“Excellent experience!”

Teatro Ciego
Ranked #50 of 795 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Centro Argentino de Teatro Ciego ("Argentine Centre of Blind Theatre") is the only theatre in the world in which all performances are given in complete darkness. It is an inclusive cultural venue where senses are the main characters. It is currently showing 7 plays, including a gourmet show, a play for children and musicals. Darkness allows for a new perception of reality making sight unnecessary. This makes it possible for those with a visual disability to be fully engaged in the conducted activities. Teatro Ciego has hired 70 people, 40% of which is blind or with low vision.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was a very very interesting experience. I do speak spanish fairly well, but didn't understand everything, and went with my mother, who speaks none. I would imagine that you have to have enough spanish to make it through a meal to survive this, however its not necessary to be fluent to find the experience excellent. The show is in complete darkness and truly demonstrates what it would be like to be blind or visually impaired. I don't want to spoil the experience, as others have said because that is part of the journey, however, with sight gone, all of the other senses are used and the theatre work, music, sound effects, and other sensory aspects are certainly something that is to be experienced to understand. Worth every penny, and definately worth your time!! Note we saw "A ciegas con luz" which is a dinner theatre experience. I would go back and see other works, but think this would be a great introduction and likely good for non spanish speakers.

1  Thank ChiquiHerrera

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am an actress, and it's a complete new experience. You will hear, smell and feel in a different way. It wasn't an awesome text, but the experience totally worths it. Some of the cast are blind, and it was inspiring to meet everybody. Great job and exiting! I really couldn't see anything at all! I saw "El silencio infinito"' I'm sure it will be fun for families with young kids to enjoy. The staff is very kind.

1  Thank MissCasiopea
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I can´t spoil the experience so I won´t describe it. But I just want to say that my husband and I LOVED it. This was something quite unique. Never heard of something similar before, what a great idea. We went to see La Isla Desierta and it was great! Everything is in Spanish so if you are not fluent it can be difficult to follow but anyway it would be cool. Would do it again for sure.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I don't speak Spanish but I "escucho con mi corazon" - listen with my heart. It was totally dark, I listened and made up my own story in my head about what I was hearing. The effects were neat - smells of cooking and laundry, a dog panting and clicking its nails, how did they make it sound like someone swimming across the room?! This was a very entertaining evening. One note, Buenos Aires is so big there is a Theater of the Blind and a Blind Theater so don't get confused and go to the wrong place like we did.

2  Thank spot295
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I went to see "La Isla Desierta". The experience is amazing, hard to describe.Your senses boost and the blind actors "take" you to places you could have never imagined. I totally recommend it.