All reviewslas violetaspope francischarming hotelhome away from homesubtesubwayneighborhoodrivadaviaboutique
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is more like a guest house and the grounds are charming. The room was lovely as well and we felt very comfortable here. We booked based on all the great trip advisor reviews, and as expected from them, the staff here was impeccable. Everyone was very friendly and ready to offer up tips on restaurants or sights. We loved the nearby Las Violetas for lunch and pastries and had a nice dinner at Mirasol as well, based on their reccs. There were a few minor downsides - the walls in our room were paper thin. We could hear every conversation of our neighbors word for word. That didn't make us feel too private. We may have had adjoining rooms and that was why, so perhaps another room would be quieter, but it only posed an issue from time to time. We also felt the hotel was a bit removed from the city center and took more cabs. But it's also quite close to the subway line, though that too, was a several-stop ride into town. Overall a great place if you don't mind being away from the center of things.

2  Thank EFH45
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have to agree with other reviews, the service in this hotel is just above and beyond! We started experiencing it even before the travel, when a week before the check-in date we recieved a phone call, which informed us that if we need any restaurant, show, taxi reservations or a pick up service from the airport, the hotel personnel was at our disposal. The hotel has a small number of rooms, which allows for a personal connection with the personnel who always have great suggestions for whatever it is you might be looking for. It made the hotel feel more like home. It is a bit further away from the center, but very close to many attractions such as tango shows, milongas, cafes and restaurants, as well as withing 5 min walk to the subway. It was a true pleasure discovering the area around the hotel. The only things that could be improved were a greater variety for breakfast and the bathrooms, which got a little cold in the winter. We would defenetly stay here again if traveling to Buenos Aires.

1  Thank OlgaBrosh
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights in July 2011. We were visiting Buenos Aires for the first time. Our experience witth this hotel is nothing short of amazing. The owner, Julian, made us feel very comfortable even before we arrived in BA. He had quick and accurate answers to all of our questions. he also arranged for us to be picked up at the airport by the very knowledgable MArio.
The hotel is more like a Bed & breakfast. it has 12 rooms with TV and AC/heat and full bathroom. the bed was the most amazing bed I have slept on! The breakfast offered is more than enough and it is a typical BA breakfast (juice, coffee or tea, sandwich, sweet breads, and of course, plenty of dulce de leche!).
The reason I would really recommend this hotel is the staff. The young ladies and gents that work there are always eager to help and go out of their way to meet your every need. They know the city very well and can recommend great places for everything.
Granted, Racó is not loacted in the chic part of town, but everythin you need is within walking distance, including the metro (subte) station (three bolcks). There is a great Gelato store close by that is to die for! We actually liked the neighborhood very much and made it a point to go out every evening and walked the streets of Almagro. We felt very safe.
In summary, this is a great place for couples, small families, singles, everybody! If you decide to stay here, you will be immersed in the true BA experience, and the staff will make you feel at home.

