“An excellent choice, especially for a solo traveller”
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Ranked #4 of 5,538 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Recoleta
Description: Welcome to Casa SaltShaker. We offer a unique dining experience, sharing a table with other guests at our home in Barrio Norte. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic with a Mediterranean base. It's all about meeting new friends over good food and wine.Bienvenidos a Casa SaltShaker (Salero). Ofrecemos una experiencia gastronómica única, compartiendo una mesa con otros comensales en nuestra casa de Barrio Norte. El ambiente es informal y la conversación animada. Nuestra cocina es ecléctica con una base mediteránea. Se trata de conocer nuevos amigos y sobre todo de gustar buena comida y buen vino.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was my first experience of closed door dining, which was perfect for a solo female traveller who didn't fancy traipsing about the streets late at night in search of a solo restaurant meal. It was also lovely to be welcomed into a locaI home.

I had a wonderful time which passed all too quickly; convivial group of guests, and the food and wine pairings were awesome. Special mention - best ceviche I've ever had - I could have just sat there all evening eating mounds of it with a soupspoon! Ditto for the hearts of palm pie which was a new taste experience for me.

A very nice evening all round. Thank you, Dan and Henry.

1  Thank KarenMas0n

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was first trip to Buenos Aires and did quite a bit of research for restaurants. I stumbled upon Casa Saltshaker and immediately was hooked. I couldn't believe this concept existed and quickly booked my seat at the table. Opening your home to strangers and cooking several courses for them (why didn't I think of this first?)? Dan promptly answered, offered me a seat at the table and I I was on my way. My need to blend in with the locals was quickly satiated as I showed up to a typical neighborhood and rang doorbell and was greeted by Henry. The night began with a drink and introduction to a table of 6 strangers. The theme of the night was based on their recent trip in South America and each course was paired with a great wine. One great thing to note is that the menu changes based on Dan and Henry's experiences and where they travel, thus the menu (for those coming from the states) isn't always "Argentinean cuisine" that you would find at a restaurant around the corner. It shows you more of the range Dan has based on experiences, which adds to the ambiance of having dinner at someone's house. GREAT way of doing it.
Dan and Henry took the time to explain each course and the wine paired along with it and made sure we felt at home. The food was amazing! Flavors and ingredients I had never had (some I had not even heard of before) created such an amazing array of tastes and smells. The night was capped with a great conversation with some other people who attended and a warm departure from hour hosts-Dan and Henry. My only regret is I didn't plan far enough ahead to be able to go twice in my 10 day visit (waited til the last evening before I left). In any case, it was a great farewell dinner for my visit to BA. ¡Muchisimas Gracias!

1  Thank THE_Eurodan
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently dined at Casa Saltshaker based on the recommendations of friends who raved about their experience the week before. We shared the table with diners interested in food, wine, travel and much more. What a great way to get a glimpse of local culture from our hosts Dan and Henry, while enjoying fantastic food! Our menu was inspired by their recent trip to the Amazon (which was not on our itinerary!) using local ingredients and inventive culinary twists. I am hoping that Dan will share the recipe for his cilantro and fish soup, which was outstanding.

We especially liked sharing a common table with others, which turned out to be so much more enjoyable than dining at separate tables. Dan and Henry were excellent hosts and offered insight into Buenos Aires (where to eat and shop, local customs, travel tips). We are planning to try closed door dining on future trips and we hope that they can measure up to this experience.

1  Thank Betzia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I are currently on our honeymoon in BA and couldn't wait to write our review for Casa Saltshaker! We ate there last night and met a great group of folks traveling from the US and UK. The food, wine, atmosphere, and company were wonderful! We usually never write reviews for places but felt like we had to for Casa Saltshaker because of how amazing it was!

Living in NYC and eating out often at some of the best places in the world (Per Se, Daniel, Eleven Madison Park), my husband and I are definitely critical of our meals. At Casa Saltshaker, Dan far exceeded our expectations with his dishes and was on par if not better than the restaraunts I previously mentioned. We felt that the food was done perferfectly and the wine pairing was spot on! We don't have one complaint for this place, and it is definitely worth the price- on our walk home my husband and I noted that if Dan was cooking in US/UK, this would have been a 600$US meal, so we definitely felt we were getting a deal.

We also exchanged contact information with a few guests and definitely plan to see them in the future so all in all it was a wonderful night!

2  Thank KristenNYC
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Casa Saltshaker during our September trip to Buenos Aires. This was our first experienced of a closed door dinner and it was very positive. The setting was intimate, with the 10 of us situated around a common table. The group dynamic was fun and it was a great chance to exchange travel advise and compare out notes on Argentine culture. As virtually all the other reviews here attest, the food was excellent. Dan and Henry do an excellent job of presenting creative dishes with well paired wines. We will definitely be trying some of his recipes. Dan is an especially hospitable host and gave great advise about the dining scene in Buenos Aires.

2  Thank Ryan W