“A Must Do for Foodies in Buenos Aires!”

Buenos Aires Food Tours
Ranked #12 of 58 Food & Drink in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Historical, cultural and culinary walking tours. Friendly and informative, delicious walking food tours through Buenos Aires' historic neighborhood. Discover the sights and flavors of the city’s most delicious kitchens.
Reviewed February 19, 2012

For a more detailed review, please read our recent blog post on Buenos Aires Food Tours:

We had a wonderful experience with Buenos Aires Food Tours during our time here in Buenos Aires.

This unique tour group is not just about food. Aside from pigging out on all the regional delicacies, they also want their customers to gain knowledge about the local community, the history of the city, and the beautiful architecture that defines Buenos Aires.

We signed up for the San Telmo Food Tour and to be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the day. I imagined it to involve a BUNCH of walking around the city, followed by sampling small bites to eat at street vendors and markets.

However, it turned out to be a full day of eating wonderful food and drinking luscious Argentinean wines at romantic local restaurants. The day was peaceful, the ambiance was casual, and the company was superb. In addition, Jorge was an incredibly warm and knowledgeable local tour guide (and avid foodie) that was educating us on the local history and traditions of Buenos Aires.

Jorge started the day off by walking our group through Mercado San Telmo to teach us about the notorious cuts of meat in Argentina. During our time in the Mercado, he had us interacting with quirky butchers who were enthusiastic to show us the ropes to the world of meat.

We then moved onto our first restaurant of the day, Pasaje Solar, which is situated in a charming house from the late nineteenth century. Here, Jorge ordered wine for the table and a multitude of plates including pickled eggplant, pizza with black olive dough, fried eggplant with tomato and cheese, flank steak caprese, Spanish tortilla, fried chard, and stuffed mushrooms... Yum!

As if this wasn't enough food and wine, we then headed to Resto Del Viejo for lunch (an old fashioned fancy hotel restaurant) where we ordered a couple bottles of wine for the table along with veal Milanese, pork tenderloin, and sweet potato jelly and cheese.

To cap off the day, we went to the oldest cafe and bar in Buenos Aires, Bar Plaza Dorrego, for espresso and shelled peanuts.

All of the meals were exquisite, the dining at the restaurants never felt rushed, and the group had an amazing time getting to know each other and interact with Jorge. It also was an incredible value for your money with all the food and wine we consumed!

If you have a chance to travel to Buenos Aires, book a food tour with Buenos Aires Food Tours immediately! You will not be disappointed. It’s such a great way to see the city and learn more about the culture of Buenos Aires – Highly recommended!

Disclosure: My husband and I were sponsored guests of Buenos Aires Food Tours and thus did not pay for our tour. As always, our opinions are our own and unbiased. If we hate it… you will know.

2  Thank LandingStanding

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I have been staying in Buenos Aires for a month & have done a few tours while I have been here - this tour was by far the best I have done.
I did the San Telmo tour with Amalia & was fantastic !! Amalia was great & very knowledgeable, we had a great afternoon & the time went too quickly!
I booked with quite short notice & Jorge was very accommodating & the booking process was very easy - something that I have found is not always the case here...
Thank you Jorge & Amalia - I had a great day !!

2  Thank NettsG
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Tour was given by Jorge's sister who knows nothing about food! We knew we were in for a bad day when we were taken to a food and antique market where virtually everything was closed. We were shown a church which was also closed. We had some starters in a restaurant but she didn't explain that we were going to another so we arrived at he next one not needing to eat. We were offered a cheap glass of wine. A tasting would have been more appropriate. I'm particularly interested in organic food. She gave us the address of a shop which proved to be incorrect. She promised to email information but no email arrived.
I strongly suggest avoiding this tour if you wish to have a food experience in BA.

3  Thank Roger P
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We took the Buenos Aires food tour with my husband who loves (and cooks) Argentinean food at our home in San Francisco all the time (his mother is from the north of Argentina), and we enjoyed the Telmo food tour with Jorge very much! Jorge is perfect for this job! He showed us some of the off-beaten-path small eateries and we tried the best choripan in town among other delicious dishes. My husband got great cooking tips for grilling blood sausage the Argentine way from Jorge and already tried them at our home! If you are going to Buenos Aires, bypass the tourist traps and take the tour with Jorge!

1  Thank Verisima
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My partner and I booked this tour expecting a tour about restaurants but it was a lot more than that. The guide is a friendly man who is passionate about Buenos Aires (and he loves good food!). We got a lot of insider tips which was exactly what we were looking for. We usually don't like to dine at touristy places and like to find about hidden places that only locals know about. We got just that!

2  Thank stephanieb72