“Great hotel, not so great location.”

InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires
Ranked #31 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Palos Verdes, CA
“Great hotel, not so great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel had everything except a good location. Rooms were great, the whole place was beautiful, and the morning buffet was perfect. Unfortunately the downtown location in a very old area wasn't attractive or nice for walking around. Had to take a taxi everywhere.

1 Thank Vic_and_Leila
InterContinentalBsAs, Director de Recepción at InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our facilities.
I look forward to welcoming you back at the InterContinental Buenos Aires in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Firstly, I have no issue with the hotel as my stay was comfortable. Hotel staff were helpful and it was clean.
The main reason for the low rating is quite simply 'LOCATION'. It is not in a good area and, if like me, you like to wonder off around the local streets then beware!
The area around the hotel is not a place where you would walk, so to be safe, you need to take a taxi to the shopping areas etc. where it is a lot safer to walk.
This is a shame because the hotel cannot do anything about the area in which it is located.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city.
3 Thank Nodalino
InterContinentalBsAs, Director de Recepción at InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
We will extend your review to our City Government in order to take the neccessary action in the points mentioned.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will be more than glad to assist you when your travel plans bring you back to Buenos Aires. Kindly contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Arrived later than planned due to Airline issues and was greeted here as a special guest. I had booked a club room so was directed to the club floor for book in. The club supervisor noted we were a bit frazzled and suggested a relaxing drink and maybe something to eat prior to the formalities. A very gracious and well accepted offer. The room was large and very comfortable and was well kept and clean. Breakfast was good and well presented a limited choice but fresh and tasty. No complaints. The hotel is in a good location for walking to the major attractions not sure how safe at night but we did not venture out late. Left some suitcases here whilst on a trip to Iguazu not a problem happy to oblige.Returned a few days later and was enthusiastically greeted with a "welcome home" The hotel organised a very early morning transit to the airport also no drama. All in all a very enjoyable stay and a big congratulations to the friendly helpful staff especially those on the club floor. would not hesitate to recommend this hotelm

Room Tip: Club floor is good value and has nice extras.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalBsAs, Director de Recepción at InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest.
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is a pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your stay as well as the service provided by our staff.
Looking foward to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Check in was fast and efficient, everything was well explained by the staff with regard to wifi, business lounge and opening times of the bars and eateries within the hotel.

My room was well appointed if a little dated in parts but overall was very comfortable and the bed especially was superb with fresh linen provided everyday.

I have nothing but praise for the staff here from door staff to bar staff all were very polite, well informed about the hotel and local area and put other hotels to shame with their professionalism, they are to be congratulated.

I will be returning to Argentina in May this year and will definitely stay again and recommend that you do too if you are looking for a classy hotel thats in the middle of things.

Enjoy, I did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to the staff. Thanks again for staying with us.
We hope to see you again soon!

Nicholas Palazzo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I will try to be as objective as possible, and I believe that enough time has gone by to allow for emotions to disappear. I am a seasoned traveler; I worked for 17 years at an airline, and 14 years in the hotel industry, ten of those as operations manager. on I was a part of the pre-opening management team at the first luxury hotel to open in Buenos Aires in decades, in 1993, so I can even say I have a really good knowledge of the industry in Argentina. I believe I am making an highly educated comment regarding my experience at the Intercontinental Buenos Aires.

I stayed at the hotel with my spouse on the first week of January 2013 as a result of being rejected from a flight back home to New York City. American Airlines took care of our lodging at the hotel, and we were also given three meal vouchers: One for breakfast, one for lunch, and another for a dinner. The dinner voucher was to be used upon check into the hotel. We arrived at the hotel tired and somewhat hungry, at around 1:30 AM. The room was very nicely appointed, and comfortable. Only two things were wrong with the room. One was the long hairs we found on the floor, and the separate shower overflowed onto the bathroom floor flooding it. We were not really concerned with either of these issues, and never mentioned them. However...

What really created a horrible impression on us was the human factor, the service. Checkin was very good and expeditious. Upon arriving to our room, I decided to call room service and order some food. Here is where our stay started to turn sour.

Since it was nearly 2:00 AM, we decided to order some light appetizers for the "late menu" that was available after-hours. We called and had to hang up and wait to be called back to place the order. After about 10 minutes wait, we received the call from room service, and we were told that American Airlines passengers receive a "fixed menu consisting of Tomato Soup, Tagliatelle (pasta) with Tomato Sauce, and Ice Cream." I did not know what to say, since my mind was still set on the delicious appetizers that the menu offered. I explained that to the room service person, and I was told that those menu items were more expensive than what the airline was paying, and also that it was pretty late, as if we were unaware of how late it was--the late-night room service menu was available until breakfast time. I mentioned that the voucher had a $60 limit for dinner, and the employee went to check on that. Upon my request, a supervisor called back and repeated the same thing, and also said that the $60 on the face of the voucher was not a "real" value, that the airline actually does not pay $60 to the hotel--an issue involving the hotel and the airline, and not me. I was also told that, if I were on the airplane, I would not have options, and that I would have to eat what they put in front of me. This is a sign of very poor guest relations.

I also question the hotel’s kitchen motivations for making a menu of tomato soup, tomato sauce on spaghetti, and ice cream. It sounds as the lowest cost menu you could possibly put together. I would have to say that overall I felt treated like a second-class guest. I never felt anything like it at any hotel property of the many I have stayed that I can recall.

What really made this situation unacceptable was that the dinner voucher, which was never used, was never returned to me, even after calling the front desk after the room service call to make sure I would get this voucher back. I specifically asked the employee to place it in an envelope with my name on it, and that I would pick it up in upon checkout. My companion and I waited over 30 minutes in the lobby while the front desk supervisor was “trying to find” the person with the key to retrieve the voucher. Since our car was waiting outside to take us to the airport, we left without the voucher.

It has been over two months since the incident, and the hotel has made no attempt to contact me, or send me the voucher to my home address. Having experienced the industry in Argentina, including Buenos Aires, I can tell the hotel runs as an old establishment, along with all the “old customs” of the industry where flexibility are non-existent, and saving cents is prioritized above customer comforts and needs.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views over the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nicholas P
InterContinentalBsAs, Director de Recepción at InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Mr Palazzo,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at InterContinental Buenos Aires. Your opinion is very important to us, as it helps us identify areas in need of improvement. I was really disappointed to learn that you were unsatisfied with our quality of service and would like to apologize for any inconveniences.
Your comments regarding room cleaning and the maintenance have been addressed and passed on to the responsible Department Heads, since all our efforts are commanded to provide our clients with the best service you deserve.
Regarding your comments about the dinner, the hotel has offered the menu requested by the airline company. We have an agreement with the airlines predeterminated for this cases and the hotel has given the meal service according to the agreement. As the vouchers indicating USD 60 are not issued by the hotel, the Front Desk Supervisor has informed to the airline company about this situation just after your call in order to avoid this errors in the future.
Mr Palazzo, thank you very much for your feedback. I will be more than glad to assist you when your travel plans bring you back to Buenos Aires. Kindly contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel was very nice and the people helpful and friendly. The location was central although it did take a little while to get our bearings. The concierge was expecially helpful. The business centre was good. I did not use the spa or pool but they looked fine. The restaurant service was slow but the food was fine. We used the first floor buffet for breakfast and it was okay. We also used a small place across the street for croissants, juice and coffee for a much cheaper price. There was also a really nice reasonably priced jewellery store across the street I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinentalBsAs, Director de Recepción at InterContinental Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks again for staying with us.
We hope to see you again soon!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've now stayed at the Intercontinental Buenos Aires 2 times, it was also nice to see that 1.5 years later, many of the same staff were still working at the hotel.

Lobby/Check-in 5/5

Absolutely beautiful lobby, we arrived at 3pm, went to the check-in counter and were very quickly taken up the elevator to the Club Lounge to check-in.

Marcos, who was working the lounge, was fantastic, friendly and very informative.

The Lobby itself is beautiful, piano, plentiful seating, and beautiful iron-work railings. In all a very tasteful design.

Room 4.75/5

The room was beautifully decorated, King bed, a couch, coffee table, desk, plentiful pillows, and a very comfortable bed. The only downside was the smaller size of the TV, though we spent little time watching the TV, it felt out of place vs everything else in the room.

The outlets were somewhat limited to the desk area, but there were 3 of them (world outlets).

Bathroom 5/5 Amenties 5/5

Separate shower and bathtub, bath salts, bath gel, mouthwash, talcum powder etc., the bathroom was clean, bright, and spacious.

Elevators 5/5

The elevators were FAST, and you never waited for long periods of time, as silly as that is, it is a nice thing to count on.

Club Lounge 3.5/5

The lounge was ok, it is small, though very pretty. The attendants working the lounge REALLY are wonderful. The evening cocktails are nice, 1 warm item, along with cheeses, meats, wine, champagne, wines.

During the day coffee, juice and pastries are available.

Breakfast 1/5

This is where the hotel is really lacking, we ate both in the Lounge and the 1st floor restaurant, and it just missed the mark completely. The warm food was cold (and not appetizing), the selection was just a bit better than a "free Continental breakfast" at a Holiday Inn Express. It was just a disappointment compared to IC hotels around the world, and I wouldn't pay for it nor do I recommend it for anyone else.

Location 3/5

There are not a lot of "great" locations in Buenos Aires anyway unless you're in Recoleta or Palmero, but you're 2 blocks away from 2 metro lines, 3 blocks from the Avenue de Mayo 25 and the Catedral, there are some wonderful restaurants in San Telmo as well.

Overall 4/5

I'd definitely stay here again, as others have said you do have to watch out for many scams/theft in BA, but it has nothing to do with the hotel or the location, more it's BA and it happens.

Only real issue we had was how the hotel got Taxis for guests, what we thought was a line wasn't, it's pretty much who walks around to the bell man first will get the first cab even if they just got outside, so until that is fixed, be proactive in getting to the bellman, and make sure you get small bills for the taxi so you don't have to worry about change or receiving fake bills etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. It is really useful for us as it helps to identify areas of imporvement. I really appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff, I will extend them to the rest of the team.
Regarding your comments about the breakfast, rest assured that your comments will be addressed and passed on to the responsible Department Heads, since all our efforts are commanded to provide our clients with the best service you deserve.