“underwhelmed for the price”
Review of BuenosTours

BuenosTours
Ranked #1 of 176 Nightlife in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The 1st private guided walking tour specialists in Buenos Aires, the capital city of Argentina - now also offering private vehicle tours, tango nightlife tours & other local tourism services. Our tours are led by native English-speaking guides now living long-term in Buenos Aires. Listed by the UK's Guardian newspaper as giving the best cemetery tour in the world. Half and Full day tours available every day, recommend at 9am and 3.00pm, but a variety of other start times are of course available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The tour guide was very nice (american living in argentina for the past 7 years) but was late. Note that any transportation will be paid by you (you'll need a taxi and probably bus to go to La Boca and then San Telmo.) I was hoping for much more history and fun facts about the barrio's overall and development over time. Instead it's much more focused mostly on recent history and only for a few spots along the way. Overall, the tour isn't bad or lacking knowledge, but it's definitely not worth for that kind of price. If you buy a local guide and walk around, you'll get close to the same amount of info.

2  Thank Mike S
buenostours, Owner at BuenosTours, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Mike,

First off, thank you for your feedback on your tour with Chance, which is always appreciated, and sorry that you felt you did not receive an optimum tour experience or great value for money.

The first thing I should mention is that, as per our 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee, we gave you a full refund on the tour several days ago. We trust that you received that - let us know via email if you have any questions.

We hope that with the full refund you now feel that the tour was at least worthwhile - we hate to see people not have the best time possible on their vacation in Buenos Aires, as that is the whole point of our tours - as you can probably tell from all the other great reviews we receive here.

The refund policy goes for anyone at all reading this - if you feel your private walking tour with BuenosTours was not an excellent experience, then just ask your guide for a full refund, and we'll always arrange it for you.

In the case of your tour, I can only apologize that your guide Chance was late. We are on time 99.9% of the time, but have given many thousands of tours of the city over the years, so very rarely one of our guides might be late - especially in a city like Buenos Aires which can have quite unreliable public transport. But that is no excuse, and we are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

I feel I should mention that Chance then made up for the few minutes lost at the start of the tour due to his delayed arrival, by adding more time on at the end, so that you got to see as much as possible. In fact, he even asked you if you wanted to go on and see more in San Telmo at the end of the tour's allotted time, "off the clock" (as he often does, Chance is extremely generous with his time), so perhaps if you had agreed to that you would have got to see more sights and heard more interesting history.

Regarding transportation, as you note it is not included to or from the walking tour (although we offer a free meet service at any address within the city of Buenos Aires, to accompany you to the start of the walking tour, with you picking up the transport cost - most walking tour companies do not include such a meet service). This is all detailed both on the website, and in the tour confirmation email we sent you, so we hope it was not a surprise on the day.

All public transport (bus or subway) costs during the tour are picked up by the tour guide. But again, if you need to take a taxi for any reason during the tour (not something we usually need to do, but of course if a client wants to, no problem) then the client has to pick up that cost, which I think anyone would agree is fair (and is also stated in our tour confirmation emails, and the website).

Finally, regarding history and learning about the development of the barrios of La Boca & San Telmo, I am sorry we did not come up to your high standards on this occasion (which I note are very high, as you seem to give a lot of average or below reviews on TripAdvisor).

I think we could have met your expectations better in this area had you completed the client information form we ask every client to complete in the booking process (twice in this case), where you can put your particular interests and make special requests - which most of our clients do. We are always happy to personalize tours or slant them to the interests of our clients IF we are told them: this is the main benefit of a private tour. Chance also remembers that you did not make any special requests or interests clear on the day, so again he was flying blind and trying to second guess what you would like to hear. Sorry if he was unable to do so on the day (although Chance is usually great at that too!), and again, we feel bad that you left the tour wanting more - I know that Chance did his best to try to cover what he thought you in particular would find interesting, but I guess it wasn't to be.

If you're ever back in Buenos Aires again, let us know and we'll happily give you a free private tour of another part of the city to make it up to you. We'd love to try to dazzle you the second time around!

Happy travels!

Alan

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were lucky to meet two guides., Jessica and Chance. They both were outstanding. They were entertaining and interesting. Seven hours went by in a blink of an eye. I would highly recommend either one to anyone who would like to have a city tour.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our family of four thoroughly enjoyed the BA 101 full day tour with Oliver. This is a great way to immerse yourself into some of the varied local neighbourhoods and see things off the beaten track. Taking this tour with the engaging and knowledgeable Oliver is like having an old family friend or relative take you around. He also went out of his way to tailor and pace the tour to make it interesting for our two young daughters, aged 11 and 8.

If you have only one day in BA we strongly recommend one of Buenostours walking tours. If you have more than one day you may want to supplement with a bus or car tour which will cover more ground and give you a different perspective.

This company is first class all the way from the very first query I made to the nice farewell from Oliver at the end of the tour. Recommend without hesitation.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

As you can see from the other reviews, this company really is excellent and deserves the recognition. I met Alan for a half day tour and Richard for a full day tour. They met up with me at my hotel and it felt as though I was meeting long lost friends. The information was excellent and felt internalized by the guides. It wasn't just a script. I really appreciated the flexibility in what we saw based on who I am and what I like to see in a city. It was also helpful when I returned to the city in January for a few hours, I knew where to go.

There were so many amazing moments throughout the tours. I just can't express how special my visit was.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Given the hype of potential pick pocketing etc, we decided to go with a personal tour to see the city and I must say it was a great decision, not from a safety aspect (we saw no issues) but from the quality and knowledge we obtained. Firstly was the prompt responses and helpful advice on what would be a suitable itinerary given our interests. Isabel was fantastic and we hadn't even committed to using them. We then had a flight issue which meant we were re-routed to Rio and we went through various potential changes to our planned itinerary and timings as consequence of this - again all dealt with quickly and efficiently - which meant we felt in control and would not lose out on seeing the best bits of the city. Our guide was Jessica and she was knowledgeable and had a nice relaxed way. I have no hesitation in recommending them