“Unique experience, good company, great food”
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Ranked #15 of 6,902 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Recoleta
Description: We offer a unique social and dining experience, sharing a table with other guests in our home. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic — exploring the spices, herbs, chilies, and ingredients of the Andes, fused with global cuisine. Although not vegetarian, our focus is on fresh vegetables and fruits of the season as the key elements of each dish. We do tend to work with a lot of seafood, and generally at least one course will be fish and/or shellfish. It’s all about meeting new friends over good food and wine. For more than a decade, a truly don’t-miss experience for both travelers and locals!
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

We once had a meal in a private home in South Africa and it is one of our favorite memories. So, when we found Casa SaltShaker, we were excited to give it a try. When you make a reservation you are given the address where we were met by Henry, from Peru. He brought us down the long hallway to their home, took our jackets and welcomed us into their home. We were greeted by 4 other couples - 3 American and 1 Aussie. After a small cocktail we were sat at the communal table where Dan - the chef and from New York - began bringing us dish and glass one after the other. The food was very good and we were very full by the time we left. My favorite course was the soup - but apparently the menu changes weekly.

This is a unique experience to be welcomed into someone’s home, taste some delicious food and interact with others passing or permanently housed in BA. As a big traveler, I found it especially interesting hearing the stories of everyone, sharing our love of Argentina and learning about the hidden gems others had found.

We’ll be back!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank tigersz

Reviewed June 5, 2018

Dan and Henry do a great job of creating an original evening. The food and wine pairings are quite remarkable... Dan's cooking is that perfect balance of deliciously creative but not overwhelming or showy. The wines are all exquisite and Henry keeps the courses and service flowing. We had a full table with 8 people in total... everyone had great tips and experiences to share about traveling in and around BA. Great way to spend an evening!

2  Thank food-sun-shop
Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

The food is amazing fresh farm to table with great wine pairings and pre-dinner drink. Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in Buenos Aires.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed May 15, 2018

While planning my visit to BA, I was intrigued with the Closed-Door Restaurant idea, and chose Casa SaltShaker, because it was at the Chef's home. I made a reservation for a Thursday night knowing that it could be changed, if there were not enough reservations for that date. This did happen, and Dan was very good about contacting me via email and leaving a message at my hotel concerning the change of day. Luckily, I was available for the alternate date. It was one of my favorite meals in BA. The five course menu with wine pairings was incredible...loved the brussels sprout bisque soup, home made pasta, and cheesecake. What a delight to share this meal with six other interesting travelers. Since my traveling partner had other plans that night, I was single, but the communal table brought everyone together through lively conversation. Chef Dan and Henry were superb hosts, and I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in BA.

4  Thank RSR246
Reviewed May 15, 2018

We wanted to try the portas cerradas while in Buenos Aires and what an experience!
We enjoyed everything, the food was good, the wines were excellent and we were lucky to share this meal with other same minded travelers. Henry did great with the service, very efficient. Dan also shared with us his knowledge of the local way of doing things. This will remain as a great memory when we go back home.
We would recommend this experience to anyone who is open minded and does not mind having dinners with perfect strangers

4  Thank Liany