“A feast for your mind's eye”
Review of Teatro Ciego

Teatro Ciego
Ranked #49 of 786 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Centro Argentino de Teatro Ciego ("Argentine Centre of Blind Theatre") is the only theatre in the world in which all performances are given in complete darkness. It is an inclusive cultural venue where senses are the main characters. It is currently showing 7 plays, including a gourmet show, a play for children and musicals. Darkness allows for a new perception of reality making sight unnecessary. This makes it possible for those with a visual disability to be fully engaged in the conducted activities. Teatro Ciego has hired 70 people, 40% of which is blind or with low vision.
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

After being guided in like a herd of baby elephants and gently escorted to our seats we were introduced to the table layout: where to find the starter, main course and pudding, bread and wine glass. The experience is set in total darkness which meant every other sense becomes very acute. Sitting with strangers around a table in the pitch black was unnerving at first but soon you become accustomed and you rely on your hearing, smell, taste and touch (each has a role to play) to relish the spectacle on offer. The food is not out of this world but was certainly passable and they catered for my wife a gluten free meal.
But the real star here is show.
The music is so evocative that at one stage I looked up to where the ceiling might be and my mind started playing tricks on me. The brain tries to make sense of the music, sounds and smells and leaves the imagination to fill in the detail. A truly immersive experience, a lot of fun and a piece of theatre in Buenos Aires that you don't need to speak Spanish to enjoy.

There are newer reviews for Teatro Ciego

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Una experiencia totalmente original. He viajado mucho y fue algo distinto.
Amazing experience. the play that i saw was only for spanish speaking people.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

After hearing a Argentine colleague rave about the shows at this place, a group of friends and I booked the dinner show. Basically the "dinner" was horrendous and minimal, the show was overly loud and full of noxious fumes, and it went on far too long.

The novelty of eating food in a completely dark setting was interesting. The food we were eating consisted of a breadbasket full of different crackers or stale breads with five different skewers of food (one was a particularly gloppy fatty piece of meat). It was followed by a dessert of fruit and chocolate that was unmemorable. We were still hungry, and none of us are very big eaters.

Then the show started. It was basically a very loud show highlighting the history of Buenos Aires through a family of characters. Interesting, historically speaking. But babies crying, car horns, motorcycle and bus fumes, ear-splitting trains and the smell of fire? We were hoping for a more abstract and natural experience, not the city "in our face." The novelty ended quickly and we found ourselves just waiting for the show to end so we could go out and eat again.

The show was entirely in Spanish, which is fine because my friends and I are bilingual. But if you're interested in this particular show and don't speak Spanish, it will be hard to follow the story.

There are other shows they offer besides the dinner/eating show. I'd try those.

2  Thank IMoveALot
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Love the show. Very original and fun. It makes you use other senses and they are very creative and charming! You most speak spanish though to enjoy the show.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was a very very interesting experience. I do speak spanish fairly well, but didn't understand everything, and went with my mother, who speaks none. I would imagine that you have to have enough spanish to make it through a meal to survive this, however its not necessary to be fluent to find the experience excellent. The show is in complete darkness and truly demonstrates what it would be like to be blind or visually impaired. I don't want to spoil the experience, as others have said because that is part of the journey, however, with sight gone, all of the other senses are used and the theatre work, music, sound effects, and other sensory aspects are certainly something that is to be experienced to understand. Worth every penny, and definately worth your time!! Note we saw "A ciegas con luz" which is a dinner theatre experience. I would go back and see other works, but think this would be a great introduction and likely good for non spanish speakers.

1  Thank ChiquiHerrera