“Home away from Home Conventillo de Lujo”

Conventillo de Lujo
Ranked #17 of 259 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed 10 days is Buenos Aires at Conventillo de Lujo. We had an excellent time. Amy, Angel and her staff took care of us. Ray answered all of our email when we had questions. The rooms were spacious, clean and well kept. The location is near local shops where you can buy food, wine and bring it back to your apartment. You have to go to the Coto Supermarket. It has everything. Amy gave us advice and directions on how to use the subway Line D to go downtown to the Street Market and believe it or not Chinatown at the Juramento stop. On our trip to the Street Market we met Juan Ramon Toledo, a leather craftman. He made a leather coat and briefcase for me. We had Christmas eve dinner and a Christmas day afternoon Argentine barbecue with Amy and her friends. My wife and I went three times to Canning Tango Salon. We also took some private Tango classes with Amy and another instructor Juan. On our final Saturday, she took us downtown and helped us buy tango shoes.
For those that don't speak Spanish and do not want to walk a lot, ask Amy to get you a taxi guide that speaks English, the driver will give you a 3 hour tour of the city. This was helpful in getting to know the city outline. It's very hot in December, we learned to freeze some water bottles and carry them in our backpacks while we did some day walks. It helps to keep cool.
My wife and I highly recommend that you stay at the Conventillo de Lujo. It is a warm and friendly place. We met people from Australia, Germany, Brazil and Peru at the Conventillo. You will have a great time. Enjoy, All the best, King & Carla, New Orleans, LA, USA

Room Tip: Choose the Red Room. Very comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank King L

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Thank you, Amy and Angel, for being so welcoming and hospitable. Although I don't dance I really enjoyed watching other people have tango lessons, and sharing experiences with other guests. And whilst other places in BA were having power cuts due to the heatwave, we never missed a beat at C d L, where the air conditioning was a life saver. Also, the wifi was excellent, which is really important when you are travelling on your own.
Plus, Amy went to a lot of trouble to put on a Christmas dinner for all the guests, which is more than I could have expected. She even took me along to her hairdresser when I needed a haircut to explain how I wanted it done. I could not have been made more welcome, and will stay there again when I return to BA.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently stayed 3 weeks at Conventillo de Lujo and had a great time. The owners Ray and Amy were the best. The rooms were roomy, clean and well kept. The staff was great. The common breakfasts made it easy to meet other guests.

I like to dance tango. The bottom floor has a nice dance floor. It was fun dancing with other guests and watching others who came to practice.

Amy is an excellent tango dancer and teacher. I took some lessons from her. She also went dancing most nights and welcomed any guests to accompany her. I joined her often and met some of friends as well. When she did not dance, she helped the guests organize our dance adventures and destinations.

In total I really enjoyed my stay at Conventillo de Lujo.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jmdal
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I travelled here on a business trip to Chile and stopped over in BA for a few days. I was travelling on my own as a single woman and the staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful to me. They really made the visit for me so welcoming and organised airport transfers and a wonderful day trip to the River Tigres. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff had time to help.
Breakfast was communal/friendly and delicious. The location is a little out of town but the place and the staff really made up for this and the public transport links were excellent. The neighbourhood was also very safe which is not always the case in downtown BA. I was recommended the house by a colleague and she did me a really turn by sending me here.

Room Tip: The accommodation is apartments and all seemed good
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've stayed in the Conventillo de Lujo 4 or 5 times and always found it comfortable, friendly and a terrific place to base my activities from in BA. It's cheerful & pretty and the staff very helpful. I generally bring groups interested in tango and cultural exploration and it's well located for both. I regularly recommend it to students and friends visiting Argentina.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This place is awesome! My friend and I traveled in Argentina for three weeks and spent many nights in crowded rooms. It was fantastic to have some space and be able to cook our own meals. The coffee and fresh fruit in the common area was a bonus. We even had our own balcony!

Conventillo de Lujo is walking distance to many attractions in Buenos Aires (markets and great restaurants included). It's also convenient to bus lines and the metro. Amy was a fantastic hostess (you might be a bit overwhelmed by her friendliness at first, but you'll be thankful for it by the time you leave).

As someone who travels a lot, I highly recommend this place. It's one of the best we came across in Argentina.

Room Tip: We stayed in the horse room. It was fabulous.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank akchick3
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is a my first time traveling solo in South America. Not knowing anyone, not knowing Spanish, I was really nervous about my trip. Thanks to Amy and Angel at Conventillo de Lujo, they made me feel at home. I was introduced to many great places in Buenos Aires. Amy was the sweetest lady ever. Try to get to know her, she is an amazing person! When she had time, she took me to milonga (she loves to dance!) and La Boca. I truly appreciate her friendship. Breakfast here was delicious. The location might not be super central, but it's very easy to take a bus of subte from here to go anywhere. I like the quietness of this place, not very touristic. It's exactly what I was looking for. I get to meet the real local people. Every morning, I practiced some dancing at the studio (wood floor) and twice a week, there are tango classes here. There are private dance classes available here too. Amy introduced me to the authentic Argentinean culture. For me, CDL is truly a home away from home. I would come back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo