“Amazing experience of a lifetime...One must thing to do in Buenos Aires!!!”

Ruben y Cherie Tango Milonguero Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: To understand Buenos Aires, you must taste the tango! Have a complete Tango Experience by booking a private class. They can also take you to a milonga (social tango dance salon) filled with locals dancing the real tango of Buenos Aires. Ruben also does taxi dancing with 1-5 women at a time, so that they can experience and be introduced in the milongas. (No tango show style) Beginners welcome and no partner is necessary. Classes are in English and Spanish. Ruben will teach you the basic principles of the dance and the unwritten codigos of the milonga. He doesn't teach patterns or steps, but tango based on the music, embrace, connection, improvisation, sensuality, and elegance. Private lessons and group classes by request.
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Ruben and Cherie are amaazing and made my trip to BA worthwhile for that one hour with them. You feel like the tango curtain has been unveiled and you are privileged to learn how to translate a different art! The trip to the local milonga is outstanding....all of my expectations were exceeded. Cherie is very prompt, and incredibly kind while Ruben represents the word machismo in Tango in all the gentleman standards;))) cannot recommend this experience...Cherie and Ruben's heart personify the elegant world of Tango;)))!!!
Antonia

Reviewed January 30, 2011

It was my last day in Buenos Aires and I had my second and final private tango lesson at Ruben and Cherie's. Afterwards I wandered around Buenos Aires as if I was floating on a cloud, the lesson was that good.

There are several factors that make the experience with Ruben and Cherie such a pleasure: they are natural teachers who know how to pitch the tuition at just the right level for you where you are learning and being stretched whilst enjoying it. They are warm and welcoming (it's rather lovely that the classes are in their home as opposed to a hired venue) and they have a great rapport between themselves which shows up in their tango and rubs off on you. They are also generous with their time and want to squeeze in as much as you can absorb. For example, Ruben quickly danced a milonga and a vals with me towards the end of the class to show me what these styles felt like as I hadn't experienced them before. They enjoy what they do, like to teach, want the best for you and believe that the whole thing should be fun.

My top tip is definitely to take private classes. I went to several group classes in BA before I found Ruben and Cherie and it is a long and rocky road learning with fellow beginners who know as little as you do or even intermediates. Oh the difference to have private classes with someone like Ruben who knows how to dance, what the marcas are and how to explain them to you. Obviously it was Ruben I danced with, as a female. Cherie watches intently and offers pointers and constructive criticism in a way that is so easy to take (I must learn how to do that!)

The cutest video of me tangoing with Ruben arrived in my inbox the same day: I love the big smiles at the end!

Reviewed January 1, 2011

Ruben and Cherie are wonderful! Cherie helped me to find exactly what I was looking for including private tango lessons with both Ruben and Tina Ferrari who also accompanied me to numerous fabulous Milongas. It was an amazing, challenging, and delightful experience. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in authentic tango in Buenos Aires.

1  Thank AndyLemann
Reviewed December 6, 2010

A delightful experience. My wife and I are novice tango dancers and we really enjoyed our lesson. We only wish we had more time for more lessons. Ruben & Cherie obviously love the tango and are very patient teachers. Cherie is from the USA and translates for Ruben. That interaction is part of the fun.

After the lesson, we went to a wonderful milonga with Ruben & Cherie--an event not to be missed. To go Buenos Aires and not to go to a milonga would be a shame. This is a completely different experience from a structured tango show!

1  Thank bookista
See more reviews
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I first came across Cherie when I came across an article she had written on The Beginner's Guide to Tango in Buenos Aires for the Argentina's Travel Guide website. I had been searching for advice on, you guessed it, beginner tango classes or milongas I could go to during my short stay in Buenos Aires, and decided to e-mail Cherie in the hopes that she could direct me to one which was English-speaking, not too scary for beginners and not overly crowded, as most of them seemed to be.

She responded incredibly quickly - within an hour or two, if I recall correctly - and even offered advice on where I could get more reasonably-priced tango shoes, seeing as I had not brought any high heels with me. However, as I was too busy to go down to the shops, and as Cherie and I had the same shoe size, she kindly offered to lend me her shoes in the event I wanted to take a private lesson with them.

That sorted, I decided, why not? When in Buenos Aires...

And I'm really glad I did! I'd had two group lessons in London before this, but hadn't felt like I'd ever be able to do the tango until this lesson. Ruben was a fantastic partner to dance with, making me feel comfortable in the Close Embrace, while Cherie translated and demonstrated.

Cherie filmed my last dance with Ruben and e-mailed it to me the same day. I showed the video to a friend of mine who's been dancing the Argentine tango for years, and she was astounded by how well I'd done given how little experience I had. And that was all down to Ruben and Cherie!

I wish I could have stayed longer and taken up their offer for me to join them at one of the milongas they go to. I'll definitely come by the next time I'm back (and I'm hoping it'll be soon!).

1  Thank Dominique L