“Come for Gaucho life, Stay for the Meat..”
Review of Camino Pampa

Camino Pampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Estancia and San Antonio de Areco Town Full day tour: This is an unique way of enjoying and experiencing the cultural legacy of the Gauchos, and Argentina's old traditions in San Antonio de Areco: "Historical Town" and "Cradle of Gaucho's Traditions". Includes round trip from Buenos Aires, bilingual local tour guide, asado barbecue, horseback or carriage riding, folkloric music, demonstration of gauchos' skills on horseback. Learn about the origins of our Criollo Horse, how we grill our beef and the ceremony of the mate. Performed by Areco's experienced locals, tours are based on visitors being in contact with neighbors, artists and gauchos.
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently spent the day with Guillermo visiting San Antonio de Areco and had one of the most informative and interesting days. I am a teacher and always looking for a tour based in history and Guillermo offered all that and more. I've found that some of the city tours in Buenos Aires tend to tell the same history over and over, but Guillermo's viewpoints and information is completely unique and original. If you have any knowledge of Argentine history this tour is a must because you truly can't read all the information he provides in a regular history book on Argentina or Latin America.
The day started when Guillermo picked us up at our hotel in Palermo and drove us out to San Antonio de Areco. From there we toured the colonial town. We visited a silversmith shop (one of the most interesting artistic presentations I've ever seen). While there Guillermo explained the traditional dress of the gaucho and the meaning behind the silver that adornes the gaucho. He also showed us how silver is transformed from its pure form into a piece of artwork. From the silversmith shop we went for a walk around the town visiting the San Antonio church and original gaucho bars. The whole time he gave us interesting stories of the area and introduced us to many of the locals. The whole tour was very personal.
After our tour of San Antonio de Areco he drove us to an estancia in the area. Upon arrival at the estancia we were greeted with wine and empanadas. Then we were invited to horseback ride around the estancia with Gaucho Oscar (one of the most famous gaucho in all of Argentina). Afterwards, we got to watch the meat get prepared along with an explanation on Argentine cooking. We then ate a very delicious and plentiful meal. There was tons of meat (sausage, chicken, and steak) along with wine, dessert, and coffee. After our meal we got to listen to a delightful music display from Gaucho Oscar (we liked it so much we bought the CD he was selling so I could share it with the students I teach).
After the meal and live music we got to watch a gaucho show off his horsemanship skills and were able to take wonderful pictures lying down next to the horse. We then walked around the estancia and were given a ton of information about the trees, crops, and natural elements of the Pampas.
I have to say this has probably been my favorite experience while traveling. Guillermo is very attentive with emails, information, and hospitality. I would recommend this tour highly to anyone if they are in the Buenos Aires area. Also, I think the price was very reasonable for all the activities, food, drinks, transportation, and information provided. Guillermo is the best and the tour would be very hard to beat especially those looking to experience the culture and history of Argentina.

Date of experience: July 2012
caminopampa, Propietario at Camino Pampa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Anya,
I am amazed about your review...impressive writer!!!
Your pupils are really enjoying your lessons for sure...
And I also enjoy your visit, you were really friendly and interested in all our culture, that´s what makes me feel enthusiastic and happy during the journey.
You have given me a gift with your review, thanks!!!

The best for you and Aaron, and keep walking the world!
Saludos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"town tour"
"gaucho experience"
"beautiful ranch"
in 6 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 16 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
"beef"
in 15 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"

Reviewed May 23, 2012

On a recent visit to Buenos Aires my girlfriend and I spent a wonderful day in the company of personal tour guide Guillermo Guereno . Guerillermo picked us up with his driver Carmelo at the Four Seasons Hotel Buenos Aires and we drove out of the city to San Antonio de Areco, a town that dates from the early 18th century and preserves a great deal of gaucho traditions and craftsmen. On the way Guillermo, in perfect Engilsh, gave us a fascinating history of Argentina and the pampas and how the gaucho, and estancion or ranch life had evolved. We visited a silversmith family, famous throughout the country (and to clients like Madonna!) for their beautiful hand wrought silver treasures. We rode out with authentic Gaucho Oscar, had an al fresco steak lunch at the wonderful estancion, and were treated to some gaucho folk songs by Oscar, and an extraordinary display of horsemanship on the lawn of the estancion.

We could not recommend this extraordinary day more, along with our personal tour of Buenos Aires and the dinner and tango show at Tango Rojo, it was the highlight!!

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank AdoVail_Colorado
caminopampa, Propietario at Camino Pampa, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Adrian, I really appreciate your review, and your visit!!!
And thanks for being so interested in our culture and heritage...it makes me happy to show all we have here.
You both were really nice with us...
Best wishes, Guillermo.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

recommend this excursion to everybody who is interested in local historical site and surroundings.The family structure of the estancia is very sympathetic and generous to all foreigners;our small group of 4 with our excellent English speaking guide Guillermo Gonzalez Guereno -who made us profoundly understanding the history and the present situation of this lovely place -gave us the best impression and the best day in Argentina during our 14-days trip.A very good price-quality relationship! A comfortable one-day-trip by van from Buenos Aires.

Date of experience: February 2012
GuillermoGG, Propietario at Camino Pampa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Lothar, really thanks for your review!
One of our main objectives is to provide you with a memorable time in the Argentine Pampas.
Thanks for let us know about your experience!
We remember you three... really nice to meet you!
Hope Jesus can contact Sabrina.
Keep walking the world!
Best regards, Guillermo.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I joined a group of six strangers from Germany, France, Peru and the US in Guillermo's comfortable van in Buenos Aires bound for San Antonio de Areco. His English is very good and he added commentary and answered questions along the way. He was born in San Antonio, grew up in Buenos Aires, and returned to San Antonio to raise his own family. Because he serves on committees that organize the gaucho festival, he has special "backstage" access. So after the parade, he drove us to the closed area where the gauchos (and we) had lunch. They had traditional music and dancing to entertain themselves during the meal. We were among the very, very few non-gauchos present, but we felt quite welcome. It was a special way to see an amazing spectacle. No other group offered that experience. If you're in B.A., do it!

Date of experience: November 2011
caminopampa, Propietario at Camino Pampa, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Dave,
Many thanks for your review!!!
It was a surprise to me. And I remember you very clearly from that day, you help a lot to make that day special and creating a really nice atmosphere in the group.
It is also nice to know that you appreciate our culture and our lifestyle.
Hope you come back some day to Argentina.
The best for you, and keep walking the world!
Saludos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guillermo.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was the most memorable day of our 6 day trip in Argentina. It was such a nice, relaxing break from the chaos of Buenos Aires. A car picked us up at our hotel at 9 and drove us to San Antonio, where our guide Guillermo met us at the museum. He told us the history of the gauchos and the story behind the objects in the museum. We toured the historical district of San Antonio, then it was off to Estancia el Ombu de Areco. This estancia is very authentic and so beautiful. Guillermo gave us a tour, then we rode horses with Oscar (the famous gaucho), relaxed by the pool, then had a huge feast for lunch - multiple cuts of steak, chicken, chorizo, salads, sides, wine, desert. The meal was incredible. Oscar played some music for us on his guitar.

I would highly recommend this tour for anyone who wants to visit San Antonio. Guillermo was a fantastic tour guide - very knowledgeable, friendly, knows everyone in town so he was able to introduce us, and he spoke English very well. We almost did a large group tour of a different estancia, but I'm very glad we went with Camino Pampa. It was personable and memorable, we will never forget it.

Date of experience: February 2012