“Party, Party, Party!”

Milhouse Hostel Avenue
London, UK
“Party, Party, Party!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in. I like to party and this was the perfect place to kick off my holiday to Argentina. Seha3 has done a good write up below and there is no point of repeating it, so I won't.

I went there with my girlfriend so I had to have a ensuite private room, which was large and clean. However whilst there I heard some horror stories from what was happening in the dorms (bed bugs, possible orgies etc) but that wasn't my experience. When I got back to BA I will definately be staying here for a few nights for as long as I can handle it.

Room Tip: Get an ensuite private. A little bit more money but you get to avoid other people's bad habbits.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Milhouse is the perfect hostel if you want a party hostel. Every night there is a party at either the Avenue hostel or the Hipo one, it alternates each night, then there is a recommended club which everyone goes to. During the day, Milhouse offers plenty of walking tours and other tourist activities to keep you busy. And at night, there's no need to think of what to do or where to go as it's all organised for you. The rooms were clean and tidy, I was staying in a twin room and that was quite spacious. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for a better hostel. I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Worst hostel I've stayed in since I arrived in South America four months ago. It was like faulty towers, but worse.

Had stayed in Milhouse Hippo in September and though it was a great hostel, friendly staff, clean and a nice chilled atmosphere! Avenue could not be more different!

There was a post put on our dorm room door to say it had to be vacated between 12:00 and 16:00 to be "disinfected". Fair enough. One of the girls was checking in at 12 and was told she couldn't get into the room until 16:00. It was only when we spoke to other people in the hostel that we realised they were actually fumigating the room to treat bed bugs. The staff never mentioned this to us at any point, disgraceful. Seemingly the whole of the 3rd floor is rife with bed bugs. I've about 50 bites all down my leg and 50 more on my arm, and I've had to have all my clothes boiled and sterilised. The rooms should be closed down until the problem is cleared, surely this is basics?!

Apart from this we could the staff to be lazy, passive and positively rude at times. The manager during the day was always trying to make a quick buck, felt he was trying to rip us off. Organising tours that cost no more than 100pesos per person to run and charging 600pesos.

Not traveller friendly hostel. Don't stay here.

1 Thank OrlaNicAogain
Kildare
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We were put in a bed bug infested room, the hostel obviously knew it was infested because after we checked in they put a sign on our door to say that we had to vacate the room for the day as they were disinfecting it!
The hostel owners and staff all obviously knew the room was riddled and still let us stay there without informing us! We were bitten alive by bed bugs gross!
When we were banned from our room and the cleaning staff were the only ones with access, my purse was stolen.
When I reported this to the reception, I was not taken seriously at all, the girl at reception laughed at my predicament and did nothing!sooo soo rude aswell!

Also after the disinfecting they stripped all our beds of sheets and we had to wait til midnight to get sheets again.

A few other things
< they have no smoking signs up which are ignored by guests and not enforced by any staff members

< we did a walking tour that was "free", they said we just pay for the bus and then its completely free! The tour was rediculous one girl bringing about 50tourists. We all paid 20 for the free tour, we got 1public buses and theyre 1.25 each. So how is it free? Most people had abandoned the tour by the end. We were supposed to be back at the hostel by 2.30, but the tour guide brought us to a restaurant which had a reserved area for us, she must have got commission! we were here for an hour and a half and was never mentioned to us prior to that we got back about 3hours late! Gained nothing from the tour it was too big so couldnt even hear her speaking.

< the have different sockets then most of argentina and sell you stupid adapters for 20 pesos (mine broke after a day)

< they charge you per person for aircon so rediculous

< the line at reception is always crazy so you have to que if you just want your key back

We had so many issues during our stay, that we would never reccomend this hostel there are so many hostels in ba and most are cheaper than here, go somewhere else!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

From the moment you arrive at this hostel (which is the "sister hostel" of the Milhouse Hipo a couple of blocks away you are made to feel welcome. The staff at reception are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, although expect a queue to speak to them most of the time (later evenings there seems to be less of a crowd). The are several communal lounge areas, the main one which boasts a well stocked bar with cheap cocktails, pool table and free high speed wifi. They even have a large number of power outlets (Australian plug / socket) scattered around so you can plug your laptop in and surf to your hearts content. Breakfast (cereal, bread rolls and jam, fruit, juice (the dreaded Tang) and coffee is served here between 8.30 and 10am each day and is free. The bar also has a pretty good range of food available, although only during certain hours. There are also telephones which can be used coin and card free - just pay reception when you're finished. Communal areas indoors are airconditioned

Ok now for the rooms. I had booked to stay in an airconditioned dorm room. My room had 4 sets of double bunks, and 8 cages which can be locked with your own padlock. I was lucky in that the set of bunks I was in was still bolted to the wall for stability. I would not like to have been the poor person trying to climb up to the top bunk of the rickety one that wasnt! Sheets are provided when you check in and there is a blanket waiting on each bed. Now we did have an airconditioner in our room, but there was no way to turn it on, and when i asked house keeping I was told it doesnt work (not great when they charge extra for air conditioned room!) The only method of cooling in this windowless room is the ceiling fan which circulates the hot air. Leaving the door open to the external courtyard area wasnt rally an option due to a lot of noise outside at all hours of the day and night (this was not a problem with the door closed). The room has its own bathroom with shower over bath, toilet and bidet. Bathroom door did not lock which was interesting in this mixed gender room! Staying here in January the temperature in the room overnight was around 26 - 28'C. It was not a comfortable sleep due to the heat. It was actually cooler outside.

The Milhouse hostels organise events daily, Staff are great with suggestons about where to go and what is on in the city each day - these are posted in several places so you dont need to line up to find out. They will also book you a tango show, football (soccer) trip, polo game etc at what did seem to be discounted rates. Both nights I was there a party was on in the Hipo Milhouse to which Avenue occupants were also able to attend. These were really well run - DJ's late opening bar with cheap drinks, and a very club atmosphere. Strict security on the door. Without your Milhouse wristband no entry.

The door security guys were very efficient and watched security cameras often opening the door before you even buzz if they recognised you. I never had to wait more than a few seconds to get in regardless of the time of day or night!

Overall the atmosphere of this hostel is fantastic, but the rooms could do with an upgrade. I'm not sure what its like compared to other South American hostels, but compared to ones I've stayed at in North America, Australia and Europe the dorm rooms were not as good.

Room Tip: get a private room if people coming and going at all times will bother you.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2011

.. and even if you don't, it's still a good hostel. The communal areas are comfortable with high-speed internet (that drops in and out) and a few couches spread around the room. The bedrooms themselves are as nice as you can expect from a hostel. Sleep is at a premium here, so don't be surprised if you get woken up by others in your room returning from the night's adventures at 6 in the morning, every morning. The staff are FANTASTIC. I was having trouble with a Western Union transfer, and one of the staff members simply went above and beyond to help me, a non-Spanish speaking foreigner, try and sort it out. So a big thank you to that girl. The hostel offers daily tours to sights and areas around BA. The location of the hostel is excellent also. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Brockley
Reviewed December 15, 2011

If you're 18 years old you'll think this place is 'totally awesome' if you're a bit weary of travelling and cigarette smoke you'll hate it.
Avoid if you don't like these things:
Beg bugs, we got covered in bites after 1 night
Smelling cigarette smoke while you sleep, it was so thick in the hostel it permeated our room
Crappy cheesy American dancefloor music really loud all night, they have a 'disco' in the hostel. It's lame.
Stupid semi offensive slogans: meat is murder, tasty tasty murder, Life is too short to learn German. Lame
The washing took about 16 hours to get back to us. Sounds whingey but other places do it in an hour
No internet in the rooms. In the smokey foyer you're good to go though!
They sold us an adaptor that doesn't work
Paying $75 a night all for the above privilege.

Go down the road to the Hotel Roma. $50 a night with none of the above mentioned problems.

Room Tip: Go to the Hotel Roma
Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple