“Memorable experience”
Review of Caballos A La Par

Caballos A La Par
More attraction details
Owner description: Just 30 minutes away from Buenos Aires city, you can enjoy yourself horseback riding, learning and having fun. At unique and amazing Forest Reserve, you can be in touch with nature riding throughout thousands of acres of a paradisiacal landscape. All our activities and services are 100% EXCLUSIVE, PERSONALIZED AND TAILOR-MADE. Caballos A La Par is a Horseback Riding Stables and an Equestrian Training Centre whose main objective is to help you develop your riding skills and confidence (regardless of level from absolute beginners to the more proficient/advanced). Only the owners (who are also the instructors) will ride free "side by side" (means in spanish "A La Par") alone with you, your family or your group of friends. We don't ride on trails and the horses don't follow each other !!!. Our place also have a nice swimming pool and jacuzzi. We invite you to share this exciting adventure with Caballos "A La Par", a Different, Unique and Rewarding Experience. Caballos A La Par provides transportation from Buenos Aires and back and is open everyday of the week.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Memorable experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

First time on a horse and it was an amazing experience! I had no knowledge on horseback riding before but by the end of a half-day session, I had enough confidence to even canter. Isabelle, the horse I rode was beautiful and so well trained! Thanks to Adrian and Miriam for making my first lesson so enjoyable!

Tampa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“HOT CHOCOLATE AND PASTRIES. OMG!!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you really like horses, and you really like riding horses, then this is the place for you. The horses are beautiful, the ranch is beautiful, the countryside is beautiful, the guides are beautiful,… you get it. Everything is beautiful!!! Yes, everything most certainly is.

Caballos a la Par really lives up to its name, as the riding experience that you get is really side by side instruction, not your typical trail ride where the guide rides in-front of the group, and you are left to ride behind in the back. This is more of a 4 hour personal lesson on either teaching you from the ground up how to ride your horse confidently and safely, or improving upon the riding skills you already have. It’s about making you the best rider you can be within the limited amount of time that you spend there. It’s absolutely the best experience you will ever have if you are willing to learn and to put the effort into improving your skills when you show up to the Caballos ranch.

We found out about this horseback riding experience along with a few others right here on TripAdvisor. So hopefully, my review will be informative and helpful to you as well. Since my wife and I both enjoy going horseback riding, we usually try to find somewhere that we can ride in each country we visit. Back home we try to go riding a few times each year. After reading a number of reviews about Caballos a la Par on TripAdvisor – both what others felt was good and bad about it – we decided that we would make a reservation.

Very important: When travelling to Buenos Aires, try to have a cell phone that can browse the web, and send and receive emails. Almost, every attraction, or event that you can attend in this fine city can be reserved online. Email is also one of the most convenient ways to communicate, and be kept in the loop on event rescheduling, etc.

After discovering Caballos a la Par on TripAdvisor, we clicked on the email link at the top of the page and were connected with Miriam. We confirmed our reservation and times via email. Miriam also asked to know how much each of us weighed, and what our prior riding experiences were, so that she could properly tailor the horses and the day’s activities for both of us. They would send a car to meet us near the center of town, and we would then travel to the ranch from there. We corresponded with Miriam a few more times before the event during which she informed us that Hector – a very personable and talkative gentleman – would be picking us up.

On the day of the ride, we were to meet Hector at the intersection of San Juan y Lima at about 2pm. We left our hotel in Recoleta AN HOUR before our meet time thinking that we would get there early, relax and check out the café. O! M! G! The amount of traffic between our hotel and the meet point was un… be… lievable! It took us an hour and a half to travel 20 blocks by taxi. I think we could have gotten there faster if we had walked. I was so afraid that Hector was going to leave us behind since we were going to be late, but Hector was there waiting oh so patiently for us right at the meet point. Car on the sidewalk. Buenos Aires style.

Some quick introductions all around, and we were off to the campo only about 30 minutes or so outside of the city.

The drive out to the ranch was quick and smooth – well, smooth until we got to the road that turns off the main causeway, and actually takes you to the ranch itself. I think we spent a good 5 minutes just rocking back and forth, back and forth in the car on the rickety dirt pathway that takes you to the ranch entrance. Once there, however, as the car turns left and enters through the front gates of the ranch, we were greeted by lush plains, and three of the most beautiful and well taken horses we had ever seen standing off to the left, saddled and ready to go.

But first,… let’s get to know each other a little bit. :-)

After we got out of the car, we were greeted by Adrian. He was the owner of the ranch and would also be our riding instructor for the day. Usually, our experiences with many of the riding “places” that we go to the beginning or introduction is a very simple affair. We would usually show up, there would be other riders there as well. There would be some very cursory instructions on how to turn the horse left or right, and then we would set off. All in a large group, one behind the other.

Today however, we were in for a very nice surprise.

What we came to find out, is that each ride is very customized, and also very personal. You, or your party, will be the only ones on the ride with your instructor(s).

Adrian greeted us, and took us inside where we all then sat down for some maté. Maté is a traditional Argentinian drink, that is prepared by steeping dried leaves in hot water. We talked for a bit while we drank mate together, discussing what our previous riding experiences were, and what our goals were for the day. I shared that I have always felt uneasy riding a horse while it was trotting. Walking I’m okay, but once the horse starts trotting, then I’m all over the place, and I just can’t seem to figure out what I’m supposed to do to get into a good rhythm with the horse. It was then that Adrian said that, not only is he going to help us with that, but by the end of the day we would be cantering without holding onto the reins.

