“Great boutique hotel in BsAs”

Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires
Ranked #156 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Reading some of the other reviews makes me think that people don't know what a boutique hotel is. This is a small, cozy hotel that is in a safe part of town. There are many young people who work there, and each and everyone of them is super-nice. They can arrange anything for you that you might need as a traveler, be it transportation, laundry, recommendations for places to eat, etc. The hotel is very close to Las Violetas (a must), all sorts of public transportation, supermarkets, etc. When we needed a safe, it was provided. If you are expecting a conventional hotel, this place is not for you. If you want a more integrated, personalized, boutique hotel experience, Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires would be a perfect choice, especially considering the reasonable rates.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2011

Boutique Raco-

I've travelled a lot, &  was quite surprised by my experience at Raco  in early Nov.,especially after it received so many positive Tripadvisor reviews. It makes me wonder who they really come from..

We (my wife &I) arrived early (about 10am) after a long flight). We were very tired,  &  able to check in about an hour later (very grateful). Raco is an historic building in a safe, & quiet neighborhood. Staff provided  maps & directions to subT etc...

We asked if they had a restaurant for breakfast while we waited for room to be made ready. Julian wanted to recommend something outside (should have listened), but said they also had Bkfst. downstairs...We went downstairs, & asked to see a menu. The girl (Virginia) told me they didn't have one...Hmmm.... I then asked what they charged for breakfast, and she looked somewhat confused/nervous, (no restaurant liscense maybe?), but after my wife also asked, she was able to provide a price in $US. She quoted US$10.00 for the "small" breakfast (assumed that was for 2). We were tired & accepted. She served toast, jam & coffee..We were charged US$20..That is a ridiculous price for that type of breakfast in BA!!! The girl (Virginia) was not a waitress, & seemed bothered about having to serve us at all. Attitude big time!! The room was clean, but small, & noisy with shower that leaked on floor. No room around sink for cosmetics, razor,toothbrushes etc. No  safe or refrigerator..Courtyard tables in front of room made for more noise, & chemical used to clean floor has a strong enough odor to make you sick..Our room was entered at least twice a day (only need to clean once). When I asked about changing US$, he told me, "Es un poco complicado", instead of volunteering to change a small amount (which he eventually did when I asked), and telling me it's a 15 min. SubT ride to downtown where there are many Casa Cambios. They seem to cater to infrequent travelers ,  that are afraid to plan anything without "help from staff", It felt kind of like an upmarket youth hostel..The worst was Julian (I think that was his name), making an unsolicited  comment on my choice of wine (as I sat in the courtyard drinking a glass ). Without being able to suggest a good one, he advised me to "spend at least 30 pesos, & it will be great!" Ignorant & rude  doesn't begin to describe!! As I write, I'm sipping an Incredible 2004 Malbec in Mendoza, that I paid $10 PESOS for (see photo). I do speak spanish & wife is Latina, but most Portenos will happily speak some English, & point you in the right direction. BA is generally safe. Argentinians are.. for the most part, honest, & very helpful people!!
Book a different "Boutique", or Suite , & don't get ripped off!!
If you must stay at Raco, book through an agent & go to "Las Violetas" for breakfast.  It's about 2 blocks away, & been around >125yrs.(please see their website) Enjoy a real  breakfast in a 1st class restaurant for 1/2 the price!! Try em  for lunch or dinner.. EXCELLENTE!!
We booked a "Superior Room" through Expedia for $120 TOTAL per night. If you book through Raco, it will cost you $120 + Vat @ 21%...You'll  get Bfst. included, but do the math, unless you want to pay $25.20 for" breakfast"!! The last thing was that my wife asked for ice. It never arrived...
Ok... I'm done!

• Stayed: November 2011
10  Thank MeesterTomas
JulianRomeo, Owner at Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are glad to know you appreciated the fact that our hotel is an historic building in a safe and calm neighborhood.

For our future guests, we would like to recommend the following:

If you book directly with us, you will get a better deal, as well as breakfast included.

In case of a reservation made through an online travel agency (such as Expedia, Booking), we can offer you several breakfast alternatives, at different prices. (If you compare our breakfast with the same options served at any café, you will realize our prices are actually much cheaper).

Your direct booking is also more convenient because of the next:

• We may arrange transfers from and to the airport, which avoids any complications at your arrival.
• We can help you organize your schedule, different tours around the city, as well as booking restaurants, shows, ferry tickets, football matches, polo, etc.
• You will be able to let us know of any preferences you might have regarding the rooms, for instance, type of bed, quietness, whether or not you want it to face the street or have a balcony, amenities, etc., in addition to any special requirements concerning your diet (whether you are vegetarian, lactose intolerant, diabetic, celiac).
• We may also assist you when it comes to exchanging money, giving you information about weather forecasts, festivals, etc.

All in all, we assure you the assistance will be much better if we are able to contact you directly and exchange emails or phone calls.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We just returned from a 8 day stay here at the Hotel Raco. We had a great time enhanced by the quality of the property and the graciousness of the staff. I definitely recommend this hotel and will surely return.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We were originally booked for a 7 night stay, however my girlfriend was hospitalized with a no-fly diagnosis so we had to cancel the first 2 nights, then subsequently our whole stay.

