“We went 3 times!”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We rented a loft for two weeks on Caseros street just a couple blocks down from the restaurant. Consequently we ate our way through many of the restaurants in our edge of San Telmo neighborhood. There are 4 good ones in one block! A happening place. We liked Caseros the most. We returned when friends came to visit. Food was excellent. A smallish menu, but everything we tried was well executed. Homemade bread, which others have mentioned, was fabulous. Have forgotten some of the entrees we had, but merluzon stands out as my first - on a bed of sauteed fennel. Couldn't identify taste initially, which engendered a great English/Spanish conversation among staff and us regarding "fennel." Service we had each time was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable in that way. Of course we often had our noses pressed at their window at their 8:30 opening time - only to be waived off until staff finished their dinner. Space is bright and airy - very high ceilings, big windows onto street - so if you're looking for dark and cozy this is not your place. Think they also serve outside (?)
But that was our problem . . .

Reviewed February 1, 2013

First I have to state that our party of four went with a local guide.. He recommended it and we took him there. He knew some of the staff so service was good. The food was very tasty. Wonderful homemade breads on the table, good size starters with excellent flavours. My husband and I shared the main course of Argentina fish.. Nicely presented and great taste. The restaurant prides themselves on sourcing local foods, including beef, rabbit, lamb.
Tried some sweetbreads for the first time.A big thing in Argentina. Surprised myself as to the great nonfat taste.
Low key ambience with attentive but not "in your face" service.
The restaurant is located "off the tourist track" so mostly locals eating there. In a safe part of town.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The service at Caseros was exceptional. We speak limited Spanish and couldn't understand what something on the menu was so our waitress mimed "lamb" for us. She did a great impression of "shrimp" just to humour us. My wife and I shared the risotto with roast mushrooms and it was fantastic. I had ravioli with shrimp and my wife had the salmon on greens. Both were excellent.
You should understand that we're from the salmon capital of Canada, Vancouver, so it takes a great deal to impress us. This was impressive. I would highly recommend making the journey to Caseros.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Service was efficient, and certainly one of the fastest deliveries in buenos aires, but it is as if all the staff had spent the afternoon at a funeral...they were barely pleasant...pleasant enough I supposes but a little smile and a slightly better vibe would have increased the pleasure factor...it wasn't horrible but could have been so much better...the place is charming...the food presentation top notch.
When given the credit card they swiped it and said "cancelled" but when I went to the desk and asked them to insert the card chip side first, of course it worked! They didn't handle that very well.
Not sure if I would go back or not. My friends wouldn't. Delicious but we want a nice evening.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you are in San Telmo I would recommend getting away from the tourist trap of plaza dorrego and hitting this spot. A very simple, elegant spot with the best prices in town. For lunch they serve two choices one always seems to be chicken and the other fish or beef. Meals are nicely done and our bill for two was 120 ar. Felt like we were in Europe.