“Dreaming of bife de lomo”

Gran Parrilla del Plata
Ranked #88 of 5,046 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montserrat
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Over nearly 2 weeks in BA we ate at 5 parrillas - La Brigada, El Desnivel, Don Julio, Las Cabras and this one, which was our favourite. For Western tastes, the classic steak to order has to be the thick, juicy bife de lomo, shared with another willing victim and ordered 'poco heche', or medium rare, if that's to your taste. Accompany this with a side order of the mashed potato, the sweet potato chips and one of their juicy chorizo sausages, and you have a delicious meal. Cheaper than La Brigada, a similar gorgeous ambience to Don Julio and better quality than the cheaper parrillas, this was the parrilla we would have gone back to if we could have faced another steak.

There are newer reviews for Gran Parrilla del Plata

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been living in Buenos Aires for three years, ans as this a city where eating out is a way of life, I have managed to enjoy a variety of restaurants here. The first few weeks I was here, I was taken to the Gran Parrilla, and I have been a regular returnee ever since.

The Guide Books will lead you to grandoise touristy steakhouses, many of which serve excellent meat, but at the higher end of the price scale. Although prices here have risen in three years, they have everywhere in BA, and value is what is important. We took two visiting Canadian friends here, and when the check came, showing $400, my Canadian friend pulled US$400 from his wallet, declaring how great the value was for the quality we received - How much more was he impressed when I told him it was AR$400, a quarter (at the time) of the price.

The steaks are to die for, the side dishes often too much even to share, and I have found all the staff to be attentive, friendly (not always the case in BA), and knowledgeable about the cuts of meat and the extensive wine list. Here in BA you can judge a restaurant by how many of the customers are local, rather than tourists, this always has a high proportion of locals, and returnees too.

My advice would be to skip the high price parrillas of San Telmo, or nearby Puerto Madero, and give the Gran Parrilla a try, I doubt you will be disappointed, I know I haven't.

1  Thank Liam3494
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We waited nearly half a hour to get a table, convinced it was worth it, but it unfortunately did not. The waiter was expeditive, unfriendly and unattentive. The meat was average at best and the fries were just bad.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

we enjoyed twice excellent diner there, the meat was tasty and service very kind. The waiter even advised us not to order too many dishes because of their huge proportions ! The deco beautifull too.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful long Saturday lunch here last weekend, ordering bife de chorizo and estrana (skirt steak) cooked medium rare with the rosemary roasted potatoes and a bottle of Patagonian wine called postales--fin del mundo. It was one of the best meals I have ever had!! It was late in the afternoon, and the restaurant was busy but had a few small tables open. Our service was attentive without being overbearing, and our food was perfect. To avoid getting an overdone steak, ask for it to come jugoso ( juicy). I understand from other reviewers that this place can be a bit touristy but we were surrounded by argentines similarly enjoying a long, lingering Saturday lunch, so I did not get a touristy vibe at all. It felt like a Paris bistro, but with better steak ! I loved the little sauces that came with--try them all, mix them together, enjoy them. This was a treat. I would go back in a heartbeat!!