“Poor rooms, dirty bathrooms and long-term residents”
Review of Recoleta Hostel

Recoleta Hostel
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Your stay at this hostel depends highly on which room you are in. When we first looked at a room it looked ok, but when we came back to check in they gave us a different room. The room had no windows or ventilation and was very hot and stuffy. The shared bathrooms are old and not well cleaned. Breakfast is bread, cornflakes and coffee. When we were there it seemed the majority of other guests were long-term residents who thought they owned the place. There are better places to stay for the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Recoleta Hostel

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We purchased 2 tickets for the Superclassico between Boca v River Plate on 15 May 2011. We paid 1300 pesos for two tickets. We arrived at the game 3hrs before kick off but were denied entry - much more tickets had been sold for the spaces available.

We went back to Recoleta Hostel to complain but they refused to refund our money. The face value of the tickets are 40 pesos each. Recoleta Hostel made a huge amount of money out of us and refused to honour our agreement when the tickets were proven to be invalid.

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2011

The employees are terrible. When I got there they told me that they accepted credit cards, but when I wanted to checkout they told me that they only accept it for payments of more than 100 argentine pesos. I only spent one night, so I had to pay in dollars, in a not very good exchange rate. After all, how can somenone can spend more than one night there?
The most awful was the bathroom. Water does not seep down the drain as fast as through the shower. By the end of your shower you'll have watter up to the ankles. Everything looks old, and for me even beeing clean nothing seems clean. At last, you can't bend to wash you lower parts, since you'll touch the wall or the curtain. The space is extremelly small.
I asked the staff to change me from the room because of the bathroom, and they did it. Sadly the bathroom was the exact same of the one in the other room.
The staff doesn't seem to care about the silence during the night, because I had trouble with two portuguese guys, and I suppose that their noise was audible audible to the reception because of the distance, but nothing was done and I took long to sleep after they got in the room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank tuliouel
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Upon arriving at this beautiful renovated mansion in the "top" section of BA I was impressed with the neighborhood and building. However, the staff was incredibly rude. When we arrived we had to wait forever until they could actually tell us whether there where beds available. After a nigth out on the town, I awoke to find that the hostel had given away my bed while I slept and that I would need to leave immediately. This place is not worth the money and you can easily find a hotel with a private bathroom for the same amount of money.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 30, 2008

What a dump. As I type this, am still nursing the BED BUG bites that I aquired at this hostel. The place is dirty, the bathrooms are disgusting, the other guests very noisy, security is questionable, the rooms are cold and our bed was broken. Towels not included in price - you even have to pay to store your bags. We stayed two nights in a double room with shared bathroom. The bathroom was so disgusting we didn't even shower. We checked the other shared bathrooms looking for a good one, but they all were disgusting with dirty toilets, cigarette ash in the sinks, soaking wet filthy floors.

This hostel is cheap, granted, and the location is quite good, but even at half the price I would not stay there again. We expected more from a Hostelling International affiliated hostel.

In our three month trip (Thailand, Australia, NZ, Chile, Argentina) this is absolutely the most filthy disgusting hostel we've encountered.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MWiltshire
Reviewed February 3, 2007

poor service, bad breakfast, dirty bathrooms, no ventilation....what more can i say. oh yeah, they charge guests US$4/day for left luggage. RUBBISH.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed November 2, 2005

This hostel is located at the posh end of Buenos Aires. Location wise it is good but we would not go back. Yes it was cheap but rooms had practically no heating and the blankets were not enough (make sure you have thick sleeping bags with you if you decide to stay there). We booked a double room with en suite and were given a twin with no bathroom (although eventually after a lot of negotiation we were moved on the second day of our stay). Breakfast was very basic and the staff, with the exception of Andres, were unhelpful and at times rude.

• Stayed: August 2005