“Unmissable dining experience in Buenos Aires”
Review of Jueves a la Mesa

Jueves a la Mesa
Ranked #513 of 5,497 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Our friends in BA found this online, and we tagged along for an unforgetable evening. A mysterious elevator ride and many kisses on the cheeks later we are in a private appartment dressed for dinner. The night we dined here there was a guest chef that served the loveliest and freshest meal we had since we entered south america, of course accompanied with wine. This is a must do experience in BA, a lovely way to meet people. We ended up going out to enjoy the nightlife with our new friends from the dinnerparty.

1  Thank Mmyrvold

Reviewed March 17, 2012

jueves a la mesa is a puerta cerrada located in san telmo. we got to the building, just a normal apartment building, and rang up to the 5th floor where the chef lives. we were the first ones there and there were candles on the table and seats for 12 people. so we sat and drank some water & AWESOME wine until everyone else got there. it was SO much fun to meet so many different people and just get to talk to them and hear about their lives. megan was serving indonesian food and i was a little skeptical but it was without a doubt one of the best meals of my life!!!!!!!!!! she also is a yoga instructor and so tries to prepare healthy, usually vegetarian, food.

we started with a soup of i dont even know what but it was spicy and delicious & whole wheat flat bread with unreal salsa. I don’t really have words to describe this meal other than fantastic…then we had a salad with peanut dressing stuff on top that was incredible and the main course was indonesian rice with lots of spices & tofu! it was incredible. it is really hard to find great, spicy food in argentina and my mouth was so happy at jueves a la mesa. the whole meal was just awesome and then for desert we had almonds, pineapple, and homemade chocolates sweetened with honey & coconut! SO good! and fresh ginger tea. It was seriously one of the best nights ever, I loved it so much!!!! AND it was so reasonably priced…a meal like this would have been incredibly expensive in the States but it was only $100 pesos (about $22 USD)!!!

1  Thank shloons
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was one of the most wonderful eating experiences I've ever had. I'm a meat eater, and BsAs is a meat eater's paradise, but I was so ready for a home-cooked meal and some vegetables after just a week and a half! When I heard about Jueves a la Mesa, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but what I experienced was better than I could have imagined.

It's almost like a dinner party because it takes place in Meghan's space. She and her friend Sophie had laid out an beautiful table for only 16 people. As people came in, you introduced yourselves to the other people who were going to enjoy the meal-- all coming from different parts of the world. They served us three courses of some of the most flavorful food I've had in ages! Last night's menu was based on an Indian theme. We were served spicy korma with basmati rice and a chilled white wine with a slice of melon in it. Then came sweet potato dahl with cabbage rotis (gluten free) and crunchy peanut-coconut salad (I'd love to know how they made it!). This came with a lovely rosé. For dessert there were these delicious banana balls rolled in coconut, some home-made chocolate sweetened only with honey and some yummy almonds to accompany the flavor. This came with a ginger tea that finished off the meal beautifully.

I highly recommend this dining experience. I met wonderful people I would have never met, and had wonderful conversations. The food was so delicious I've been dreaming about it all the next day, and my body has been in a state of euphoria ever since. Meghan and Sophie do a fantastic job, and if you're in Buenos Aires this is a must do!

1  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Jueves a la Mesa was recommended to me by a friend, about 10 months ago and that was the first time I did go there. Back then we had a mexican menu. Meghan did later share the recipes with all of us - who visited the dinner that night - via email.

I was impressed, the flavors were soo rich and I got to know some new surprising combinations.

Now just a couple of weeks ago in Januari I did have dinner again with that same friend and my boyfriend. Everything was perfect, Meghan is very nice and open! And of course she shared the recipes again.

We started with a Gazpacho and a tortilla on the side, followed by a salad and a zucchini/ricotta/beans lasanga, of course the desert included the home made chocolates!

I will go again soon!

1  Thank Tessiii
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Asado, Parilla, Empanada, Carne, Pollo, Milanesa … Two weeks in Buenos Aires has extended my Spanish vocabulary but most of the words I've learned seem to describe meat! There's an abundance of it on every corner, of every street, at any time of day you can get your hands on some meat.

This is all well and good but after a while you start dreaming of juicy, ripe tomatoes and crisp celery sticks. Finding this kind of food can be a challenge so I was over the moon to have an evening meal at Jueves a la Mesa. Run by Meghan and her sidekick Sophie, it started as a way to share good food with her yoga clients and has evolved into a weekly dinner party for 16.

The format of the evening was similar to a closed door restaurant but with a much more relaxed and informal air. There was a mix of foreign and local folk and because Christmas was just around the corner there was a festive merriness to the night.

What really impressed me was the openness with which Meghan runs the affair, generously sharing her space, her time, her creativity and her recipes with her guests. After each dinner she sends out an email with the recipes her and Sophie cooked that evening so you can attempt to recreate the meal. The menu changes fortnightly and takes in the natural bounty of food available in Argentina. Our menu included:

Starter: Cerviche (fish is substituted with Plátanos, a bigger, less sweet relative of the banana that needs to be cooked before eaten.)

Main: A nutloaf recipe adapted be more like Christmas stuffing served with Blueberry/Membrillo Sauce, Zapallitos filled with Guiso and a Stone Fruit Salad.

Dessert: Calabaza (Butternut Squash) Pie and homemade heart-shaped dark chocolate.

1  Thank IndianaJune