“Bad experience!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Algodon Wine Bar
Ranked #1,335 of 4,660 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Argentinean, South American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Retiro
Description: Algodon Wine Bar is a favorite destination for neighborhood locals and international crowds alike. Our unique wine list exemplifies the Argentinean wine portfolio, with emphasis on the premium and icon vintages of our own private collection from Algodon Wine Estates in Mendoza. Featuring a scrumptious menu presented by our Chef de Cuisine, our lounge's intimate atmosphere and chic Recoleta ambiance makes the perfect spot for business lunches, romantic dinners, after-office happy hours, or pre-nightlife aperitifs. Afterwards, head up to our rooftop Davidoff Lounge to enjoy an outstanding cocktail menu.
miami
“Bad experience!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went to dinner with a couple of friends last weekend, having read a review in a local newspaper , my expectations were probably too high, the food did not surprised me at all, very basic plates with zero presentation. Each of us had 2 drinks during dinner, and when we called the bill, the total beverage was the double of the food.
We left disappointed.

• Visited May 2014

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Excellent, refined”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

A fantastic choice in Buenos Aires. Located in the beautiful and elegant Recoleta District. Interesting menu options. Excellent service, really outstanding. It is highly recommendable. Located at the Algodon Mansion Hotel, a beautiful, very nicely renovated, turn-of-the-century french style petit hotel.
Not to be missed

• Visited April 2014
Buenos Aires
“The service improved a lot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We wento close to the opening and they were not trainned
Now, the have entered in rythm and the service is excelent, not only for dining but also for an evenign with jazz wine and tapas

• Visited April 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Unhappy happy hour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Ordered happy hour house drinks on two for one special, should have been charged 39 pesos and was charged 330 pesos was able to solve the issue later with one of the staff. But in general don't like to be cheated and then given no apology.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jerry061
Gregor_Beck, General Manager at Algodon Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Jerry061,

We are troubled by your review, as we believe it to be a misleading account of what actually transpired. We are sorry for any misunderstanding that may have occurred, and we can assure you that it was no one’s intention to “cheat” you. After a very careful review, it’s my understanding that you were able to “solve the issue later with one of the staff” because we conceded to allow you to pay a Happy Hour rate, despite the fact that it was not in fact Happy Hour. Moreover, the drinks that you ordered were not included among the Happy Hour menu items, and therefore would not have received a discount had it actually been Happy Hour.

Our specialty cocktails are available to order at any time. However, in order to receive the two-for-one rate, only designated Happy Hour cocktails may be ordered during the specified hours. Our Happy Hour menu is included within the pages of our regular bar menu, and we believe it is clearly marked with its designated days of the week, and hours.

Once again, we are sorry that there was a misunderstanding.

Respectfully,

Gregor Beck
General Manager, Algodon Mansion
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Happy Hours...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

What can I say, I love cocktails and the Wine Bar serves up incredible cocktails. I had a sparkling wine cocktail, compliments of the waiter and it was too good for words. I believe they have a very happy hour, which I missed several times. The interesting thing about Buenos Aires, nothing is open on Sundays for dinner... okay maybe not quite nothing, but following on my visit from Rio, it was a shock when I walked around trying to find a place open for dinner and this was but one of the few places open on the given Sunday in the area. Not their restaurant though, just the bar. The food was incredibly good, though the cocktail was not on par with the one I had before. The barman was clearly not on duty and the lady tried, but she just could not please my cocktail experienced tongue. Their pasta dish was okay, and as for them not offering a take away of my unfinished meal, I dont understand why not give it to me.

Its beautiful, worthy of a visit on any day but a Sunday when they operate on skeleton staff, which means you might not get a true reflection of what the place has to offer.

• Visited March 2014