“'the art form aware of its mortality'”
Review of San Telmo Art Walk

$125.00*
Guided Small Group Tour: The Art Museums of Buenos Aires
Ranked #74 of 288 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: ESTA VISITA GUIADA ES EN Ingles!!! The San Telmo Art & History Walk is a 3-hour guided walking tour through Buenos Aires' oldest and most bohemian barrio. Graffiti. Galleries. Art. History. Culture. Open your eyes in Buenos Aires.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've lived in Buenos Aires for a while. I've walked through San Telmo a couple times. After walking with rick last Satruday, it'll never be the same. Now I know the ongoing stories that it's citizens are painting on it's civil surfaces, recognize when one gang steps on the toes of an artist or vice versa, and see how the art, form, and territory have changed over the years like a retrospective show except on going and the faces of their own neighborhood. This tour is not about tags. If anything the tags are pointed out as forming a sort of underbrush and frame for a larger center-piece, or as if the tagger had farted whilst the artist was reciting poetry. The tour was very comprehensive and cumulative so that by the end we were recognizing some of the major artists and probably digging their work. Now I can walk through and see what's new: who's painting what and who's painting on who.

While focusing on street-art, rick also talked a lot about some of the notable buildings in town, the ones which i've always kind of just looked at and said, that's cool. and about the history of the burro including the dark underbelly (underbridge) chapter as well. Overall, I'm a lot more informed about and intrigued by the area . Oh yeah and we went to a museum. About that I'll just say I hope the show's better when you go on the tour than when I did.

There are newer reviews for San Telmo Art Walk

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Rick provides a wonderful lens to really see San Telmo and what it is all about. The tour could not have been more personable and enjoyable. It has our highest recommendation.

1  Thank MyGreatLists
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Unfortunately we were not wowed by the street art on this occasion and felt the tour could have been more engaging. We felt it lacked the passion / enthusiasm of some guided tours we've been on and you often could not hear things that were said at the front, if you were stuck walking at the back. We didn't love the modern art gallery stop either (apart from the break from the heat!) as we prefer street art to modern art. All in all, we're very happy we did it, but it didn't live up to our expectations. That said, from the other review, it seems like everyone else has thoroughly enjoyed it, so maybe it was just us :)
Also quite a pricey tour.

JuaneleAR, Owner at San Telmo Art Walk, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thanks for your mostly even-handed review. I'm sorry the tour wasn't up to your expectations. It *was* a very hot day and I don't think anyone was at their best. Particularly me. I had just come off chemotherapy and was anticipating a major surgery that coming Monday so I was probably a bit off my game. Plus, I rarely have tours so big and they're very hard to wrangle. On the other hand, in 4 years of giving the tour, the word most people use to describe me as a guide has been "passionate," so you folks are definitely alone in that one. I do know that tours go much better with guest participation which is usually very good. My review of your group would also be unengaged. Further, I can't control the exhibitions in the museum, I'm afraid. However, I think it's pretty cheeky to complain about the price when you were given two opportunities to review the price and the offer of a discount, which you did not take advantage of. You are Americans abroad. $28 is not a lot of money to give someone trying to support himself while fighting cancer. I hope your stay in Buenos Aires was filled with more rewarding activities.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

After spending a few days in San Telmo on our own, we were very pleased to take this tour with Rick, who is so knowledgeable about the interesting street art which is all around. This is much more than just an art tour, but a great way to better understand this most interesting of BA's neighborhoods.

We are usually not big fans of organized tours, but this is simply a great way to have a 3-hour conversation with Rick and emerge a lot smarter than we previously were. Thanks Rick!

1  Thank tjchapman
JuaneleAR, Owner at San Telmo Art Walk, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thanks so much for the review! I had a great time answering questions. Conversation is key and there's lots to talk about in San Telmo.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

When I visit cities - especially ones as large and as densely packed with history and culture as Buenos Aires - I love taking walking tours to get a more in-depth perspective of the life in the city. Rick's tour did not disappoint on this account. We set out on a hot summer afternoon from Plaza Dorrego and had an enjoyable 3 hours walking through this unique neighborhood. I enjoyed walking past the cafes where noteworthy Argentinean writers and artists used to hang out, the beautiful 19th century park which still felt like a remnant from another time, the historic streets, the modern art museum and the picturesque neighborhood market. Rick pointed out the things that we would not have otherwise known to look for on just a short visit to the neighborhood, so it was great to get better acquainted with the neighborhood with a local in just a few hours. A substantial part of the walking tour featured this barrio's characteristic street art (by some very talented artists), and it was enjoyable to chat about these works with Rick, who is superbly knowledgeable in this area. If you have any interest at all in the arts, architecture or history, this walk is a must if you are in Buenos Aires. Overall this is a great way to learn more about the neighborhood specifically but also a unique and very memorable way to better immerse yourself in the city.

I had a great time with you two and hope you come back soon. Un beso.