“Great Hostel, Great Room, A Little Removed From Center”

Garden House Hostel
South America
“Great Hostel, Great Room, A Little Removed From Center”
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The hostel is great. Our room was clean, the staff was extremely helpful and the common areas were comfortable and clean. It was a bit further from the center of San Telmo than expected though.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
buenos aires, argentina
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed here with a friend during the winter and had a really lovely time. The rooms were comfortable and cozy, the hostel's not too big and it's very "homely." With nice terrace, it was a good place to meet people and an ideal spot to base yourself in Buenos Aires, with restaurants and shops nearby. And access to the downtown was very handy. The manager was also very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Otago
Reviewed October 23, 2007

It was all good.

Right from when the arranged pickup from the airport was standing there with my name on a card. The staff were all fluent in English and very nice.

I stayed 4 nights. I had a clean and nice smelling double room to myself with a shared bathroom (with two other rooms). Nothing flash but good value at US19 per night. I did have access to a shared courtyard with chairs and a hammock. (see pic).

The shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water with towels supplied. The bathroom was cleaned several times a day.

On the Sunday night we had a bbq - all we could eat (incl some wine and beer) for 30 pesos on the 2nd floor open terrace. Friends of one of the staff came over and played some folk music and had CDs for sale. Bought one and am listening now.

Breakfast (argentina style) included each day.

Library was well stocked with EVERY possible guide book for Argentina and they were happy for me to borrow one of the books to walk around the streets with. Staff had good advice about getting around and what to do.

Huge lounge to hang out in but I was never really there - too much to see and do. Free internet and fast connection.

Don't let the neighbourhood put you off. It was less than 2 minutes walk to the nearest tube stop but I usually walked into down town. 5 mins to 9 July and then 20 min walk to the Obelisk. All very safe and pleasant to walk along. But it was bloody hot so make sure you take a water bottle (tap water OK to drink).

This was much better value for money than other places I stayed at in Argentina. It is a small friendly place that I would be happy to go back to with my whole family (2 young children).

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — No major dislikes. Location slightly seedy but still safe.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
world
Reviewed June 17, 2006

This is a nice hostel and a great value. That's not the most important part thought. The people that run this place are simply incredible. Half of having a great time in Buenos Aires is getting plugged into the local scene. They really go out of their way to make that happen. For me, that kind of experience is priceless. The atmosphere also encourage guests to get to know each other - this isn't a huge hostle with 100s of guests and the host go out of their way to make space for meeting up.

There's nothing like being able to land in Buenos Aires and hit a party, a great club or a concert your first night!

Stayed January 2006
2 Thank prere
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 17, 2006

I was going to stay several nights here, but I ended up not liking the place. It won an award in one of the Buenos Aires newspapers for being the best hostel in town, so I booked it. The prices are low, but it's just not very nice. Most of the windows face a busy street, so you can't have the windows open at night if you want to sleep. I was there in summer, so I was sweltering in my bed as there is no air conditioning. There are 2 private rooms and the rest are bunk beds for sharing with other travelers. The bathroom really needed to be re-done. The hosts were very nice and I wish I had liked it better here. There are better choices.

web site ---- for address and phone info

3 Thank maynard7
Gardenadmin, Manager at Garden House Hostel, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
This is a very unusual review to our hostel. Our building features 8 PRIVATE ROOMS and 2 SHARED DORMS. Each one has a window, but only 2 of the private rooms has a window facing to the street. We do have some air conditioned rooms but they have a different price because they mean an additional cost for us. However, every room has a ceiling fan and a heater and internet service and a very plentiful breakfast are included on the price.
Our staff is a very caring group of people who would change anybody's room if the guest is not comfortable or satisfyed with its own and our clean rooms and bathrooms are usually mentioned in other reviews.