“Great food, small, small portions”
Review of Astrid y Gaston - CLOSED

Astrid y Gaston
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I went to the restaurant during the BA Food Week April 15-22, 2013. There was a special promotion. We didn´t know that it was more of a tasting that actual food. So the portions were very small, it seems that they were trying to save money!!!. Food was very well prepared. Service was very good. We paid 50us$ per person at the official rate or 30us$ at the unofficial rate. At 50 dollars is expensive at 30 is more ok.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great value for money at Astrid y Gaston duing BA Food Week April 15-22. For 99 pesos (US420 or less depending on the exchange rate used) we had a three course lunch of ceviche, linguado and dessert. The food was delicately prepared, fresh and nicely presented. Great pisco sour too, but that was extra.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I found this experience to be somewhat disappointing. While the food was well presented and offered new combinations of flavors, I found that the best part of the meal was the appetizers. We ordered causas....which were heavy on the potatoes and skimpy on the flavourful toppings...stuffed potatoes, which were very good and civichi which was out of this world. (According to my companions who ordered it). The main course was intriguing as it offered lamb served three ways...but it was served luke-warm after a very long wait. The pork dish was reportedly very good...again according to my dinner companions. The dessert disappointed...a lemon pie interpretation...with merangue that was simply horrible with a "meaty" flavour.

The restaurant setting is very nice...in an older home...with a very nice modern and different decor.

Overall I found the food inconsistent, the service slow, and the prices high. That said....the food did offer flavours that are not often found in Argentinean cuisine...so it was a nice change from that perspective...

Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you are in BA and want fish one evening, go to this place in Palermo. The food is excellent and the restaurant very nice with good service.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went with my mom (visiting from out of town--I work in Bs As). We arrived early and were promptly seated upstairs, where it was very warm. We ordered the ceviche classico to start. Fairly average ceviche for Bs As and I have had much better at the restaurant called "Ceviche" or at Francesco. The fish pieces were big and were a bit warm, which was weird. They looked to have just been placed into the lime sauce right before we got it and they lacked any real flavor.

My glass of wine arrived. It couldn't have been more than 1/8th of a bottle. Smallest pour of wine imaginable. When I ordered my second glass, I asked if it could be an actual full glass this time. The waiter agreed and brought me out even less. This is the type of restaurant you are dealing with here--they are going to try to extract every peso they can from you. I should have just sent the first glass back, but my bad.

My mom had sole on green pea "risotto." Nice idea, but the risotto was poor and the fish was bland. Presentation was lovely, however. I had the salmon that had a sesame crust and a teriyaki type glaze with a "canneloni" that was a piece of sheet pasta filled with cream cheese, walnuts, and dried fruit. The salmon was raw in the middle. I know how to cook fish and this was not cooked right.

It took 20 minutes to pay the check at the end, too. The waiter refused to make eye contact so I eventually had to get the manager's attention. When I asked for the receipt, the bill went up 30 pesos (I'm guessing because of tax, but still strange). I pointed it out to her, but she said it had been a printing error on the original receipt (the one that doesn't require them to pay tax).

So that's my story about this place. In fairness, the ambience is quite nice and the food is beautifully presented. But the nickel-and-dime attitude, poor service, and overrated seafood makes this one to skip. My neighborhood parilla does better salmon and they pour a nice glass of wine :)

2  Thank calben007