“Um--- could someone get the door?”
Review of Defensa 821

Defensa 821
Ranked #99 of 259 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is the worst b&b/hotel experience ever easily. I made my reservation online (venere.com) and there was no asking about what time I would arrive or anything. I got to the place at 7:30pm (no sign or anything on the little door) and waited for several minutes after knocking on the door and buzzing the bell until someone staying there randomly came out and said the owners weren't there but that they would maybe come back. We called the only phone on the website and reservation and left a message. We checked back between a meal several times and finally at 11:30pm gave up and left to a hotel we stayed at before which luckily had space.

I emailed them making sure I wouldn't get charged anything (which I wasn't) and their response was that venere.com should had told me that their B&B was full, that it was venere's fault for not refreshing their availability calendar, etc. The owners may be very nice but if this is the case they should drop venere.com before they lose more business and get more reviews like this. What a waste of my researching efforts, my time that evening, my money taking taxis and ruining my evening. I'd hate for this to happen to anyone else out there... steer clear of this one. Cuidado

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jordypa

Reviewed January 17, 2012

The location of the B&B is quite nice, with the San Telmo market right outside your door. It is not a quiet location in the evening, but I don't think there is much in Buenos Aires that really qualifies as "quiet." We found the hosts to be quite helpful, arranging an early checkout and taxi to the airport for us. One suggestion for future guests, if you have any dietary concerns, be sure to advice ahead of time. I forgot to do this, so breakfast was quite bread heavy, hard for my gluten intolerant husband. The hosts would have happily arranged for a more suitable breakfast if I had arrange ahead of time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Home San Telmo ist one of the best Hotels/B&B we ever stayed at. It´s located brilliantly right where the San Telmo Fair is. Marcela and Jose and are very helpful hosts that never leave a question not answered. One thing, if you want a quiet nights sleep you should choose one of the other rooms (we had the one with the fair view). Or go to the chemist and get ear plugs. The room we stayed in was huge and had a balcony.

Room Tip: Room with fair view was really big and has a balcony. It was a bit loud though when sleeping with an...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We stayed in this Guest House boutique for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. The B&B is fantastically located.

Breakfast was lovely and the location in San Telmo was excellent to walk to good restaurants and bars. You are also close to the Subway which is useful for the main city.

I definitely recommend Home as an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed with Juan and Marcela for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. The B&B is fantastically located. On Sundays the start of the San Telmo markets are almost outside the front door. Everything was perfectly clean in the B&B. The rooms are excellent, clean and very quiet, the bathrooms are top quality. The breakfast is really good. I can't imagine staying in a better place in San Telmo.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in October 2011 during a trip to the amazing country "Argentina". The B&B was really nice. Great rooms, really nice roof too with tables and chairs. The breakfasts were delicious and exactly that we want. Every morning, crossaint, cheese and jam.

San Telmo is lovely, the location is really really good! Desnivel "The Parrilla" perfect too!!

Thank you so much to Juan and Marcela, they are make our staying more comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We had a 3-night stay and then a 2-night stay during our 2-wk Argentina trip. Marcela and Juan Jose are absolutely great hosts and made us feel like home.

We were early for our checkin so we left our luggage and head to the cafe that Marcela recommended. By the time we went back, our suitcases were in our top floor room already! I got great advice from another TA posting regarding the top floor room. We enjoyed the quick access to the roof top terrace and the daily stair climbing is worth it. We left our door opened sometime to get a nice draft. We got great suggestion from Juan Jose on many things - attractions, tango show, neighbourhood restaurants, traffic to/from airport etc.

If you are staying over the weekend, you will be in the middle of the Sunday market that stretches from Plaza de Mayo to Plaza Dorrego. Perfect spot to make a mid way pit stop to drop off your shopping.

The couple is kinda enough to let us store our suitcases while we head to Patagonia. When we returned, our stuff was already moved back to our top floor room.

Marcela and Juan Jose are a lovely warm couple who will share their stories with you.

We will definitely visit Argentina again in the future. Home San Telmo will be my first choice at BA!

Room Tip: The top floor room has an inside facing window. Not the best view but may be less noise from the tra...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple