“One of the Highlights of Our Trip!”

Argentine Cooking Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I just had our honeymoon in Buenos Aires and decided to take a cooking class with Norma, and we are sooo glad we did! It was an amazing experience. Norma is not only an excellent cook and teacher but an awesome person to have lunch and a glass a wine with. She even taught us about the custom of drinking mate and sharing some with us. She welcomed us into her beautiful home (located in a very nice part of the city) and gave us a unique, authentic experience that ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. She even gave us a booklet of recipes that includes the dishes we made and others. Norma's class is a must-do for anyone interested in Argentine cooking and the opportunity to hang out with a Buenos Aires local.

All reviews
"lentil stew"
in 40 reviews
"empanadas"
in 111 reviews
"beautiful apartment"
in 10 reviews
"cooking class with norma"
in 7 reviews
in 5 reviews
"daily life"
"cultural experience"

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a lovely time cooking with Norma. It was so lovely to be welcomed into her home to cook and share a meal. We made empanadas, lentil stew, and very Argentine alfajores! We traveled to BAon our honeymoon. Norma has a beautiful home in a lovely neighborhood of BA. She gave our lessons in English and taugh us the Spanish words for all of our ingredients. Then we sat down to enjoy our meal. We talked about travel, each of our jobs, family. It was such a personal experience for our first trip to BA. I can't say enough about how fun this was. Do consider it!!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The cooking class with Norma is an excellent way to learn first-hand about the types of dishes that are prepared locally. The classes are small in size and are held in Norma's home, which provides a much more personal and authentic cooking experience. Be prepared to get your hands dirty – you won't just be observing, you'll be chopping, slicing, mixing and of course, tasting!

I'd highly recommend this for anyone looking to take back a little Argentinian flavor with them to their home country. Plus, what better way to bond with others than over food?!

1  Thank LindsayKH
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We LOVED it! Of the 8 days we spent in Buenos Aires, this experience was the highlight of our trip. I still can't believe all that we did in 3 hours. We cooked 3 delicious items, ate and had lots of time to visit during dinner. I think it was very fairly priced at $85 US per person (about the same as a local cooking class at Sur le Table in Houston). Norma modified the menu so those that didn't eat meat had their vegetarian/vegan dishes and those of us that wanted meat had that too. Very accommodating. We received excellent instruction, time in the home of a fine Argentinean lady, ate some fabulous food and shared quality time meeting new people(3 from Sweden and 2 from New Zealand). Plus, the views from the windows of Norma’s apartment were spectacular. You could see all over the city on the clear, crisp Autumn day in the middle of March ( it’s Spring for us, Fall for them).

A thousand thank-you’s to Norma. She was so warm and welcoming...and a GREAT chef!

2  Thank WayneToTheMax
See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Due to an incorrect date in booking my return flight, I found myself with an extra day in Buenos Aires. Thanks to TripAdvisor, I found the perfect activity. Norma was able to schedule a private cooking class for me on a Tuesday morning. By chance, a lovely Canadian lady had the same idea so the three of us spent the morning doing what we all love most, cooking! Empanadas, wine. Salad, wine. Stew, wine. Dessert, more wine! Suffice to say we had a wonderful time!

The recipes were delicious. (Ask the taxi driver about the wonderful empanada I shared with him on the way back to the hotel. I kept the dessert for myself!) And once you get the hang of tucking the dough, you turn out beautifully crafted empanadas. Recipes are included (more than what you make there) and I even found the frozen empanada discs, that make things ever so much easier to recreate in your own kitchen, here in the states.

Thanks, Norma, for a great time. Now when I invite folks to see my pictures of Antarctica, I can offer them a great Argentinean meal as well! We are all looking forward to that!

1  Thank MEG301