“A wonderful Tango experience with Ruben and Cherie”

Ruben y Cherie Tango Milonguero Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: To understand Buenos Aires, you must taste the tango! Have a complete Tango Experience by booking a private class. They can also take you to a milonga (social tango dance salon) filled with locals dancing the real tango of Buenos Aires. Ruben also does taxi dancing with 1-5 women at a time, so that they can experience and be introduced in the milongas. (No tango show style) Beginners welcome and no partner is necessary. Classes are in English and Spanish. Ruben will teach you the basic principles of the dance and the unwritten codigos of the milonga. He doesn't teach patterns or steps, but tango based on the music, embrace, connection, improvisation, sensuality, and elegance. Private lessons and group classes by request.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ruben and Cherie provided the very best Tango introduction and it was a pleasure to know these interesting and dedicated people. Ruben's instruction was simple, encouraging and easily attainable. He motivates his students to feel relaxed at the Milongas and as my taxi dancer, he led me to feel like an accomplished Tango dancer! Cherie provided the information on Tango culture as well as helping me with questions about the city and life in Buenos Aires. Being with these two was more than just a teaching experience, it was like being with friends. A. Howard

There are newer reviews for Ruben y Cherie Tango Milonguero Buenos Aires

Reviewed October 18, 2012

A truly wonderful couple who take you to another dimension. If you have never danced in your life, if you have danced all of your life.......they are the ultimate tango experience. I was totally transported. They are number 1 on my list of what to do in BA. I went solo with a friend, but iI am sure it would be great with couples.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Every newcomer to Buenos Aires tango should start with a lesson with Rubén and Cherie. If nothing else to avoid the pitfalls that beset unprepared dancers who visit the more crowded, traditional (and conservative) milongas in Buenos Aires. In addition to solid technique instruction, they also provide so much insight into the milonga culture - and to Buenos Aires more generally. I just wish I had time to have more lessons before I left!

Review

Rubén and Cherie and Preparing for the Milongas

Even with the guidance and lessons I had with my teacher before reaching Buenos Aires, I would have had a rough time in the milongas had it not been for Rubén and Cherie. A few hours after we got off the plane, my travel mate Janet and I walked the 20 blocks from where we were staying to Rubén and Cherie's apartment. Cherie said it was fine that my friend and I sat in on each other's lessons, which was a fantastic opportunity for both of us to learn so much.

First, I danced with Rubén which, if you have danced with the man you will already know this, was fantastic. It was worth the trip just to dance with him. I was all kinds of happy after we finished the song. Cherie smiled and said, 'did you hear the clicking - all the sounds you were making with your heels?" Oops.

"Yes," I answered hesitantly. Even though in other circumstances I really enjoy my heel adornos for expressing the music, I could already sense where this question was going.

"Try not to do that at the milongas. Keep your feet quieter." Adornments that make noise, heel or toe tapping etc., as I saw for myself at the milongas, are not appreciated and will elicit a row of disapproving looks. In the States that kind of thing is widely taught and encouraged - but definitely not appreciated in the milongas we went to.

(Note: all of my observations regarding what appears to be 'acceptable' at the milongas are only based, of course, on the milongas I went to since that's all I can really speak to.)

Other moves we were warned about that aren't welcome (and that clearly weren't appreciated in the milongas we visited) - high, sharp ganchos, leg wraps, high boleos and the like. In other milongas I hear there's little to no problem with them - especially very late in the night. But Cherie had a good idea of which milongas our hosts Maria Teresa Lopez and Margarita Guerra would be taking us to - and knew moves like that would immediately mark us as ignorant touristas. Not that we could hide that fact anyway - but we wanted to be respectful of the spaces we were dancing in.

That night at Club Gricel we saw tourists from the US doing every single thing she had warned us about - and the looks from tangueros/as observing the floor was not friendly. Mostly dancers with those moves were forced to dance with each other as many local dancers studiously avoided eye contact with them. The same thing happened at the other milongas we went to - dancers at Consagrados were even more harsh in their disapproval making quite audible comments on the matter. One couple was taken aside after the follower kicked a seated woman on the first row of tables. They were strongly encouraged to leave shortly after.

Every milonga is different and has its own personality. The best advice I can give in knowing what is appropriate and what isn't is to just watch the floor for awhile. Watch the dancers' faces - and reactions to other dancers. That can tell you so much. If you're not sure, err on the side of caution and keep your feet on the floor. If the practice seems to be bigger, higher moves at a particular milonga, then, if it's led, go for it. But watch the floor for awhile first and continue to observe throughout the night. As the evening wears on, the attitude can change as some dancers leave and other dancers come in.

Back to Rubén and Cherie - they are not only outstanding teachers, but very gracious hosts. They are warm and generous with their time and attention. The services they provide, from classes to taxi dancing, are worth every penny. They are well known and very well respected in the tango community in Buenos Aires, and of course around the world - thanks to all of the international tango students who pass through. If you're going to Buenos Aires, look them up - you'll be so glad you did.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Ruben and Cherie are a warm and engaging couple who gave us a fabulous tango opportunity! For a relaxed and enjoyable introduction to tango milonguero we would highly recommend their lessons and spending time with them in milongas.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Very warm, friendly & focused on their students, they are clearly living the tango and pass on this philosophy. The tango is good fun, a little challenging but well guided and I also can see how it could become addictive.
It is however the Cherie and Ruben show, welcome to Buenos Aires. Cherie was originally form California and although Ruben manages to communicate effectively he does not speak English he does speak Tango. We went to a milonga with Cherie y Ruben and that was an insight to BA social activity.
I do definitely recommend this warm embrace. Buy a copy of Cherie's book too, you will want to know her story. Cherie is an excellent communicator, and will stay in touch very effectively via email.

1  Thank BBear52