“Outstanding!”

Ranked #139 of 257 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Salem, Massachusetts
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

In typical fashion, adding an element of surprise, our accommodations in Buenos Aires were booked "sight unseen". The marble entryway looked like a fancy apartment building so we hesitated briefly before ringing the buzzer labeled "reception", afraid it was someone's private home. I had barely removed my finger when the smiling inn keeper appeared in the doorway welcoming us to Los Patios de Montserrat. Graham, originally from New York, and his Argentine artist wife Brenda have owned and operated the stately 19th century home as a bed and breakfast since they purchased the building in 2009.

We took the elevator up two floors, and were enveloped by a beautiful natural light, which entered the space through skylights and an open courtyard. A nice, refreshing breeze came from the ballroom, where the original solid wood, floor-to-ceiling double doors were wide open, letting the warm, dry summer air of Buenos Aires seep in. Eight sets of simple wooden chairs and tables dressed in blue cloths hugged the wall by the open double-doors, the openings secured by rod-iron banisters. A small metal statue of a peeing dog kept a door from slamming shut. I was completely consumed, wishing the floor and walls could tell me all the stories and secrets they held.

Brought back to reality, we were shown to room number fourteen, which was furnished with a beautiful, simple bed flanked by wooden bedside tables. There was an antique dresser for our clothes, and the light fixtures all had energy efficient light bulbs (provided through an exchange program sponsored by the manufacturer). The toilet, separated from the rest of the room by a door, shared ceiling space with the adjacent, shared bath for "damas", an ingenious way to use space and add a private bathroom, which posed no problem to us at all as the "damas" had very little, if any traffic during our stay. The toilet door was framed by bricks; otherwise our room was made of stucco and ceramic tile. The shower head was modern and the water pressure fantastic - wonderful after the experience in Montevideo where a moderate rain shower would have been more effective than was the shower at the hostel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Araucaria09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at Los Patios at the beginning of my trip in November and again at their new location just before Christmas. I enjoyed their previous location but their new place is an upgrade. Its close to everything and the building is stunning.

I really felt like I was staying in the home of some aristocratic family from the last century. The rooms and bathrooms were big clean and Brenda and Graham really looked out for me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New Zealand
Reviewed November 25, 2012

i felt a little miss lead by there advertising of hotel

1 bar, but there was not
2 no drinks for sale
3 lounge food dose not exist
4 enjoy the internet in the comfort of your room, didnt work in my room

Room Tip: really large rooms but mine had a sky-lite in the ceiling so would wake up earlier than expected al...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank typingtuna
PatiosMontserrat, Co-owner at Los Patios de Montserrat, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Los Patios de Montserrat is a Bed&Breakfast offering a great location, a warm, inviting stay and a very affordable price.
The internet is available in all rooms - any problems with connections we are always available to help.
We do have drinks for sale and a nice lounge to enjoy them. No where should it be advertised we provide food other than breakfast.
Unfortunately the guest was probably more interested in a standard hotel stay but its good to have an opportunity to clarify who we are. For those travelers searching for a classic Buenos Aires building and a warm friendly environment for your stay - you'd do well to reserve with us!
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's located in a place where it's easier to get to most tourist places. The rooms are big and comfortable - not fancy but clean and fresh. The hotel is in an old refurbished mansion. The only down side for me is to use a shared bathroom - even though it was always clean. :) The owners are very pleasant and polite!

• Stayed August 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My first days in Buenos Aires were spent at Los Patios de Monserrat. It was a good choice as I the staff were super helpful and the location excellent. I was off to a good start with their help. Rooms were comfortable and and roomy.

Room Tip: I chose a queen with shared bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had a great experience at this cute bed and breakfast. This was my 3rd trip to Argentina and having stayed with locals on my first 2 trips I was a bit hesitant to stay in just any hotel. Los Patios made me feel just as at home as I had on my previous trips. It is in the heart of the city and you can walk to many attractions. Great rates and an authentic Argentinian experience make this a perfect place to call home during your stay in Buenos Aires. Remember this is a bed and breakfast, not a traditional hotel, so make sure to present any questions you may have regarding property policies before booking a room. The owners, Graham and Brenda, are very nice and treat you like house guests, not just another traveler.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Danielle V
San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My experience with the staff was very positive until our last encounter, which left a very bad taste in my mouth. I was scheduled to meet my friends at the hotel, but arrived 30 minutes early so I buzzed the intercom to be let in (you have to do this every time you enter the building and show yourself on camera), but they wouldn't let me back into the hotel to wait because I had already checked out - even though they still had all of our luggage! I consider myself a guest at a hotel at least until I pick up my luggage, and have never been denied entry to a hotel for such a petty reason. They also wouldn't let me into the building to book a room, but made me go back to my computer and make a reservation online before I could enter. I felt like this was a bit rude, but I booked anyway because no other rooms were available in B.A. I appreciate security at a hotel, but was shocked to no longer be treated as a paying customer after I checked out a few hours before. I certainly won't be a paying customer there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ruhlnlkvnjioa
PatiosMontserrat, Owner at Los Patios de Montserrat, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Ashley,
I believe you would have preferred enjoying our 2nd floor Patios to our main lobby, but please don’t misinform the traveling community - Of course we let you in to wait for your friends, use the Wi-Fi and organize your suitcases. Our lobby is fully functional and comfortable. What was simply the case, is you wished to hangout on the second floor where the guest rooms are located. But thanks to you – this is an opportunity to inform guests about the services we do provide for those guests with later connections:
For many of our guests who has a flight or other connection later than our 11AM check-out time we provide several flexible options including half-day room rates (when available) and a “spa rate” for those who simply need Los Patios a little longer to relax, take a shower, have a coffee, watch a bit of TV, whatever.
As we remember you (like many of our guests) passed as much time in the patios as you did outside the B&B. Its a shame - as you simply asked us to hold your bags which we gracefully do as a courtesy.