“A huge disappointment”

Ranked #146 of 256 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A huge disappointment”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I first came across this hostel when a friend stayed there and I called in to visit - even though only visiting, I was offered coffee and breakfast. This, combined with the positive reviews, led me to book a stay there when I returned to Buenos Aires.
I booked what was listed as a "superior single room". Upon my arrival they had no record of my booking even though I'd booked online and had received an email confirmation myself. They said they could fit me in though, and put me in a 4-bed room which was nice, comfortable, clean. The bathrooms are shared here but were also clean with hot showers.
The next morning they asked me to move into the single room I had booked. There is nothing "superior" about this room - to reach the room you have to walk up two floors (no elevator), then go outside, then walk up a spiral staircase which is so narrow I had to climb sideways - impossible with luggage. The room was only slightly wider than a single bed and had no locker/safe storage. The window was next to the pillow, with curtains so long they draped over my head - I had to rearrange the bedding to sleep the other way. I also had to go down the staircase and outside to reach the shared bathrooms.
When I complained to the man on reception about how awful this room was he just said "yes, I know". All of the rooms seem to be the same price here - as I travel alone I booked the single room to be helpful - to not take up space that could otherwise be used by someone else, though I would prefer a double. When I pointed out the rooms being the same price and asked if I could have a double instead I was told no...
Also, the front door is locked which is great for security, but when I returned one evening I had to ring the doorbell several times and wait 15 minutes to be let in.
I'm sure if you book a different room you can have a great stay here, but my experience was awful and I therefore wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't book the single, even if you're travelling alone!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Louise M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 17, 2011

What a Great Hostel - more like an hotel.
very very clean! very big rooms and very comfortable beds.
the best place we stayed in Argentina.
good location if you're not afraid walking and using the subway.

Room Tip: All the rooms are big and very specious, great Breakfast Ernesto (the owner) very helpful and very...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roy M
GaleonDelPlata, Manager at Loara's Hostel, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Hi Roy, thank you for your words, we -as owners- always really do all we can for our visitors. You´ll be very welcome in our hostel when you come again to Buenos Aires!
Travelers also viewed these Buenos Aires hotels
Recoleta
Petit Recoleta Hostel
Petit Recoleta Hostel
#56 of 454 in Buenos Aires

Been to Loara's Hostel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Loara's Hostel

Property: Loara's Hostel
Address: Calle Estados Unidos 842, Buenos Aires C1101AAR, Argentina (Formerly Galeon Del Plata Hostel)
Location: Argentina > Capital Federal District > Buenos Aires
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Shuttle Bus service
Ranked #146 of 256 B&Bs / Inns in Buenos Aires
Hotel Class:2 star — Loara's Hostel 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Loara's Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.