“Absolutely Detailed, Fun and Wonderful Experience!”

Marcelo Alejandro Mansilla
Ranked #9 of 297 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires - Friendly, Easygoing & Professional... If you would like to see the city through the eyes of a local rather than the usual structured tour circuit, then I'm the right person for you!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I went to Argentina and Antarctica for our honeymoon, and spent a very short time (2 days) in Buenos Aires. Given our limited time, we wanted to see and learn as much about the city as possible, and this was completely achievable via our time with Marcelo.

Even prior to arriving in BA, Marcelo was responsive in his e-mails. He gave plenty of suggestions, answered our hundreds of questions, and really tried to get to know our needs and desires as tourists in his city. He was perfectly candid and honest (which I really liked) in letting us know which neighbourhoods he would help us to understand better historically/culturally-wise, and areas we would be fine exploring on our own (i.e. Puerto Madero, San Telmo), and his fees were completely fair. In one day, he took us to Recoleta, Downtown, La Boca/Caminito, rounding off with the beautiful neighbouhood of Retiro. Among the highlights, we visited the absolutely stunning Recoleta cemetary, the quaint and colourful houses of La Boca, and pretty much all of the city's major historical and political monuments. He showed us that BA really is beautiful city to walk around in, and in one instance of the day, he showed us how to ride the bus like a 'porteno'.

Marcelo was extremely knowledgeable in presenting the chronological evolution of BA and how multi-culturally influenced the city really is. We could see from his enthuasiasm how passionate he is about this city. I also loved that he would ask us frequently what we think something represents to keep us engaged (and it was a hot day too!), and constantly tried to help us learn useful spanish words (or different intonations). He was so calm, friendly and unassuming that it was like reuniting with a really good friend. He also took us to a really great restaurant downtown (La Junta) for lunch that wasn't a tourist spot at all. There, we realized that empanadas and pizza really go hand in hand (peas in pod) given BA's italian and spanish influences.

Finally, he gave us a bunch of material with restaurant, bar, and milonga recommendations that we could refer to after our time with him. We ended up leveraging two recommendations (Sarkis - restaurant, and Salon Canning - Milonga) and both were absolutely wonderful! BA is a beautiful place, but is only done right with the help and guidance of Marcelo! We would definitely recommend him to all of our friends and family to go with him if they visit Argentina!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

If you want a fully customized BA tour by a native, call Marcello. He's knowledgeable about the districts, and also the history of the city, and he cares! We found him easy to work with and easy to be with. His English language skills are excellent. From the embassy areas, to the parks, to the Soho of BA, and even to the shopping areas - not Mike's idea ;) , Marcello shared his city with us. He also recommended a few excellent restaurants - from a local Grill restaurant, to a high end dinner venue and a great location for drinks and appetizers. Ask for the tour you are dreaming about and he will make it happen. I would definitely recommend Marcello.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a 3 week trip in Argentina where I did all the planning (no travel agent), reading, and research. We started our trip off with 1.5 days in Buenos Aires, down to Patagonia, then ended it with 4 full days back in Buenos Aires. I had no idea how to do certain things in the city and frankly, just wanted a local to help me out and show us around.

Heard great things about Marcelo, and they weren't wrong! I really wanted to know about where to change money, how to get around the city, and some highlights and history. 4 hours is just not enough time, but we packed in everything I wanted and more. Marcelo met us at our hotel, then we began walking. It was great learning more about the Argentines and people of the city, and swapping knowledge about our 2 countries. At the end of the tour, Marcelo gave my husband and me a folder full of information - places to eat, shop, etc, that we used extensively on our 4 day stay in the city. Excellent recommendations!

As for Marcelo himself, he's an enterprising business owner who obviously enjoys what he's doing. He was helpful, humorous, and easy to talk to. It was a nice easy tour, never feeling rushed, and when we wanted a snack, he showed us the best place for ice cream. It was a great thing for me to hand the reins off for a few hours to someone so friendly and capable.

If you're going to spend any amount of time in BA, it's a must to hire Marcelo!

1  Thank Jojoyohobo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

If you want a cookie cutter boring old bus tour of another great city, a tour by Marcelo is NOT for you. If you want to see the real Buenos Aires through the eyes of local, with a passion for his hometown, then don't waste your time or money with any other tours. Marcelo will meet you for a wonderful walking tour that highlights all the things Buenos Aires has to offer. Our group of 3 learned more about the architecture, history, politics and food of this wonderful city than we could have ever discovered through any purchased travel guide or preplanned tour. Even TripAdvisor did provide as much interesting and amazing information. The passion Marcelo provided when describing everything from the founders of Argentina to the opera house was infectious and made me want to spend even more time in this city. The additional information he provided when our tour was over was used extensively and I feel it helped us organize our trip to the fullest. Marcelo directed us to some of the best meals of our trip. If you are lucky enough to have a meal with him, just follow his lead and order what he does. When I get back to BA someday, I will certainly plan to spend some additional time with Marcelo. I know there is so much more to learn.

1  Thank jchudson
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent an entire day with Marcelo and could not have been more pleased! It was like we had know him for a long time, he's such a personable, knowledgable, friendly person. You can tell he loves his job and his city, with such energy (but not over the top-just the perfect amount). I would recommend him to anyone who is visiting BA! Thanks Marcelo!