What?!!! Yep. That’s what he said.

And, for sure I didn’t believe him, but we finished up our last round of mate, and off we went. Well not before we put on some chaps, and took some pics. Then, off we went. To the horses.

It was a bit cold that day. Not unusual for winter I guess, but we hadn’t expected it to be so cloudy and windy this late in the day, so Adrian got us some coats and vests he had available before we set out on our ride.

My wife was first. Adrian introduced her to her horse. Had her get on, and adjusted the stirrups and saddle. It was freezing, but I watched attentively as Adrian led her around atop her horse, and explained a few commands and such to her.

I was next and because the hiking boots I was wearing were kind of big, we walked back to the stables to get some larger stirrups for me. Once I was on top and getting acquainted with my horse, trying to get it to walk gracefully. Well, the horse already knows how to walk. I’m the one that doesn’t know how to ride properly. Sure enough, my horse started trotting a little, and I couldn’t figure out how to keep in rhythm, or if there even was a rhythm. Ha-Ha. It was at this point Adrian pointed out what I was doing to my wife and said: “¡A ver! You see how he’s riding the horse now. Remember this moment, and you’re going to see. By the end of the day, you’re going to see a BIG difference. I promise you.” Me, I still didn’t believe it. We walked around in the clearing in-front of the stables for a few more minutes and then set off into the forest.

The rest of the day’s riding, all five(5) hours of it was filled with practice, and learning. Along wide open plains of grass, between trees and bushes in the forest. Coming upon amazing wildlife – like the largest rabbit/hare I’ve ever seen (as big as a dog, and almost as big as the pack of dogs that were chasing it).

There is so much more to tell from this experience. From finally learning how, to post properly while the horse is trotting, learning how to properly control the speed of our horses. Cantering, and… yes, cantering without hands! I couldn’t believe it either, but I have the video to prove it.

I think one of the best moments for me on the ride was when Adrian prompted us to go off and practice what we had learned, and I ended up off, and alone in the forest, just me and my horse Lindo. I enjoyed that stolen moment of peacefulness a lot, but the slow sunset ride back to the ranch, which then turned into a moonlight ride was really enjoyable as well.

Back at the ranch we were introduced to the entire family, and the entire family of horses as well. The day wasn’t over yet though as we all sat down for freshly made hot chocolate (a big thick bar of dark chocolate melted into hot milk on the stove, can you say de-li-cious!), and a wide array of pastries. It was a very yummy and delightful end to a very relaxing and fulfilling day.

We talked for a long while, while drinking chocolate by the fireplace. It was all good fun, and we didn’t end up departing until well after 9pm.

My wife and I left the ranch that night, with the feeling that we had just left our long lost extended family – the nice ones that you want to hang out with on vacation days. Wishing that, and wanting to go back to the ranch so that we could ride some more, but we were soooooooo sore. My butt, and my back. Oh my gosh. I really wish I could have gone back and spent some more time there, but my body definitely prevented it.

We left there very, very, very satisfied. So satisfied in fact, that we plan to take another trip back to Argentina, just so that we can ride at Caballos a la Par with Adrian again.

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Miguelit077
Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“THE BEST HORSE BACK RIDING EXPERIENCE IN THE WORLD”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Some people say that the connection between a horse and its rider is magical and I never understood that concept until my experience at Caballos A La Par. My husband and I have ridden before but we were not properly instructed on the different styles and techniques. We arrived at the Ranch and were welcomed by Adrian and his dogs. He is a charming young man, whose love for horses is evident from the first few words he had with us. The horseback riding experience began with Adrian giving us a brief description of his Ranch and a nice cup of mate. He then asked questions about our riding skills and what we wanted accomplish on the ride.

We began riding towards the park close to his ranch. Adrian began explaining the different ways to ride. We began walking our horses, and then cantering. The day was already chilly but as we began practicing we forgot about the cold and enjoyed the ride. We were having so much fun we completely forgot about the time and just focused on the horses and how much we were enjoying ourselves. Four hours passed and we didn’t even noticed until the sun began to set and the golden rays began dancing through the trees; then we knew it was time to return to the ranch.

I had never enjoyed riding as much as I did at Caballos A La Par. This was the most amazing experience I have ever had riding.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Annyf2013
Issy-les-Moulineaux, Ile-de-France, France
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Time for pleasure”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've been in many countries doing horse riding (mongolia, USA, India, ...) and then came my first experience in Argentina. Just perfect ! Everyone is nice and Adrian's horses are the best ones I've ever drive. He's got the just feeling for training his horses and you just feel his love for them by mounting them. Just go and share this wonderful experience with Adrian. Perharps will you meet Indio (the gentle Criollo) or Sheik (the spice arabian) I've been glad to mount. Have a marvellous day in Argentina !

Hessen
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Gorgeous time with nice people and animals!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I visited Caballos a la par last Saturday. Adrian is a great teacher, the place is beautiful and the horses are in great shape, as well as all the equipment.

2 Thank AnnaAlexandra