Piedras Suites
Mine Hotel Boutique(Buenos Aires)
$136
  • Breakfast included
Awwa Suites & Spa(Buenos Aires)
$89
  • Pool
NH Buenos Aires City(Buenos Aires)(Great Value!)
$159
$105
$126
$107
  • Breakfast included
Alvear Palace Hotel(Buenos Aires)
$396
$309
  • Pool
Hilton Buenos Aires(Buenos Aires)
$332
$244
  • Restaurant
Hotel Madero(Buenos Aires)
$194
Travelocity
  • Pool
Circus Hostel & Hotel(Buenos Aires)(Great Value!)
$35
$33
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very nice place, clean and cool, new furniture and pretty nice design. Our room it was large, very bright. The staff are very kindly, and San Telmo is one of the best area where to stay in Buenos Aires, with many good restaurants and milonga.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This "hotel" is actually a building with apartments. Our apartment had a bathroom and open kitchen solution with a livingroom, and a mezzanin with beds and another bedroom. The location is in a nice area with walking distance to restaurants and shopping area. It is cleaned and there are a 24 hour service desk. I would book this again if I go back to BA.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I elected to stay at Piedras Suites in San Telmo on the recommendation of Silvia at Buenos Aires Habitat. I had been in Palermo for two nights and wanted to see another part of the city.

I should have known by the rules that I was getting myself into a trap. First, there is a $35 fee paid to the agency, payments must be made in cash in US dollars, and there are no refunds regardless of length of stay. Nonetheless, friends had used the service two years before and had had no problems.

I was later to find that if I had been able to pay in pesos, I would have saved as much as 23% on the rental. Why? Because one can use currency exchange outside the bank and get 6.1 pesos to the dollar instead of the 4.65 the hotel offers.

The hotel will now take the dollars and exchange them for the higher rate if they need pesos. Somehow the Argentine government limits the amount of money a hotel can exchange.

Unfortunately, the Patriot Act limits the amount of funds one can withdraw from an ATM. But the hotel was willing to accept PayPal, but they surcharged me 5%.

At this point I should have simply walked away from this money trap. I later learned how stupid I was after booking 11 nights.

When I arrived, I was greeted by Carolina who showed me the room. It was a loft with the bed and bathroom upstairs. A small couch, table, and kitchenette with microwave was downstairs.

When I took off my shoes (I live in Asia.) and walked across the tile floor, my feet were black. The standards of cleanliness are much, much lower than Asia.

I decided to leave the hotel and walk around, and Carolina told me it would be safer to leave the key at the front desk. They lock the door when anyone enters or exits the hotel. (This should have tipped me off how unsafe the neighbourhood is.)

As I walked around the San Telmo, I noticed that the buildings are blanketed in graffiti, the sidewalks are slimy with dog feces, the people are not friendly (They don’t smile or look your way.), and the restaurants are grimy. It’s a dirty place.

When I returned to the hotel, Carolina could not find my key but assured me she would bring it to me when she did. I felt unsafe. Who had the key? Carolina gave me a spare key.

That night I was awakened and kept up by 15-20 men and women who loiter outside the hotel, shout and laugh loudly until very very early in the morning. One morning it went until 6:30 am when they knocked over trash cans.

The hotel itself is on a corner where buses pass loudly all night as well as maintenance trucks that clean gutters and sewer drains, again, very late at night/early in the morning.

I didn’t sleep well at all.

The bed itself was comfortable, but apparently some very obese people used it because there were large divots which one rolled into like a giant baked potato. The beds needed replacing. To think who might have been in the bed as I tried to sleep wasn’t comforting. I wound up sleeping during the day on the faux leather sofa when the hoodlums had gone home.

This is not what I expected from an exotic vacation in Buenos Aires.

Two days passed and much the same nonsense ensued.

I met Carolina in the elevator who told me that the hotel would hold me responsible for the lost key and charge me $30-40 USD. Not wanting to fight about it, I told her I knew she’d find it--after all, I still had 7 days left. But day after day she came to me and reminded me about the key. Finally I contacted the agency, told them the story, and confronted Carolina in the lobby. I told her that her constant accusation made me very uncomfortable, that I was paying a lot of money every day (roughly $100 per day) for a hotel room in which I could not sleep due to noise from the pack of loiterers downstairs under my balcony, and the general unsanitary nature of the place. (The maid “cleans” the room once a week. She didn’t change the sheets or towels for me. She just pulled them up on the bed. And the floor was, once again, dirty.)

This did not deter Carolina. Her unprofessional arrogance and inability to trust the guest made me realise that perhaps I was being scammed about the key. Maybe she planned to pocket the 30-40 USD and “find” the key when I had checked out.

Finally she agreed--after much prompting from me--not to bring it up again. But I was told the next day that I would not get any more bottled water. That the bottled water was a “courtesy” and each guest was entitled to only one bottle.

At this point I had had it. I packed my bags and left this place with 3-4 days still paid.

When I checked out, Carolina had the room checked and let me know that everything was in order. I asked for a receipt explaining that I didn’t want to find any extra charged on my AmEx. (They take the AmEx as a security deposit.) She refused to give me a written receipt. This is the first time I had not received a written receipt, and I travel frequently.

I would not be quick to believe the review on this site about the hotel. For real insight, read the five negative review and Carolina’s response. Customer service skills are nonexistent, and her arrogance is in evidence. Stay at Piedras Suites, and you’ll experience all I’ve detailed first hand.

If you must come to Buenos Aires, stay at Palermitano in Palermo. It’s safer, quieter--though food is more expensive. And the hotel is cheaper...you can book one night at a time, too, and leave if you don’t like it.

