“A great introduction to a complex city”

Rent a Local Friend - Tours
Ranked #84 of 274 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Rent a Local Friend and Live the Local Spirit of different citiesExplore local's favorite spots and get authentic tips, behind the touristic sceneDon't be a tourist! Be a local traveler!
Hong Kong, China
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A great introduction to a complex city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

After a successful experience with Rent a Local Friend in Sao Paulo the previous week, I used their services in Buenos Aires in mid February. My guide, Gizele, took me to several conventional tourist sites, like Recoleta Cemetery, San Telmo and Boca, but was happy to improvise when we stumbled on something interesting, like the display of Mexican artifacts at the PROA Foundation. One of the highlights of my day was lunch at a San Telmo restaurant that was managed by a delightful elderly lady who knew Gizele (and insisted that Gizele finish her empanada before she would be able to leave). The only drawback was that Gizele is not a native English speaker, though this was a minor issue.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank ChristopherDillon

Porto Alegre
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Buenos Aires, for expertises or begginers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We know Buenos Aires, at least we can say it after 10 visits....
But we'd like to see other angles, very different from the city tours included in very old packages. We aske for a tour in Santelmo off-fair, in a working day.
It was a very pleasent tour. We could experience a real neighbourhood, with a real life, not an artficial place like the Santelmo Fair or La Boca...
You can deal what kind or tour you'd like to do. It'll be a excelent time in Buenos Aires

Visited January 2012
1 Thank PortoAlegreViajero
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Tour Buenos Aires as a local, with a local...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

I spent several weeks in Brazil on business and decided to head to Buenos Aires for vacation for a few days at the end of the trip. I booked a bus tour the first day in the city...thinking it would be the ideal way to become acquainted with the city quickly. It was a big mistake...though it was really cheap -- Grey Line Tours -- they hardly ever let us off the bus for the 4 hour ride and you were stuck trying to take photos from the windows of the moving bus while listening to the annoying commentary. On my second day I decided to try Rent a Local Friend instead, after having a good experience with a guide from the organization in Sao Paulo. Gisele picked me up from my hotel in Puerto Madero and I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to see or do (except that I wanted to work some shopping into the day). ;) She took to me to San Telmo for a few hours to start. We had coffee outdoors in a park and mapped out our day, then started exploring the neighborhood -- lots of antique shops and cute boutiques. Then Gisele insisted on taking me to the magnificent El Ateneo book store. Incredible, and absolutely...a must see...set in an old theater. Then we were off to Palermo for lunch and shopping. We walked mostly, a few quick taxis between neighborhoods. It was the perfect way to explore the city as a local, with a local. I would highly recommend Gisele to anyone looking for a personal guide in Buenos Aires!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank vlovesmangoes
Porto Alegre
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“there are places where it is better not to be alone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

tango classes in La Boca.
outlets in Barracas, and stroll through Pasaje Lanin