“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 bubbles

La Perla
Ranked #1 of 273 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I can't recommend this place enough! Ada and Valentyn were wonderful hosts and so helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is in a great location and remarkably quiet, the rooms are a good size and absolutely spotless. Breakfast was delicious, I only wish I could have eaten more. Ada and Valentyn took all the guests to their tango club on Friday night and this was was a real highlight of my trip. If I could give them 6 stars I would!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sweet9caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Ada and Valentyn are absolutely lovely people! Staying at B&B Ada and Valentyn, upon reflection, was my favorite thing about Buenos Aires! I stayed with them for a week and took tango lessons from Ada with Valentyn as a partner. Valentyn speaks perfect English and Ada is expressive enough that you understand each other very well!

Among B&Bs, the styles range from hostel to hotel-type accommodations. At B&B Ada and Valentyn, you are truly staying in someone’s home, with all the considerations normally attached to this type of situation. Ada and Valentyn are warm and extremely helpful – they treat their guests as friends, even taking groups to their favorite restaurants and milongas (tango dance halls) in the city. Valentyn makes fresh bread for breakfast and they serve the best coffee in Argentina (where a café con leche is basically a cappuccino). There are several floors, beautifully restored in a historic building, and security is taken seriously – there is a key to your room, the floor you’re on, and the outer door of the building. Cleanliness is also very important and every part of this B&B is spotless – good luck finding that in South America elsewhere! It’s few and far between, my friends. There’s free wifi as well; the signal is not particularly strong, but there are several cafes nearby where it is free and you don’t have to ask for the contrasena (password).

This location is conveniently walkable for every (notable) part of Buenos Aires except Palermo and La Boca, but Palermo is only a 10-15 minute train ride and there is a stop very close to the B&B. Also, you’re not supposed to go into La Boca unless you go with a tour and it’s very easy to do.

If you are looking for a clean, cozy, and comfortable place to stay, Ada and Valentyn will welcome you with open arms!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room with a private bathroom the next door down. The single room had a twin be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I don’t usually use clichés like “Home away from home,” but that’s exactly how I felt at this B & B. It was a sanctuary in the heart of the city – extremely quiet, peaceful, clean, and serene. You will NOT find another place this wonderful at this price in Buenos Aires.

I suppose it’s not for everyone – some people like cable television and hotel breakfast buffets, or they want to stay in a trendier neighborhood such as Palermo. But I adored this place. It’s on 2 floors of an old, beautiful building – other reviewers have noted the very high ceilings and hardwood floors. Unlike a number of old buildings in which I’ve stayed, this one has been renovated to include modern amenities, including fully-functioning plumbing, plenty of hot water, wi-fi, and a good electrical system (I counted about 12 outlets in one of the single rooms in which I stayed!).

Ada and Valentyn were hard-working, gracious, considerate, caring hosts who helped out in every way they could. Guests who wanted to be left to their own devices were fine, but those of us who wanted to “join the family” were delighted to do so. I was pretty independent – this was my 4th trip to Argentina, I have a feel for the city, and I had Spanish classes that took up most of my weekdays. But A & V helped me with taxis, gave me change for the buses and advice when needed, and invited me to join the groups of guests going to dinner one night and to tango milongas (dance venues) on other nights. I did not avail myself of tango lessons, but this was my first visit to an “authentic,” non-tourist milonga, and I loved watching Ada and Valentyn and the other dancers. I had a great time engaging in multilingual conversations with A & V and the other guests – in the 10 days I stayed there, I met folks from Australia, Austria, England, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands, Mexico, and the US. I spoke Spanish with Ada and mostly English with Valentyn, although he’s fluent in Dutch and Spanish (and perhaps other languages).

The location is ideal for sightseeing; the B & B is in Microcentro, within walking distance of many of Bs As’ interesting neighborhoods, including Montserrat, San Telmo, Retiro, and Puerto Madero. It’s 2 blocks from the Plaza de Mayo, less than a block away from the Feria de San Telmo (the flea market/ antiques shops held each Sunday) on Calle Defensa, and directly across the street from a beautiful church, site of the first church built in Buenos Aires. The B & B is right next door to a wonderful used bookshop, the oldest bookstore in the city, and a block away from a laundry. It’s also very close to 3 subway lines, and a reasonable walk to the B line, which I took each morning to my Spanish school (quite quick and painless, as the trains going OUT of the city center are uncrowded at rush hour).

Breakfast is lovely – quite good continental style. As I’m a fan of US-style breakfasts (I need protein, such as eggs, in the morning), it wasn’t ideal for me. But the coffee was great, the orange juice very fresh, the bread homemade, the marmalades organic, and the scones and sweet bread from a good bakery – and the yogurt on weekends was a nice addition. They also provided fruit and filtered water in the little dining area so guests could fill water bottles (the city tap water has a lot of chlorine in it).

I stayed in 2 different rooms during my 11 nights there, and both were extremely comfortable, with good mattresses, large wardrobe cupboards, air conditioning units, and fans. The first room also had a sturdy table for my laptop computer so I could study for my classes. That room was unavailable on the last 2 nights, so I was given, at no extra charge, a room on the upper floor with a private bathroom next door. The rooms were nearly spotless, and fresh towels and room cleaning were provided daily. Décor is simple and attractive, with framed prints from old tango sheet music on many walls. The wi-fi worked well everywhere. Before arriving at Ada & Valentyn’s, I was paying the same rate per night for single hostel and hotel rooms in Montevideo and another town in Uruguay, and this B & B was a gorgeous palace compared to those places!

Some advice: bring flip flops or light slippers to wear indoors – the sidewalks of Buenos Aires can be filthy and it’s nice to leave street shoes inside the door of one’s room, and sandals or flip flops are quieter on the B & B’s hardwood floors.

There are pickpockets in the area, as there are in cities with many tourists, so it’s really best to take a taxi when arriving and leaving with luggage. I had no problems whatsoever when I went out with just a small backpack or bag – I remained alert in the neighborhood and took a taxi late at night, but did come and go at all hours by myself between 8 a.m. and 1 a.m. There were police around at various times, especially near the churches, where people were attending Easter and Holy Week services.

Now that I’ve discovered Ada and Valentyn’s, I’ll never have to look for another place to stay in Buenos Aires. I would’ve liked to spend a few more weeks there, but unfortunately I had to get home and go back to work. I can’t wait to return to their B & B!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank springbyker
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

As you walk through the street level door and down the long corridor, you are transported away from the hustle of the city into another place altogether. This place deserves all the great reviews.

Ada and Valentyn are a lovely, hospitable couple, who really know how to run a b&b.

Our room was huge, the ceilings must be 12 feet high, very clean and cosy. There were two shared bathrooms, both immaculately clean and with the best showers!

The breakfast included fresh orange juice, coffee and home made breads. It was delicious.

The location is superb. You are only a couple of blocks from Plaza del Mayo and within walking distance of San Telmo. It's also well connected to the rest of the city.

The hosts were very helpful with booking restaurants, taxis, etc. They really make you feel welcome.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kdevLondon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This is our first ever review on Trip Advisor. We have made an exception here for Ada and Valentyn.The accommodation is perfectly positioned to access the heart of Buenos Aires and the subway. Our room was clean and spacious, the breakfasts varied and plentiful. As a guest you are treated as family and learn more than a tourist brochure will tell you about a city. To be able to attend a milonga with Ada and Valentyn was an unforgettable travel experience and confirmed our view that the most important aspect of travel is the people you meet not just the sights you see. This is first class accommodation at a very reasonable price.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew C
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

we stayed here for 4 nights. Very clean and cozy and the house was cold enough at night that we don't even need a fan. It's an old house with wooden floor, so just need to be extra quiet during the night to prevent disturbing other guests.

good location. walking distance to plaza de mayo and san telmo, also easy access to buses and subway station. breakfast was good (homemade breads by the host) and it's served in the little pantry.

ada & valentyn were great host. they furnished us with information needed in BA and assist us in every way they can. we were lucky enough to join them to a tango club to experience the specialty in BA.

we'd rate it a little more than B&B!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Me and my fiancé traveled to BA in december 2012 and stayed for almost three weeks. The plan was to stay in different parts of the city and get to know it as well as possible in three weeks. First we stayed in Palermo Soho, then in Microcentro with Ada and Valentyn and then in San Telmo. The other two places were very nice, but it did not compare with Ada and Valentyn and their B&B.

Most importantly, Ada and Valentyn are such warm and caring people. It really matters to them how you feel and if you are satisfied with your stay. When you arrive they sit down with you and give you all the informations you need (and more if you want) about what to see, do, restaurants, markets and etc. in BA, and also how to get there. When you are a tourist, these kind of informations are so important and much more valuable than the info you can obtain online. We told them we were interested in taking tango lessons and see a tango show, and asked for informations. Then they told us that they are tango dancers and teachers themselves, so in the end they gave us tango lessons in a studio in BA which was so much fun. They also took us with them to the oldest Milonga in Argentina, where they go every week to dance. We took the subway to the outskirts of BA where it is, and had one of the best nights in Argentina with them. Thank you guys for sharing a part of your life and take us with you !

The breakfast is also wonderful, homemade bread and cakes with fresh fruits and juice, everything good and fresh. There is free water and fruits 24/7 which is very conveniant. The house is a 100 year old beautiful building in the heart of the city center, with everything in a walking distance. If you want to explore BA my advice is to stay in Microcentro where Ada and Valentyn are and take daytrips to other neighbourhoods. We stayed for a week in Palermo Soho which was so reccomended, but a couple of days there would have been more than enough. San Telmo is just a walking distance away from Microcentro and La Boca just a bus drive away. This is the heart and soul of the city, totally safe and so much to see and do.

We will defenately be back to this charming city, and we will book well in advance with Ada and Valentyn, the only place to stay in BA.

Warm regards,
Kári and Sif

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple