“Inpersonal, too busy, noisy/party place.”

Hostel Suites Florida
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I choosed a HOSTEL on purpose for my first day in Buenos Aires because I thought I will get more information on trips, what to do etc. I was very wrong. This place was TOO BUSY, no one had time for me, I couldn´t even ask the basic questions. There was a line at the reception and I agree that it felt like a factory of tourists!

My dormitory was on the 9th floor. The room was ok but had a bad view into the other wall. Bathroom was clean and nice.

But at night this place changed into a crazy - noisy - party place, people screaming, running on the corridors, smoking, slapping doors - the staff did not care.

I didn´t like it at all!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank iliveinmexico

Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a single traveller this was a great hostel. The location is on a closed street with lots of food and shopping. Free WIFI plus computers if you don't have a device. Staff were really friendly.
Rooms were basic but with air conditioning and private bathroom. First time i stayed my room opened to the street which wasn't to bad, i could hear the money exchange guys for a while then the next time i stayed my room opened to the club which is in the basement which was a bit loud but it didn't really bother me. I enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kirri C
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This kind of hostel is just a nightmare to me, hundreds of American teenagers, noisy, room unpersonnalised and expensive. I don't even think the location is great because the centro of buenos aires is a pretty dead part, better stay in San telmo or recoleta. The hostel of HI in recoleta is very great and half the price for a double room.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I always stay at Hostel Suites Florida when I visit Buenos Aires. It is a big city hostel with a lot of people and movement. The location is excellent and walking distance to most attractions. There is a lot of construction happening in front of the hostel so when you book in ask for a room that is not facing the entrance. Staff are always helpful and friendly. The only complaint I have is that you are just a number even if you have visisted the hostel a couple of times. Rooms are spacious and cleaned daily. They have security lockers in the rooms. Breakfast is included in the price and they also offer free meals during the week but you need to buy your own drinks.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the entrance is more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nelmi
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Centrally located this largish hostel is OK - but nothing to write home about. When we stayed the main road outside was being pedestrianised so there was a lot of noise and dust - not the hotels fault I know but it did mar our stay. however the security was good and the staff friendly. This is a very busy hostel so the public areas were also very noisy.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Location: I think the location of this hostel is probably it's biggest asset, unfortunately at the moment it seems that most of the pedestrianised areas in central BA are undergoing major refurbishment works which blocked off large central sections of the roads and caused a lot of dust and disruption - not a great first impression and it became a daily annoyance when getting in and out of the hostel. I don't know how long the works will last for so you might want to check with the hostel in advance of booking.

Service: We had a really mixed bag when it came to service before and during our stay here. Staff who deserve a special mention: Macarena - works the travel agency desk and could not have been more helpful prior to our stay sorting out our onward bus journey. The correspondence was non-stop from us because we had a complicated plan and Macarena accommodated all of our needs, changes and neurotic double checking of details, she was a star! Barbara was also really helpful with changes to our booking before our arrival and was really prompt to respond to our email communication. Reception staff were mostly just average in terms of service quality. Not that friendly, occasionally rude and not particularly helpful. I did like that there is someone on the desk downstairs ensuring access is only given to residents - nice bit of extra security in a city location.

Rooms: We had a 4 bed private room with ensuite. It was ok in terms of size and cleanliness, the bathroom was fine. There were 4 lockers, varying in size but all adequate. These had latches so you could lock them with your own padlock but to be honest even with the padlock on I could have levered the door open and broken the lock off with a bit of limp celery. Having said that we didn't have any issues with security and nothing in our room was messed with. There was aircon in the room which was pretty decent and not too noisy.

Beds: Decent size bunks that look fairly solid and safe. Sadly the sheets just didn't stay on the mattress - not for any of the 4 of us on any of the 4 nights we stayed. I hate that, it basically just means it makes no difference how clean the sheets are, you end up sleeping directly on a dirty mattress anyway. Also after 1 uneventful nights sleep I was woken by a disturbing thud in the early hours of the second morning ... the top bunk, the one I was in, precariously positioned over my sleeping roommate, had just broken and was hanging down on one side. I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear that I carefully rolled over the side and managed not to crush my roommate in her sleep. So anyway, off I go to reception thinking ok so they might put me in a dorm tonight or they might move all of us to another room ....... No, its the weekend so we'll get the maintenance guy in if we can but he might not want to so if you get back tonight and its not fixed just put your mattress on the floor. Hmmmm, really?! So yeah, really. The maintenance guy didn't come in and I slept on a mattress on the floor for 2 nights. Not exactly what I paid for. BTW - I should mention that although I am not Kylie sized I am also not Hulk Hogan sized!

Amenities: So there is a bar downstairs, if you are staying in the hostel you get some money off food and drinks. They also have some decent offers on, there was a pizza and beer deal for the Superbowl when we were there which was quite a bargain. Other than that its not a great bar. The lifts are interesting - its a massive place, lots of floors so you'll end up in the lifts at some point. They get you there but you probably won't feel very safe! The doors don't always close properly, they don't get all the way level with the floor, they seem to work but they are just a bit crappy. There is no smoking area, no biggie but half the staff and half the residents smoke so everyone just clogs up the entrance way - this might not be a big deal usually but with the disruption on the street outside all the foot traffic is very cramped in and there is just not space, also there is no ashtray out there so theres ash and cigarette butts all over the place. There is wifi in the bar and the common area by reception. Its pretty slow but does the job. There is a kitchen which I didn't use so can't comment on. Not a lot of atmosphere in the shared areas.

Breakfast: Ok. Some fruit, tea, coffee, juice, bread, jam. Not really worth mentioning but it is free!

Overall, I've stayed in so much worse than this but it just wasn't a very positive experience. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone for more than a simple one or two night stop-over. Its not the kind of place you're going to meet a load of people and party, its not the kind of place where the staff make you feel at home. Its big and functional and feels safe. It has a pretty good location. Everything else is just average.

Oh we did get towels which I thought was a nice touch - not all hostels do that.

I'd have marked this lower overall if it wasn't for the exceptional service we got from Macarena.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank amimac80
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I went with my partner to stay a whole week there.

Well to start with the goods:
The breakfast was ok! Staff were very young and attentious.
Excellent localization! It is right on the center of buenos aires there are plenty of things to do on foot within 1 mile/1,6 km
(Puerto Madero, Plaza de Mayo, San Telmo, Calle Florida, Av. Santa Fe...)

The bad side:
Bed clothes were really dirt and after 4 days without changing, they simply put a cover on them! Really bad...

Elevators were just awful.. More than once I was unable to use them due to several problems including another floor with opened doors (very old elevator holds four people once)

Bathroom besides was apparently clean had a really bad smell to it..

My takeway:

If you are going to stay more than 3 days stay on another place. It is possible you find other better places for just a bit more money. You wont regret like I did with my choice!

1  Thank Jefjam