3  Thank alrubio
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Raco was stop 3 on our round the world trip. We arrived late at night and only had 1 full day at BA. When I mentioned this, the girl on reception (her name escapes me) recommended we see a Tango show that evening. She found us a reasonably priced on that was awesome. Price included show, dinner and return transport to the hotel, all organised in minutes by Raco. We were pretty weary at this point so she brought my husband a beer and me a glass of this amazing Argentinian wine called Torrontes. I ended up going to great lengths to buy it when I got back to London. The hotel had free wifi in the rooms, and the rooms themselves were beuatifully decorated and comfortable. They all open out to a courtyard and you have the option of having breakfast there too if the weather is nice. The staff were great, they did everything from recommending restaurants, helping me get my debit card unblocked, getting us to/from the airport and making us Argentinian traditional matte with breakfast on our last day. Lovely place made even better by the helpful, friendly staff who run it. It is awesome, and I will almost defintely be back as I also fell in love with Buenos Aires :)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JuliaP_79
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I booked a 5 night stay after reading the fantastic reviews on trip advisor. The hotel is a beautifully restored house, with a very welcoming staff who try to make your stay as pleasant as possible, however, there are many issues with the hotel that make it difficult for me to give it a great review. I travel a great deal for work and try to stay mostly in boutique hotels, often guided by trip advisor reviews. In the case of this hotel, I would say that sadly the set up leaves a lot to be desired as it lacks some basic things: there are no phones in the rooms, making it difficult to make and receive calls, the room we were in had no desk, just two chairs and two beds, and there was no safety deposit box in the room. The owner/manager put all three in my room after I indicated that I may have to change hotels because I found it unacceptable to stay in a hotel that lacked a phone and safety box and dealt with the situation very professionally, however, the phone line never quite worked and it rang at all times since it was connected to their main phone line. The safety deposit box could have been carried away with all my contents as it was small and placed on top of the minibar. Some expenses, such as the late check out and the breakfast (15 USD, a little high for what was served) were charged in US and some in Argentinian pesos which made the settling of the bill a bit confusing. To make matters worse, they do not give you a print out of your bill at the end, rather I received a hand-written post it note with the different expenses. When I asked for a detailed account, it was like I had asked for something virtually impossible and in the end I was given a receipt that did not include all the expenses but totaled the amount I had paid. In addition, you should be aware that they add about 20 percent to your bill if you pay by card rather than cash because " they have to charge you tax", this makes me wonder about how they operate. The location was another issue for me, I would recommend other hotels in Recoleta or Palermo as they are more convenient to attractions, we basically took taxis everywhere and the neighborhood did not feel entirely safe for two women at night. In speaking with the owner about some of the issues above, he reminded me that they were a small hotel and unlike the chain hotels, which is why I stayed here, but as far as small boutique hotels go, they need to change a few things about how to operate to really come up to the standard of a boutique hotel, I feel that they are more a step up from a bed and breakfast. Again, I would say that in terms of service the hotel deserves a great reputation, however, it lacks many of the services and amenities that would truly make it a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
13  Thank lolitatravels
JulianRomeo, Propietario at Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

We are most grateful for your review; it is always an inspiration, helping us to improve and provide a better service to our guests. Nevertheless, we would like to comment on some of the points you raised.
First and foremost, we have already installed a phone in every room that didn’t have one yet. The hotel has two free Wi-Fi networks with different providers and we have netbooks and laptops available for any guest who requires one.
Concerning our rooms, each one is unique in its decoration and furniture, but certainly a larger desk can be placed in any one of them, if that´s the guest’s need. This also applies in case a guest asks for a safety-deposit box. As this is a family-run hotel, safety issues are not a problem. It would be more likely for anyone with a master key to open a safe, than for someone to carry the box away, so this should not be a concern.
Regarding the charging of the services, please consider that anything that you ask to be delivered to the hotel (e.g. pizza, sushi, ice-cream, etc.) will be charged in Argentinian Pesos, since this is the currency used in Buenos Aires, according to local regulations. At the hotel, every extra service that we provide (e.g. wine, beer, laundry, etc.) or breakfast (when it is not included, for all direct reservations do) is charged in US Dollars as an exception. So, as you well said, it would be a bit confusing to set the bill if there were many extra charges from third party providers. That is why, we may simply write down a detailed list of those extra charges, unconnected with the hotel, just to comply with the guest’s petition. We certainly cannot add those charges to our bill. As a courtesy, if a guest orders any kind of delivery service, we personally pay for this in cash at the moment, no matter what the amount is, just to help making the stay more pleasant and enjoyable, without having to worry about little details. If, later on, the guest decides to pay us for those deliveries (which we have already paid in cash) with a credit card, we must add an extra 21% to the final amount, since that is the usual VAT in Argentina. Taxes must be paid.
Another point worth mentioning is the fact that you will always get breakfast if you book directly with us, contacting us by e-mail or telephone. It is “à la carte”, meaning guests can order as they please. Our general breakfast includes coffee, tea, chocolate and milk, orange juice, croissants, fruit salad, yogurth, cereals, toast, sandwiches and scrambled eggs. If a guest requires any additional product, for instance, according to a special meal plan, it will be included at no extra cost. The reservations made through travel agencies, usually online, will not include breakfast.
Last but not least, the importance of staying in a particular neighborhood has to do with your own interests. Many people come to Buenos Aires and think Palermo or Recoleta are the main spots, but actually the city has many other highlights and we happen to be in the middle of all of them. This is an absolutely safe area for tourists; we have never had any kind of issues in that respect. We are located in a calm and residential area, in the geographical center of the city, a great starting point to places such as La Boca, San Telmo, downtown and Palermo forests, or the whole Palermo and Recoleta area for that matter. In addition, if you want to stay in a splendid mansion from 1904, which is one of Buenos Aires´ architectural heritages, Racó is an excellent option.