“Tucked away, but 'the' place to go if you can dance tango”
Review of La Viruta Tango

La Viruta Tango
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A local showed me this milonga. Apparently it's one of the best places to go for a milonga in BA.
You have to pay to get in whether you want to dance or not. This place is full of good dancers-the best ones come 2-3am though! BA likes to party late!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

attracts locals and tourists and has many different times and levels of classes - both salsa and tango - my friend who lives in Buenos Aires brought me here - he goes with his friends every week - I didn't have to understand spanish to "get it". Recommended!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been visiting and living in BAires for the last 2 years and have been going to La Viruta the whole time. Last night was MY LAST TIME.

I went 4 nights ago and the staff were rude, the atmosphere horrid and the music terrible but I thought that was a one off. Unfortunately not. Something has changed for the worse at La Viruta; last night I was rudely told to leave a table even though it was empty and I said I would move immediately when the people returned from dancing; the door staff were rude; and to top it off when we had enough and went to leave again I was told rudely by a man that "I could not sit down in the entrance and change my shoes"!!! This is supposed to be a dance academy; I was not in anyone's way or near the door, and this is part of the tango tradition.

When I turned around and politely said that I was a loyal customer for years and was saddened by the change in attitude his first rude loud comment was "De donde sos?/Where are you from?". What does it matter if my accent shows I am not Argentinian. I still pay the ticket and buy the wine.

I ADVICE YOU GO to La Catedral instead (Sarmiento 4006) for amazing, friendly and atmospheric tango with friendlier service. The chapter has ended for me for La Viruta.

2  Thank R B
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Very well located in Palermo neighborhood, with classes for 5 tango levels every day, ranging from advanced to very beginner (you can start from 0 - in a class where no one has ever danced tango before). No need to go with a partner either, as there's always plenty of people and you switch partners every few minutes.

The best part is that one gets to experience the real thing, with renowned tango dancers and teachers, and it's a place filled with locals dancing. The teachers also offer a show dancing tango themselves, which is really worth watching. Great food too, I've had dinner there a few times. The only cons to mention is that the place can get crowded at times, especially on days that well known live tango orchestras are playing.

Check it out, as they say at the entrance, you'll go in walking, you'll come out dancing.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

"When in Rome..." as they say. You must learn tango if you are in Buenos Aires. Had a fantastic night with great teachers. Very authentic - helps if you speak Spanish.