I shall be happy to amend this review if Carolina apologises to me for her unprofessional behaviour and arrogant attitude and if Silvia at Buenos Aires Habitat refunds the last three days of my rental.

The entire experience was not only expensive but completely unacceptable.

But the weather was nice.

Room Tip: Avoid this nasty place at all costs. The city is rife with scams, pickpockets, government corruption, and an arrogant, tired European attitude. It feels as if they moved Europe to Tijuana, but Tijuana is better and cheaper than this place.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Chimp_Baxter
Piedras S, Director de Recepción at Piedras Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of Piedras Suites with Trip Advisor community. I would like to apologize for any bad experiences you may have had. After reading your review, there are a few different aspects of your review that I would like to make comments.

Lost Key: I apologize if you felt uncomfortable when we discussed the missing key. A lost key is never a fun topic to discuss for anyone. Despite the situation of not knowing what had happened to the key, we decided not to charge you for the expense of replacing the electrical card and door key. You should reconsider your impoliteness when suggesting that I intended to charge you to keep the money! I have a job that I like very much and take very seriously. I am an honest professional and I do not have any reason to do that. This accusation from your part reflects your way of handling differences in a very unkind manner.

Reservation and Payment: You made your reservation for Piedras Suites through a temporary apartment rental agency. All the arrangements for your booking with us, including payment in full for your reservation was through them. All fees paid, including the use of PayPal is part of their business (Piedras Suites does not accept PayPal). You chose to agree to the terms of the agency and use their services. Moreover, Piedras Suites made an exception when accepting your credit card as guarantee for your reservation since the rental agreement through the agency establishes a fixed amount as a deposit that would normally be paid in cash.
Since you are a seasoned traveler, I am sure you already know that if you pay for your reservation in full to a third party, that third party provides you with a receipt and not the place that you stay. You had no additional charges with us so we did not have a receipt to provide you.
Regarding the exchange rate, Piedras Suites uses the official rate that is determined by the Argentine government. At the time of your stay, this rate was 4.65 pesos to the dollar. The higher rate that you mention is not available at any bank, atm or legitimate currency exchange. You are writing of a black market exchange rate that may or may not be a safe way to obtain the local currency, pesos (and is available only if you have USD cash for exchange).

Suite and Service: your description of the suite and your references to the housekeeping service do not reflect the product that we strive to deliver. Our Suites have a complete Kitchen equipped with electric kitchen stoves, microwave, coffee maker, juice maker, fridge with freezer, cooking utensils and china for four guests. The room is furnished with a big sofa bed in the living area with two comfortable mattresses, a table for four people, king bed, and 32” LCD TV. While many hotels provide a complimentary bottle of water (like us), I cannot think of a single hotel that provides unlimited bottles of water free of charge to guests. The building construction and all furniture purchased were new in 2009. Each suite is thoroughly cleaned after each guests stay. Regarding the frequency of maid service, the agreement you made with the agency implied cleaning your room twice a week and that is what we have done. The sheets were changed every time the maids cleaned your room and if you had found it necessary to have your room cleaned an extra time, you should have inquired about that with the Front Desk. We could have arranged to have your room cleaned more often during your stay.

San Telmo neighborhood - Location: You are complaining about the neighborhood, but at the same time you asked the agency for an apartment here because you did not wish to stay in Palermo any longer. San Telmo is the historical area of the city of Buenos Aires, the bohemian and artistic district chosen by those who enjoy being in contact with the cultural life, tango and particular architectural features of its streets and buildings. The graffiti’s are expressions of art and you can find them everywhere throughout the city, there is even a special city tour that guides through the various works of art. It is a matter of taste and you might not like them, but that does not mean that many others do not enjoy them.
Yes, we keep our door locked 24 hours a day. This does not mean that the neighborhood in unsafe, we just prefer to make sure that our guests and visitors remain safe. Almost every small hotel and many businesses in the city keep their doors locked. You will not just find this in San Telmo, but also in other main districts in the city as well. We pride ourselves on keeping our guests safe.

Suite and Noise: the staff at the front desk did not know that you were facing inconveniences to rest at night because of street noises. You should have communicated this to us. The suites have double-pane glass windows for sound and climate insulation, but if despite this, you were not happy we gladly would have offered to change your room, had we learned about it.

Finally, upon check out you requested a written statement confirming that everything was all right in the room and you also asked for a receipt for what you have paid for the reservation. We do not provide a written statement or receipt when guests check out and there are no additional charges, we check the room together and if there is a problem we deal with it in person (as was the process when you checked out). We do not make sneaky charges behind your back, that is not how we run our business. As explained earlier in this reply, the agency can only provide a receipt to you. When you were checking out I picked up the phone to ask them to send the receipt by e-mail in order to give it to you and you said you were leaving in that same moment and did not wish to wait nor even talk with the agency about the issue.

In closing, I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. However, I do not feel you need to publicly extort me for an apology. As you can see from our numerous excellent reviews with TripAdvisor, we truly strive for an experience that exceeds our guests’ expectations. We deeply regret that you feel like we did not provide this to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further inquiry; we will be pleased to assist you.

Best regards

Carolina Vanoli

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Piedras Suites in July, 2011.

Until now, it's been the best place we've ever stayed in South America!

All staff spoke very good English and they were willing to help you anytime.

Located on Piedras, it only took 10min to San Telmo markets, Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada and Calle Florida.
Actually we even walked back to the hotel from La Boca!

This is like your home in Buenos Aires. We would definitely go back!:)

Room Tip: Some people complain about the noise, but our room "G" was super quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HELENIZED
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The room was very clean and large and had two bathrooms which is good for family. The location is perfect, basically you can reach most of places with Taxis. The staffs were very kind and spoke english very well. Very satisfied and strongly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple