“Nice hotel and Helpful Staff!”

Ayres Portenos Tango Suites
Ranked #226 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
perth
“Nice hotel and Helpful Staff!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This hotel is full of character and gives you a feel of the Argentinean culture, the staff is really helpful, breakfast is good and the only issue is with the location which can be a bit dangerous at night although we didn't have any problems.

This is an older building which represents the suburb of San Telmo and it has been well maintained by its owners.

Also the location an be a bonus as it is close to everything, just exercise caution.

Definitely is a good hotel to consider if staying n Buenos Aires

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

San Telmo is a great location for tango and this hotel is also within walking distance of almost all the sights in BA. Our room was clean and comfortable. All of the rooms are beautifully decorated and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsSmith201108
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spend just one night at Ayres Porteños, and it was quite interesting. Price is very good, room is clean and decoration is great. Each room has its name and special decoration. Breakfast is very nice. Our room was located near the front desk and it was really noisy, both from the front desk noise, but also due to the intense trafic in the street. We recommend trying something in the upper floors. Great budget alternative in the lovely San Telmo, with a number of small restaurants and stores.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front desk
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pianta
P
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Very well located in barrio San Telmo, the tango themed hotel has a cool vibe. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is good and the staff is very friendly and helpful (and give you nice advices for non-touristic tango places and restaurants). Also, you have two pc's with free internet access. We just don't rate it 5* because we stayed in a room close to the breakfast and laundry rooms, so it was really noisy early in the morning, which is awful when you want to rest.

Room Tip: make sure you don't stay in the last floor, very noisy
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank casteloandante
ayresowner, General Manager at Ayres Portenos Tango Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Hello Casteloandante! First of all I would like to thank you because of your review, it is really important for us to grow up and get the service better every day.
We never realized about this problem in the room 308 because we never received a complaint about the noise problem. In fact, because of your help, tomorrow morning we are going to take out the Laundry Machines, and we are going to offer Valet Service. This tuesday we are also going to improve the soundproof doors on the 3rd floor putting a ruber guillotine on the bottom of the doors and retired the breakfast tableware from the 3rd floor linen to not make any noise again.

We really appreciate your comment and we hope see you again in the hotel to can enjoy this changes!

Thank you very much for trusting on us!

Kind regards,

Jesica Panetta
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This hotel is not for business travelers whose travel plans may change on short notice. I checked out early as my travel plans had changed, and Ayres Portenos Tango Suites charged me an extra night for the early checkout.

Because I would not have made the reservation in the hotel in the first place had I known of such fee for early checkout, they said the reason was that they consider "every night as the first night of stay" (no matter how long your stay), so if I check out early, they charge me for the first night of stay (an extra night).

Yeah, made no sense to me either.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ayresowner, Gerente at Ayres Portenos Tango Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Hello Mr, my name is Jesica Panetta and I am the Ayres Porteños Tango Suites´s owner. I am answering your comment because I don't think what you are saying is true. You can also check all the reviews and you are not going to read something like what you describe.
In this specific case, you made a reservation by booking.com for 7 nights, you changed your plans in the night number two and you told us THAT MORNING that you were leaving the hotel. We explained you that the Cancellation Policy (which is also explained on Booking.com) says that you can cancel the reservation but it has to be 24 hours before you leave the hotel. I'm sure you understand that without a cancelation policy, this would generate losses all year long as rooms were already blocked for 7 nights.
I hope you understand that a Cancellation Policy is not only for the first night, but for all the reservation. You can also see that a lot of hotels ask for the total amount payment on the check in time, and we don´t do that becasue we understand that people can change their plans.
Kind regards,
Munich, Germany
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed here during May 2011 during a week-long trip to BsAs. The hotel is in an old colonial building with high ceilings and nice wooden staircases. The rooms are fantastically clean and nicely designed with the typical art for Buenos Aires. The staff are fantastic too - they helped with bus lines, tips for changing bills into coins and even printing our boarding passes! Absolutely amazing, thanks for a great stay!

San Telmo as a neighbourhood is our absolute favourite - we could walk around during the day to the center, to Puerto Madero and in the evening just stroll to one of many cafes, restaurants or bars. No need to hop on a bus for a fancy restaurant, its all around the corner (try La Poesia, which is the sister restaurant of Bar El Federal, amazing!). The only little thing maybe was the noise level in the evenings and early mornings, but no complaints about that really!

We would come here any time again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelyourdream2011
Lima, Peru
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I got in touch with the hotel thorugh email, and got confirmation after insisting. Since it was on a short notice it was ok.

Check in was a painfull process, I arrived at 6am, very tired, just to meet the receptionist from HELL. Watch out for Franco, he showed me an available (clean and ready) room, but told me that if I wanted to check in at that time I had to pay a FULL day service. As it was my first day and I wanted to save some money for other activities, I decided to have him store my luggages . As I went to the "business center" I saw some travel information, that was when I felt a body was behind me. The Little Franco was there, and he told me I had to leave, since I had not yet checked in, since I was yet not registered. He said the police would come and look at his registry book so he preferred to as me to leave. I told him, then in that case please let´s register. He said "sorry you haven´t paid, come back at 2pm." So I left while it was still dark.

The Location is not the best, when you walk out of the Hotel as I did at around 6:30am, it was still dark and there were lots of people starring. After walking to 4 blocks to Av. 9 de Mayo, it was pretty safe and then I started my city walk.

I came back at 2pm, and they told me to wait to see if the rooms were ready. I got rooms 302 (this one was available when I arrived) and 305 (the sheets were DIRTY so I had the change them).

The other Receptionist were very nice and helpful, specially Melina (the hotel´s GEM).

The day of the check out I had the terrible luck of leaving while Franco was working. I had to wait around 15 minutes for him to take a look at my room before he let me go. The taxi also had to wait for 15 minutes outside. Fortunately I had planned to arrive early to the airport.

Pros:
The "Caminito" Theme was nice, breakfast was ok, plentiful. Overall the hotel was clean. Price was ok.

Cons:
Service, FRANCO, SMALL ROOMS

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ayresowner, Propietario at Ayres Portenos Tango Suites, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Hello Mr Kallpa: First of all I would like to introduce myself: my name is Jesica Panetta and I'm the Ayres Porteños Tango Suite´s owner.
I felt really sad when I read your comment and I think deserve an answer because of this unfortunate situation you had at the hotel.
The only thing I can say is that the receptionist Franco is new in the staff.. they are trained for knowing everything about the policies hotel but I never thought that he could act this.

Of course you should have had your room at the time you came because it was ready!!!! I'm really sorry about this inconvenience.. believe me is not a usual problem, we are hard workers and we are always worried about our guests happiness. I understand It wasn't your case, and that is why I really apologize.

As a result of this, we are rewriting our recepcionist manuals and retraining our staff.

I hope you come back again, some day.. so we can show you the way we treat our guests.
Yours,