example, I had a few questions on my SPG status, but was simply referred to the listed telefone line
- Wifi did not work, which was sort of embarassing after traveling for 3 weeks through smallest towns in Argentina with smalles cafes having all decent Wifi. And the few avalailable computers downstairs were always busy.
I was not sure to give it 2 stars or 3 stars, but finally made it 3 in spite of our disappointment because we liked the breakfast (with salad, great idea), the pool and the nice memory from 2 years ago ..... I guess the learning is to invest the additional 40,50 bugs for an upgrade to a better room with a better view and a potentially better service.

Room Tip: Invest the money for an upgrade room. Only then you feel the 5 star.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here Christmas week 2012. We were on the club level so we had access to the club lounge. That was a real treat, nice food and service throughout the time we were there. Staff recognized us and would preempt our coffee orders before we even say down! Room was very nice, nothing amazing, but pleasant and clean. Bathrooms also nice and it was quiet on the floor.
Pool and Gym are nice as well.
Staff was really great, the Concierge helped us with everything from how to take and pay for the buses and what tango shows were worthwhile.
Location is great for its proximity to the popular areas and the # of buses that come by that area. Since it is across from the Retiro train and bus station, that part of the neighborhood isnt so nice to be around at night, but the hotel is probably 500 yards from those streets. This was not any issue at all for us while we were there and I wouldn't avoid this hotel for that reason. IF you want to stay in a more residential area, look for hotels in Recoleta, Palermo or closer to Florida street, but for the price, service and convenience, this place is best.

Room Tip: IF you can, stay on the club level
Reviewed December 30, 2012

we got a spacious room with a nice view of the harbour. Good bed, but the rest is worn down and the carpet looks like you can plant seeds. Good breakfast. No wireless in the room. The consierges were not service minded. The location of the hotel is good with respect to walkng the central part of the city. The pool is ok, but the whole setting is worn down. should expect more of Sheraton, but maybe not easy to invest in BA?

1 Thank Frank L
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a Club Floor room for an AARP rate of $195 plus 21% tax.

THE ROOM: The room was in excellent condition, nicely furnished and very clean. It contained a nice desk chair plus an easy chair; often times one just gets a desk chair. The large desk is excellent if your stay is for business. The closet space is plentiful. The only negative was my partner's inability to control the TV volume. From having stayed in four Buenos Aires hotels over the years, when you want a room with two beds, they will be twin beds. This is contrary to hotels in the U.S. where rooms with two beds have double (or full) beds.

CLUB FLOOR AMENITIES: Since we were on a club floor, breakfast was included in the Club Lounge. The breakfast assortment was extensive and the quality excellent. Having this perk was definitely worth staying on a club floor. They also offer a nice afternoon/evening snack spread from the hours of 2 until 9 as I recall.

LOBBY BAR: After checking out we went for sandwiches at the Lobby Bar. (Another restaurant on the lobby floor was serving buffet-style only; it was a Saturday afternoon). We were joined by two of my partner's relatives. The service in the Lobby Bar was abominable; exceedingly slow and inattentive. Other customers were observed having a similar problem. This was the only glitch after a wonderful stay except what was to follow.

LURKING DANGER: We spent our time in Missiones province and came to Buenos Aires a day ahead of our return to the U.S. We chose to stay at this property because it was just one long block to the small Manuel Tiende Leon airport bus terminal. As we departed the hotel, I was pulling two roller boards, had a shoulder bag over my left shoulder and a coat over my arm. My partner was several paces ahead. The sidewalk was not crowded. I was an easy target. As we neared the corner, a male voice called out to me. I did not understand what was being said but kept walking. My partner turned to me and shouted, "Keep walking, keep walking" which I did. It wasn't until I reached the corner that I realized I had been "mustard bombed." I didn't realize the extent until I got to the station. I was hit about two dozen times. The goo was an apparent mixture of various ingredients. It splattered the back of my pants, the back of my shirt, my jacket, and all of the luggage. At the station I had to change in the washroom to serviceable clothing. I threw away my pants, my favorite travel shirt (sigh) and my coat.

Now, I was already quite aware of this scam that is common in Argentina. I've encountered others to whom this has happened. Someone shoots goo on you than plays the role of good Samaritan, calling it to your attention, then assists you in cleaning up while an accomplice is emptying your pockets. Fortunately, in my case, nothing was stolen.

The two uniformed security guards at the small airport bus station were stoic. The station agent was non-chalant to the plight, saying "It happens all the time; they're Peruvians." Sitting in the large hotel lobby before departure, I noticed what appeared to be four security guards circulating. They wore dark suits and tie. Perhaps some time could be spent patrolling the hotel perimeter.

In conclusion, if you stay here, do not turn right toward the river after exiting the lobby. Should I have need of a future stay in Buenos Aires, I would stay elsewhere and just take a cab to the airport station.

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Argentina is experiencing a lot of political and economic turmoil. It is no longer the bargain it used to be as inflation soars. It's sad as Argentina is a beautiful country, Buenos Aires a beautiful city. So much untapped potential.

2 Thank ChicagoKen60657
Yanina C, Manager at Sheraton Buenos Aires Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments that you have left at Trip Advisor.
As our Guest Relation Agustina told you, we are deeply sorry for the incident that you suffered in the neighborhood.
We hope seeing you soon at Sheraton Buenos Aires.