When we cancelled the first 2 nights, Julián (the owner & manager) gave us an exemption to the usual "cancel within 4 days and you have to pay the full amount" cancellation policy in light of our unusual circumstances. The second time, when it became apparent we wouldn't be able to make even the last 5 nights and we had to cancel, we didn't get the same exception (apparently it was high season). However, Julián did hold the 5 nights cancellation fee as a pre-payment for any future bookings, and offered us a free upgrade if we ever came back.

When we were finally able to fly again, we realised we would have a couple of days in BA, so we booked again for a few days later, using the pre-paid credit from the cancellation fee. Bravo to Julián for getting us a room on barely any notice, and not making us pay for it.

Even more impressive, we had a 5-6 hour red-eye flight over from Lima, and didn't have early-check in. Julián managed to get us a room 4 hours before standard check-in time (2pm, apparently). It wasn't the room we were originally going to get, but we were grateful for any place to collapse, so it was the right call to make.

One issue with the way this went down is that I felt like we weren't welcome to wait in the hotel lobby until our room became available, almost as if we were bringing the decor down by sitting around on the couch. Possibly the staff were just trying to give us something to do, but I felt like I was being shooed out of the hotel and it would have been nice if the staff had showed some empathy: I don't think anyone feels like sight-seeing in a foreign city with only 2 hours of airplane-quality sleep. To be fair, staff never said we weren't welcome, and this was just my impression.

We ended up staying here for 3 nights. Actual room itself was clean & decent.

Wifi is good quality and long range.

The 20 USD breakfast is quite nice though is mostly packaged foods (yoghurt in a container with the peely lid, fruit salad from a can). If you are healthy (which we weren't, most of the time), it is better to walk down to the street with the Subte (subway) station and walk north until you see a cafe / patisserie, which does a better breakfast for half the price. I was told that if you book with the hotel directly, the breakfast is included.

That reminds me, if you are 6 foot or taller, you will absolutely hate the breakfast tables: they seem to be designed for children because they are so low it's almost impossible to sit down at them without knocking the table and spilling something.

We stayed in a Deluxe room, and the only complaints I have about the room are that the hot water takes a while to kick in (10-15 minutes - run the (left) tap in the sink first - and that the whole bathroom tends to turn into a sauna because there was no ventilation.

A nice touch is that one time when we were in a rush to get dinner before a tango show (which the hotel can organise, by the way), we got pizza and reception set up a table, giving us plates, knives & forks, etc, without us even asking.

Room Tip: Better to not get a room on the ground floor (i.e. behind reception) as it gets quite noisy since br...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
JulianRomeo, Owner at Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Caspar, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

For our future guests, we would like to recommend the following:

Your direct booking is also more convenient because of the next:

Reviewed November 20, 2011

after a lot of research including trip advisor we stayed at Raco for five nights with a gap of three nights in between when we visited Mendoza. All of the staff were every bit as helpful and friendly both in the booking stage and while staying as all previous reviewers had commented. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was fine with the bathroom modern and functional with the small reservation that you were separated from the walkway to other bedrooms by a thin wall of obscure Glass & curtains.
breakfast was substantial, well presented and of high quality.
The location was not a problem with less than a 10 min walk to the subway and taxis readily available.

A great introduction to Argentina and BA in particular. We will certainly be back

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jkm135
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Since I was flying standby to Buenos Aires I didn't know until ten minutes before departure that I would make the flight. When I knew I was going to make the plane I went to Kayak.com and stumbled across the Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires. What a lucky find. I don't normally take the time to write reviews (although I read a lot of them) but my experience was so positive I figured the staff and hotel deserved it.

The price was reasonable, especially for Buenos Aires at $85 U.S. They even sent me an email message saying they would send a car for me when I landed in Buenos Aires at a saving compared to the best taxi fare offered at the airport.

The staff was fantastic spread over three shifts. They couldn't do enough for me and spoke great English. They set me up for a wonderful Argentinian steakhouse just three block from the hotel. They also recommended a fantastic evening Tango show which included a driver picking me up and dropping me off back at the hotel after the show.

This hotel has just 12 rooms. From the outside you would never know it was a hotel as it's located in a residential neighborhood of sorts. My single room was not large but had 15 foot ceilings. The entire place used to be a former Buenos Aires mansion I was told. The Wi-Fi was free. The bathroom was brand new and beautiful. I can't comment much on the location, within the city, because I was only going to be in Buenos Aires for one night and I wasn't sure where I was! The neighborhood seemed safe enough as I walked to and from the steakhouse after dark.

The best things about this hotel? The staff, the price, the comfort of the room and the quietness. Overall, I can't think of anything I didn't like.

Room Tip: Ask them about the nearby steakhouse and the tango show.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were fortunate to book Hotel Boutique de Raco for our honeymoon. It was the highlight of our trip and a dream come true. We stayed in an amazing room upstairs with vaulted ceilings, modern fixtures, and a patio. They arranged a taxi for us to be picked up at the airport - the cab driver held a sign up with our last name and greeted us with a smile. We felt like royalty. The hotel staff were spot on with their suggestions for: sightseeing, restaurants, and night life. We loved our trip, and would go back to Buenos Aires just for the opportunity to stay at Hotel Boutique de Raco one more time.

Room Tip: Upstairs facing the street had a great view, good breeze, and was quiet.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buenos Aires
Montserrat
Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires
Moreno Hotel Buenos Aires
#62 of 442 in Buenos Aires

Been to Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!