“New Year 2013 - Dancing Tango in Buenos Aires!”

Ruben y Cherie Tango Milonguero Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: To understand Buenos Aires, you must taste the tango! Have a complete Tango Experience by booking a private class. They can also take you to a milonga (social tango dance salon) filled with locals dancing the real tango of Buenos Aires. Ruben also does taxi dancing with 1-5 women at a time, so that they can experience and be introduced in the milongas. (No tango show style) Beginners welcome and no partner is necessary. Classes are in English and Spanish. Ruben will teach you the basic principles of the dance and the unwritten codigos of the milonga. He doesn't teach patterns or steps, but tango based on the music, embrace, connection, improvisation, sensuality, and elegance. Private lessons and group classes by request.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was fortunate to find my holiday plans were going to find me in Buenos Aires for the start of the New Year, with hopes/dreams of actually dancing there. My initial plans to "turn up" and see if I could get some dances at a Milonga, travelling on my own, were put into sharp perspective by fellow dancers in my home Tango community. Instead they hurriedly scribbled Ruben and Cherie's name on a piece of paper and gave it me as they left the Milonga in Shropshire, with strict instructions to contact them both.

Ruben and Cherie arranged for me to have a class at their studio in Boedo, which focussed on a rapid technique improvement, posture check and lesson in musicality and the art of following: all essential skills for making it round the dance floor in a busy BsAs Milonga. They then both shared with me some of the essential dos and don't s of Milonga etiquette (without which it could have been embarrassing in an amusing way), then Ruben whisked me off to a traditional Milonga in Barranco.

And I got to dance.....with wonderful Ruben...what an absolute joy. As I said to Ruben at the end of the Milonga, my feet were sore, and he commented 'but your heart is happy'. How very true - but it seemed to be a common emotion amongst the Milongueros.

Looking back now, just getting up to dance with Ruben in the very busy Milonga was a little daunting, but the idea of dancing with others was ...scary. Thankfully I relaxed and did get dances with other gentlemen, but just being there and being able to watch and share the common enjoyment of dancing was a rich experience. I would not have been able to do it without Ruben and Cherie's carefully focused teaching and advice and Ruben's so wonderful support.

I can't wait to go back....and I hope to bring friends with me next time to be coached with Ruben and Cherie (if they'll have us) and then to experience dance like no other in a Buenos Aires Milonga. I'll certainly be back.

If you want to dance in a Milonga in Buenos Aires, Ruben and Cherie will help make it much, much easier to do so - and if you enjoy dancing, it is a dance experience that is hard to match.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were so busy with our week in Buenos Aires that we only had time for one tango lesson. And we had read that Ruben and Cherie were the best. Any wife Olivia and I can both attest to that. One lesson with them was more helpful than we could imagine. And listen to Cherie's advice as to where to watch the tango and where to dance the tango. Stay away from the tourist traps, Cherie is the expert. Here's a link: http://tangocherie.blogspot.com/p/ruben-y-cheries-tango-services.html#.UKantYdQVhw

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had over a dozen private lessons with Ruben and Cherie between 2010 and 2012. They teach in Cherie's apartment in Boedo, just a couple of blocks from the nearest Subte (underground) station and even closer to numerous colectivo (bus) routes. So they're very easy to get to from anywhere in Buenos Aires. The teaching space isn't very large but it's way bigger than the space you have to dance in in any of the Buenos Aires milongas so you'll automatically learn to do things small and simple. Cherie is great to dance with and provides valuable feedback on how your leading feels, what is working, what isn't and what to do differently. Ruben is infinitely patient in explaining how to do something, or suggesting alternative ways to think of and execute a move.

Ruben and Cherie are totally authentic tango milonguero teachers. Ruben has danced in the milongas for over 3 decades, Cherie has been dancing tango for about 15 years. They know what they're talking about. They're passionate about the dance and share that passion and enthusiasm with their students. If you want stage tango look elsewhere; they teach milonguero style suitable for social dancing in the packed Buenos Aires milongas. Connection, elegance, musicality and improvisation are the cornerstones of their lessons, and for leaders in particular Ruben stresses the importance of making the dance your own. Cherie usually videos part of the lesson and emails it to you afterwards so you have a reference to continue practising from.

For those who need it they provide explanations of the codigos (rules of behaviour) observed in the milongas and guidance on choosing which milongas to dance at. They also offer a milonga accompaniment/taxi dancing service and tour guide service. All of their students are welcome to join them at their table at La Milonga de los Consegrados at Centro Region Leonesa every Saturday afternoon/evening.

I had private and group lessons with several teachers in Buenos Aires and those with Ruben and Cherie were easily the best and most useful.

1  Thank walkjivefly
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just back from our trip to Buenos Aires. We did three private lessons and a Milonga visit with Ruben and Cherie. They are incredible and so accommodating! We take ballroom lessons in the US and had some idea about how lessons work. Ruben and Cherie are incredible instructors. We speak little Spanish and had no trouble at all. They are wonderful teachers, and most importantly so encouraging! The best part is how they introduce to the true culture and spirit of the dance.

Our Milonga visit was amazing and not to be missed if you really want to experience and respect the culture/heritage of the dance. Simply incredible.

Can't recommend them highly enough to anyone visiting and wanting to truly learn about the Tango, how real people dance it, love it and for what it means. Mucho gracias Ruben and Cherie!