“This is not a museum as we know it”

Museo Ernesto Che Guevara
Ranked #460 of 775 things to do in Buenos Aires
east greenwich, rhode island
191 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 329 helpful votes
“This is not a museum as we know it”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I called to see if this was open, as most museums in Buenos Aires are closed on Monday. A gentleman answered the phone, spoke English, and told me where the "museum" was. When I showed the address to the taxi driver, he chuckled. When I arrived at Rojas 129, I thought there was a mistake. Beware! This is not a museum as we think of museums. It is a small storefront overflowing with odds and ends, halloween masks, glass objects, photocopy machines, and some memorabilia of Che.
The founder of the so-called "primer Museo historico sudamericano" (first south American museum) is a charming man named Eladio Gonzalez. He has a lot of stories to tell about Che, why there is no museum to Che in Rosario, Santa Fe (his birthplace), and lots of photos and letter he shares. I was surprised to see that I spent 90 minutes with him. He is quite knowledgeable and his story of going to Cuba and meeting a wounded police man's family are touching. especially, when the story became embellished.
All in all, a nice break from typical museums. He also invited me to watch his son teach tango and sent me to a city-owned sculpture museum that was closed on Mondays.
All in all, if you like "off the beaten path" places, this could be for you.

7 Thank dermgoddess