“Not a Parrillada”

Restaurante El Federal
Ranked #115 of 4,928 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Retiro
Description: El Federal is the restaurant where locals and foreigners can enjoy the very best of Argentine Cuisine. With our Tasting Menu you can discover the range and depth of Argentina's fantastic food and drink. We offer the chance to try ingredients that are uniquely Argentine and very difficult to find elsewhere in the Capital, Buenos Aires. El Federal is the perfect place to really embrace the flavours of our rich country.
Guayaquil
“Not a Parrillada”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is not a typical steak house. If you feel having a gourmet type meal this would be a good option. We were 2 couples. Those that had the lamb and cochinillo (baby pork) said it was absolutely great. I had beef which I had to return it because it was overdone. I requested it medium rare. They immediately agreed to redo it although that killed part of the enjoyment of all having the dinner together. Wine list is short. They accept U$.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Barrancos
paulafederal, Propietario at Restaurante El Federal, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I m glad to know that that your experience was good in our restaurante. At the same time i want to ask apologyse about the mistake in your beef, we allways change the dishes it there is any problem with them but is true that you have to spend this time without your meal.....sorry about that.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Littleton, CO
“What a dinner!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had the sampler of Argentina, come hungry because it is a 6 course dinner with two bottles of wine. This is one of the best memories of Buenos Aires. Go before 8:oo with out reservations.

Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Last night in Buenos Aires”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We found out about this restaurant through Tripadvisor and decided to try it out for ourselves. We were warmly welcomed by the owner and waiter. The waiter helped us with the menu describing and recommending dishes. There were a number of good options on the menu which made it difficult to make our selection. In the end, my husband chose the rack of lamb and I had the bife de chorizo (steak). The presentation of our food was excellent and I'm happy to say that the food tasted delicious too! The lamb had a strong flavour which was complemented by the accompanying sauce and vegetables. The steak was tender and flavoursome. The portions sizes were just right. I forgot to mention the empanadas we had to start. We shared 3 small but tasty empanadas, each with their own unique shape and flavour.

The service was a little slow because there was only the one waiter working that night. The ambiance was rustic.

Overall we enjoyed El Federal.

• Visited November 2012
Juneau, Alaska
“Great way to end my stay in BA”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

After spending 6 days in BA and sampling various local establishments, El Federal was a refreshing alternative. Despite the off-the-beaten-path location, the decor was creative and the menu was a great way to taste the flavors of various parts of Argentina. The prices were reasonable and the food was wonderful. Great way to create a lasting memory of Argentina and Buenos Aires!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointing - bland/stale food, and a flooding A/C unit..”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was disappointed with El Federal - I was expecting more given the good TripAdvisor reviews.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and the server was nice - but the entire time there was a major leak coming out of the AC unit at the front of the restaurant, which was slowly flooding the floor -by the end of my meal, I was walking through a puddle to leave. For some reason, the staff totally ignored this - I assume it's a problem they often have, but it was offputting.

Unfortunately the food wasn't great - the bread served was stale, and then I had the humitas tamale. This may be partly my fault for what I ordered, but it was very bland, and had a big crust of cheese on the top which ended up just giving me stomach ache. I'd give it a miss.

• Visited November 2012